Recommended Johnny Cash vinyl

Tonto Yoder

Recommended Johnny Cash vinyl
« on: 27 Feb 2003, 03:35 am »
Box from Red Trumpet came today--Johnny Cash's newest "Man Comes Around" and a new copy of Neil Young's "Decade."

JC is very interesting from an audio point-of-view since his voice is rather limited lately, but it seems to me to bring out why vinyl-lovers LOVE vinyl--the LP just sounds so much more "realistic" than many CD's sound. That's a good thing/bad thing since JC's real voice has a number of nooks and crannies some might prefer to leave unexplored.  The Trent Reznor penned "Hurt" (originally from "Downward Spiral") has been the most infectious so far.  The cover of Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" doesn't work for me since I can't help comparing JC's craggy limited range to the soaring heights of Garfunkel's.  Maybe others will feel different. Another similar clunker is "Personal Jesus," Johhny's cover of the Depeche Mode song.

One great thing is that the 2 LP set includes bonus tracks not found on the CD and that it wasn't dumb-expensive like some vinyl CAN be.
http://www.johnnycash.com/songclips/songclips.htm

PeteG

Latest Music Archive: 02/27/03 - 03/20/03
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2003, 04:23 am »
I ordered Norah Jones/come away with me, new 200g LP from Blue Note
and Hilery Hahn/Brahms & Stravinsky concertos on SACD and picked up
a pure DSD SACD of mahler/#6.

They should be in next week :D

-Pete

bob82274

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2003, 06:14 pm »
How much was the 200g LP?  Bluenote puts out some good stuff so you should be in for a treat.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2003, 06:18 pm »
I believe it's this LP, not a Blue Note but a Classic Records pressing:

http://www.musicangle.com/norajones.html

Price--

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=LCLA5004

PeteG

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2003, 12:04 am »
As Tonto said it's a classic records pressing, from blue note
and the price looks about the same everywhere $26.99.

I heard there will be a SACD disc coming out soon too.

RoyC

Dire Straits
« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2003, 01:19 am »
Picked up the remastered version of the album with no title other than Dire Straits.  (Picture of a woman in  the shadows in a room with big bay windows) I figure this is probablly their first album??  Anyway it sounds really great.  Especially like "Six Blade Knife" and "Wild West End".

John Bauder

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2003, 08:12 pm »
I just picked up an LP at a garage sale for 50 cents.  Never opened.  Mozart - Symphony No. 40 in G Minor, K550/Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, K525 recorder on Decca in 1978 by the Israeli Philharmonic.  Sweet!

John Bauder

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2003, 08:14 pm »
I just picked up an LP at a garage sale for 50 cents.  Never opened.  Mozart - Symphony No. 40 in G Minor, K550/Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, K525 recorded on Decca in 1978 by the Israeli Philharmonic.  Sweet!

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2003, 01:06 am »
I am very pleased with both the new Porcupine Tree and King Crimson :mrgreen:

I also picked up the Zebrahead SACD, not worthy of SACD soundquality but still a good alb.  Picked up a few of Tori Amos albs, I knew I had always liked her but to me she is a modern day jazz artist, which means she is worth listening to as opposed...

Lost81

Recent CD purchases
« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2003, 10:34 am »
1) The Very Best of Michael Nyman (2 CD) [The man who brought you soundtrack scores such as "The Piano" and "Gattaca" - the latter showing influences by Glass]

2) Michael Nyman & the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra - "The Piano Concerto" + Music commissioned for the launch of the MGV High-Speed Bullet Train [Track#9 - Movement No.5 is particulary beautiful]

3) Philip Glass - Naqoyqatso

4) Philip Glass - Low Symphony (with Brian Eno & David Bowie)

5) Philip Glass - The Photographer

6) Philip Glass - Glass Works

7) Soundtrack - Bladerunner (Music composed by Vangelis Papathanassiou)
[Vangelis is better known for his Oscar-winning score for "Chariots of Fire" (1982)]

