Has anyone seen this before?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 28 Feb 2003, 09:21 pm »
I was going thru my CDs yesterday to find something to listen to, and I realized I hadn't listened to O'Connor's "The American Seasons" in awhile.  When I opened the case to grab the disc, I noticed that the disc was labled "Super Audio/ DSD/ Stereo-Multichannel" and has the disclaimer "THIS DISC IS DESIGNED FOR USE IN SUPER AUDIO CD PLAYERS ONLY".  Now given that this is a Sony, I thought, "Cool, I've got one more SACD than I thought."

But when I went to play the disc, it's only a CD; no SACD layer, and it's not a hybrid.  I played it in my CD player several times before I bought my universal player.  So I looked at the box and it mentions that the recording was pure DSD, but makes no mention of a SACD layer.

So I wonder, do they make an SACD version, and did my CD just get misprinted on top?  This would be strange, but not unheard of.  Years ago my brother bought "KISS ALIVE III", got it home and put it in the player and it was MEL TORME!  The disc & jewel case both said "KISS"!  Damned odd.

At any rate, this was dissappointing, but the DSD-recorded CD version does sound quite good.  Just a shame it didn't turn out to be a hybrid.

brotherman-5th floor

« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2003, 03:38 am »
Rob, my copy says the exact same things on it but it won't play on a regular CD player-just on my SACD player. It has both a stereo and a multi-ch layer.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2003, 04:25 am »
What is marked on the jewel case?  Mine definately dsn't contain any SACD layer, only redbook.  Mine was sold as a CD, and despite the printing on the top of the disc, it is a CD.  Does the jacket indicate yours is an SACD?

brotherman-5th floor

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2003, 10:46 pm »
No SACD mentioned on the jacket, just DSD. HOWEVER, there's a plastic transparent cover over the jewel box with teh SACD logo and Multichannel/Stereo in the front and the SACD, DSD, Stereo/Multi-ch logos in the back. Alos in the back is the warning that this disk is designed for use in SACD players only.

The CD number on the side of the jacket is SK 89660 and the barcode on the back cover is 9699-89660-2

I hope this helps

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2003, 01:02 am »
Thanks, BroMan.  I'll check the numbers on my copy.