Possible Maggie.7i purchase soon

Servingthemusic.com

Possible Maggie.7i purchase soon
« on: 10 Oct 2015, 12:35 am »
Hi guys:

I am a happy owner of Harbeth Compact 7ES3's, and Bryston Mini Ts'.

I just set up a system in my office and and I am thinking Maggie .7i's would be perfect.

I did hear them at the dealer and was impressed. None of the weakness will apply to my set up,
i.e., limited SPL output, bass weight etc.

Anyone have a similar set up?

josh358

Re: Possible Maggie.7i purchase soon
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2015, 02:03 am »
I bought a couple of MMG's for my home office. They turned out to be so surprisingly good that I used them for a couple of years as my temporary main speakers! And by all accounts, the larger, all-quasi-ribbon .7's are even better. I think it will be a winning system as long as you have a few feet of space behind the speakers. Otherwise, I'd go for the on-walls.

If you're going to be listening at your desk, you could also consider the Mini Maggies -- I thought they were spectacular when I heard them, and they're very practical for an office. With their true ribbon tweeter, they really do sound comparable to the 3.7's, as long as you're listening in the near field.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2015, 02:23 am »
I bought a couple of MMG's for my home office. They turned out to be so surprisingly good that I used them for a couple of years as my temporary main speakers! And by all accounts, the larger, all-quasi-ribbon .7's are even better. I think it will be a winning system as long as you have a few feet of space behind the speakers. Otherwise, I'd go for the on-walls.

If you're going to be listening at your desk, you could also consider the Mini Maggies -- I thought they were spectacular when I heard them, and they're very practical for an office. With their true ribbon tweeter, they really do sound comparable to the 3.7's, as long as you're listening in the near field.

Thanks for the reply!

I thought about MMGs as well. The .7i's are just about the right size, I can't go any bigger, and smaller might be a tad too small.

I have powered B&O speakers at my desk, so my listening will be in a nice leather chair.

I will have about 2 two 3 feet behind the speakers, at most.

I could, for due diligence, order the MMGs for in home trial and see if they suffice.

josh358

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2015, 12:10 pm »
I'm sure you'd be happy with the MMG's, but by all accounts, the .7's are a better speaker, so that's what I'd go with if it were me. If you can get 3' behind them, I think you'll be very happy, doubly so if you can put diffusers behind them at the first reflection point to make the room acoustically bigger. They'll work at 2', too, it's just that they'll sound better further out -- at some point, the on-walls become a better sonic choice since they're designed to operate in close proximity to the wall (they send the backwave off to the sides and they're tuned to take the wall's base reinforcement into account).

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2015, 04:01 pm »
I'm sure you'd be happy with the MMG's, but by all accounts, the .7's are a better speaker, so that's what I'd go with if it were me. If you can get 3' behind them, I think you'll be very happy, doubly so if you can put diffusers behind them at the first reflection point to make the room acoustically bigger. They'll work at 2', too, it's just that they'll sound better further out -- at some point, the on-walls become a better sonic choice since they're designed to operate in close proximity to the wall (they send the backwave off to the sides and they're tuned to take the wall's base reinforcement into account).

I think you are right in that the .7s are going to be the better speaker without question. The bass spec alone make it clear.

The cool thing is that they give you a full credit towards a trade up. 

I do have diffusers on the back wall, so i should be good to go.