8) Soundtrack - Twin Peaks [Got this just for David Lynch & Angelo Badalamenti's #11 "Falling"]

9) Soundtrack - American McGee's "Alice" [twisted version of "Alice in Wonderland" computer game] [Composed by Chris Vrenna, member of Nine Inch Nails]

10) Yo-Yo-Ma - Simply Baroque II [No introduction needed]

11) Soundtrack - Royal Tenenbaums (New & Sealed)

12) Charlotte Church - Enchantment (New & Sealed) [Yes, you may start laughing now. But did you know she did all of the soaring vocals in the soundtrack and score to "A Beautiful Mind"?]

13) Kitaro - Asia [Sucks, stay away from it. Bad compositions, even worse recording/mastering quality]

14) Single - Sarah McLachlan - Angel [Got this just for track #2 "Ice Cream" 'live' - think of a female version of Sting's "Roxanne" 'live']

15) Soundtrack - The Hours - Philip Glass. [Watch the movie with a sensitive and non-garrulous soul. It is the equivalent of an emotional root-canal. NOT a date movie. Ed Harris commands a titanic, majestic and yet tragic, Dostoevskian character by the name of "Richard."]

16) America - The Greatest Hits. Remastered

17) Ivy - Realistic [Excellent Chill-Out Ambient music by a breathless-voiced French lady living in NYC]

18) Ivy - My Apartment Life

19) Ivy - Long Distance [Track #3 "Edge of the Ocean" is used in the music score to the TV series "Roswell"]

20) Roy Orbison - 16 Greatest Hits (Monument/Legacy) [For a CD proporting to be in HDCD format, it sure sucks in quality]

21) Billie Holiday - Love Songs (1996 Columbia/Legacy) [For a CD with a 20-bit re-mastering badge, its quality is so dismal I only played it once since owning it]

22) Soundtrack - Don Juan de Marco [Yes, I love Brian Adams. Now go away]

23) Soundtrack - Bram Stoker's Dracula [Got this just for Annie Lennox's "Love Song for a Vampire"]

24) Soundtrack - The Lord of the Rings - Howard Shore - Fellowship of the Ring
[Enya's "May It Be" is reason enough to get this]

25) Soundtrack - The Lord of the Rings - Howard Shore - The Two Towers
[#8 Evenstar, featuring Isabel Bayrakdarian, & #19 Gollum's Song, performed by Emiliana Torrini, justify the succumbing to lemming-led-consumerism here]

I have been playing so much Philip Glass that my roommate has threatened violence on me if I don't give his ears a break from my aural minimalism.  ;-p

That's all, folks!

Later!

benny
---
Look, one says to oneself, look how cold the world is growing. Some more years will pass, and after them will come gloomy solitude; then will come old age trembling on its crutch, and after it misery and desolation. Your fantastic world will grow pale, your dreams will fade and die and will fall like yellow leaves from the trees... (White Nights, Feodor Dostoevsky)

PJ

« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2003, 11:50 am »
Sasha - Airdawndagger

Still listening to it for the first time. Seems OK, but I never know how much I really like a CD until I have listened to it 10+ times.

bob82274

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2003, 08:43 pm »
I enjoy Airdrawndagger...  Its a staple in my car.  I have to make the Raleigh/Charlotte trip (3hrs) quite a bit and its through some really boring areas.  Unfortunatly techno/trance makes me speed a little bit  :oops:.  70 in a 35 is not advised.

HarleyMYK

« Reply #12 on: 9 Mar 2003, 11:33 pm »
John Previti Quartet, "Swinging Lullabyes for my Rosetta".  I like the CD a lot, but I am prejudiced, since I was bass player (as is Previti).  

