What kind of stands are people using for their IB1's ?

jethro

PMC has a custom stand (14" I believe) for the IB1 however it doesn't look like it would be overly stable if given a bump. Sound Anchor will make custom 4-post stands, however, they are expensive and somewhat heavy to ship (they ship filled). At the moment my newly purchased IB1's are sitting on towels on the floor. What are other owners using ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2003, 03:59 pm »
IB1 Stands or all large PMC speaker stands should have 4 contact points - one in each corner. The reason is that the energy accumulates there exactly as it would in a room - the corners - so the purpose of the stand is to remove this energy as efficently as possible.
The stand should be ridged and the legs should not be filled to the top -they should be filled about 1/3 to 1/2 of each leg.
With IB1's you want the mids to be about ear level at the seated position so the stand should be about 17 inches high.

james

Thunder

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2003, 12:56 am »
Quote from: James Tanner
IB1 Stands or all large PMC speaker stands should have 4 contact points - one in each corner. The reason is that the energy accumulates there exactly as it would in a room - the corners - so the purpose of the stand is to remove this energy as efficently as possible.
The stand should be ridged and the legs should not be filled to the top -they should be filled about 1/3 to 1/2 of each leg.
With IB1's you want the mids to be about ear level at the seated position so the stand should be about 17 inches high.

james

Hi James,

I've bought custom stands for my IB1's with a three leg structure. Given your comment above, how much of an issue is this in a serious 2 channel set-up?

Also, I've filled each of the stands to the top with 125lbs of lead shot given that I was led to belive that the added weight will help tighten up low-end response. I previously had them filled with cat litter but the lead shot has improved low-end response. Just curious as to why you are suggesting that they only be partially filled? Any comment on using lead shot as the filling? Anything better? Any advantage of adding weight to the top of the speaker?

Scott

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2003, 02:49 am »
Hi Scott,

Lead shot is fine and 3 posts VS 4 is not a big issue.
The reason you do not fill to the top is you want the leg to act as a conduit to drain energy. The metal is an excellent channel for the energy to leave the speaker and then when it travels down the leg it hits the MASS of the lead and is dissipated as heat. If the mass is directly at the top of the leg then it does not move away from the speaker as quickly.

james

Thunder

In case you're interested...
« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2003, 09:41 pm »
I posted some pics of my set-up which includes shots of a 3 legged custom stand for my IB1's. Go to the gallery section to view under my alias "thunder". If you are interested in having some stands made I can put you in touch with guy who made them for me.

Scott

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2003, 09:48 pm »
Hi Scott,

The room looks great - did Gary do the stands for you?

james

Thunder

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2003, 12:50 am »
Thanks James. Yes, Gary did the stands.

Scott

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2003, 01:14 pm »
Hi Scott,

I have commisioned Gary to do similar stands for us to use with PMC - they will be 4 post versions and they will be available for the IB1, IB2 and MB2.

james

Thunder

« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2003, 04:21 pm »
Good stuff James. I'm sure you'll be pleased with them, Gary's workmanship is top shelf.

BTW, I took your advice and moved my IB1 center forward so that it is the same distance to the primary listening position as that of the mains (was previously right under the screen). It does sound better. I am now getting a deeper and moree layered sound stage than before. I am also now picking up on some of the more subtle sounds that I did not notice previously. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
Scott

pavlosn

Stands for IB1s IB2s
« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2005, 03:34 am »
Quote from: James Tanner
Hi Scott,

I have commisioned Gary to do similar stands for us to use with PMC - they will be 4 post versions and they will be available for the IB1, IB2 and MB2.

james

Are these stands available for sale now? Can we have details and/or a photo?

Regards

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2005, 12:52 pm »
Hi pav,

Have the MB2 stands still available which Gary made for us but we sold out of the IB1 stands. They are 20 inches high with posts in all four corners
Also have 3 pairs of Sound Anchor 20 inch stands designed specifically for the IB1 or IB2 - again with 4 posts.

james

canucks0

How do I contact GARY
« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2006, 12:28 pm »
Anyone know how I can contact Gary to make some stands for me for the IB1's?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2006, 12:54 pm »
Hi,

I am with Gary at the Montreal Audio Show - I will ask him to get in touch.

james

Thunder

Re: How do I contact GARY
« Reply #13 on: 25 Mar 2006, 04:58 pm »
Quote from: canucks0
Anyone know how I can contact Gary to make some stands for me for the IB1's?

Gary's web site is www.designprogression.com On it you can see samples of his stands. If you check out the photos of rooms, you'll see my IB1's on his stands. His phone number is 905 593 2265

canucks0

« Reply #14 on: 1 Apr 2006, 01:26 pm »
Does anyone know the correct email to Gary at Design Progression who manufactures stands for the IB1's? I'm going with the 4 pillar design to be filled 3/4 of the way with lead shot #8 and going with the 17" height. Thanks. Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 1 Apr 2006, 01:34 pm »
Quote from: canucks0
Does anyone know the correct email to Gary at Design Progression who manufactures stands for the IB1's? I'm going with the 4 pillar design to be filled 3/4 of the way with lead shot #8 and going with the 17" height. Thanks. Dave

designprogression@rogers.com

james

Bill310

Re: What kind of stands are people using for their IB1's ?
« Reply #16 on: 10 Oct 2015, 12:20 am »
Sorry to post up on an old topic.

I have "misplaced" the spikes for my PMC LB1 Stands.

Does anyone know the thread pitch and the spike diameter?