Another very clean Mapleshade recording, but with one thing which is odd for me.  In some cuts, the vibes appear to have been mic'ed across two microphones.  One microphone seems to be near the high-pitched small keys and the other near the big keys.  On my near field system, no problem, but on my larger system, with the speakers 10 feet apart, it appears that the vibe player has an instrument (and arms) that span 12 feet, with a sort of disconnect in the middle of the instrument.  

If you like swing and jazz ballads, I recommend the recording - good music, recording, and chops (IMHO).

BlackCat

« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2003, 03:17 pm »
Patti Smith - Wave
I actually bought this because I wanted one song - "Dancing Barefoot", but I am actually very impressed with the rest of the album too.  Nice recording.

Roxy Music - Concerto
Double disc Roxy live in Denver, 1979 - Manifesto tour.  Surprisingly good live recording.  Not the best selection of Roxy songs, but great performances by Manzanera and Ferry.

nature boy

New Album Purchases
« Reply #14 on: 10 Mar 2003, 10:51 pm »
I picked up a copy of Wilco's new album and Aretha Franklin's "I never loved a man the way I love you" on the 4 men and a beard label.  I usually hate to buy new vinyl, but these albums are really special.

W.C.

« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2003, 05:52 am »
For those of you that were into "underground music" back in the 60's, I just picked up a copy of The Best Of The Frost. Just released a few days ago.  The entire cd was recorded live at the Grande Ball Room in Detroit in 69.

Sotantar

• stevenbreit.acnrep.com
New Music
« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2003, 06:34 pm »
Hi all!!

Well, im really into progressive rock and here is what I just got.  I got the new Karmakanic album, this is a project from the bass player from The Flower Kings.  Real good and good sound quality as well.  Everclear, is another prog band from Sweden.  The album is called Recreation Day.  I just got it and it sounds pretty great.  OSI, Office of Strategic Influence;  This is a new project album from Mike Portnoy.  It features the original keyboardist from Dream Theatre and the Guitarist from Fates Warning.  Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson also sings on a Track.  Its real good and sounds pretty good as well.  Symphony X's new album, Odyssey is great.  Pain of Salvation rules.  Peace

BlackCat

Norah Jones got nothin' on this chick
« Reply #17 on: 17 Mar 2003, 07:48 pm »
Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly
I've actually had this CD for about 10 years, just haven't listened to it in about as long.  With my new system, it's become one of my favourites.  The (used to be at least) lovely Hope Sandoval is the lead singer, and it's so pretty you just want to undress her and bang her softly.  Yeah, I said softly, you just wanna make love to her.  Great guitar work also.  Somewhat reminds me of very early Margo Timmons and Cowboy Junkies, but more subdued.  This was a band that deserved a lot more attention than it got.  Norah Jones only wishes she could sing like that.

JoshK

« Reply #18 on: 17 Mar 2003, 07:57 pm »
Recently picked up

Hope Sandoval and the Warm Intentions - Bavarian Fruit Bread (good)

Marbles

I hit the MOTHER LOAD!!
« Reply #19 on: 20 Mar 2003, 02:35 am »
Last week in Indy I bought about 40 LP's to get my LP collection back up to speed.

Yesterday I found out about a store in my home town that sold LP's.

I went there today and bought mint copies in plastic of:

LP Albums

AC/DC
High Voltage
Back in Black

Aerosmith
Dream On
Rocks
Toys in the Attic
Draw the line
Get your Wings

Beatles
Live at the Star Club
Rock 'N' Roll Music
67-70
62-66
Rubber Soul
Let it Be
At the Hollywood Bowl
Magical Mystery Tour
Anthology 2
Anthology 3

Dire Straits
Dire Straits
Brothers In Arms

Boston
Boston

Led Zepplin
Houses of the Holy
Led Zep II
Led Zep III
Soso (IV)
Physical Grafetti
In through the Out Door

Steely Dan
Greatest Hits

As mentioned above all the LP's were mint ......

I had to stop looking after about 10 minutes because my wallet couldn't handle any more :-(