Super V vs Spatial

Shakeydeal

Super V vs Spatial
« on: 16 Feb 2018, 01:29 pm »
I asked this question on the Spatial forum, but didn't get much buzz. Does anyone have any thought on Danny's Super V as compared to any of the Spatial offerings? Particularly the M3 Triode Master, which is the one I am most interested in. But any and all comparisons are welcome.

Shakey

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Super V vs Spatial
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2018, 04:39 pm »
   They are both excellent designs. Hard to say as I have heard both. Different systems so hard to tell. Determine which one suits your room more. Then the only way to know is to get them and listen. Hard with a DIY speaker though unless there is an owner close by.

charles

Shakeydeal

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2018, 05:09 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I already own the Super V. Just thinking about bringing the Triode Master in for an audition, so wanted opinions.

Shakey

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2018, 05:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I already own the Super V. Just thinking about bringing the Triode Master in for an audition, so wanted opinions.

Shakey

Well that's easy. Just get the Spatial and return if not your cup of tea. It must be heard with your system as you well know. BTW what type of music spins at your house ? What amp ?

charles

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2018, 06:14 pm »
BTW, the OB bass that is in the Super V's even Clayton acknowledges is the best bass system available (he uses it himself, on his top of the line OB offering the Lumina at $20,000).  So the Super V's will clearly be better in the bass.  Mids/highs, IMO I've heard both and it's a toss up.  The Super V's are absolutely more dynamic.  The M3s are smoother. 

If you want smoother up top AND want to keep the crazy good bass, look at the Otica model along with the Servo OB subs as stands.  My 2c. 

Shakeydeal

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2018, 06:31 pm »

Well that's easy. Just get the Spatial and return if not your cup of tea. It must be heard with your system as you well know. BTW what type of music spins at your house ? What amp ?

charles

The amp is a Line Magnetic 518i. The music runs the gamut from 75% rock, with the rest being jazz, blues and americana. A little bit of everything

Shakey

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2018, 09:42 pm »
BTW, the OB bass that is in the Super V's even Clayton acknowledges is the best bass system available (he uses it himself, on his top of the line OB offering the Lumina at $20,000).  So the Super V's will clearly be better in the bass.  Mids/highs, IMO I've heard both and it's a toss up.  The Super V's are absolutely more dynamic.  The M3s are smoother. 

If you want smoother up top AND want to keep the crazy good bass, look at the Otica model along with the Servo OB subs as stands.  My 2c.

After owning Super-V's, Tyson has a great point.  Hard to go back from Servo subs.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2018, 10:07 pm »
One thing about the Spatial's is they need a long break in period. Brand new out of the box and 55 hours in I seriously thought about returning them. Wasn't until 95 hours that they began to show signs of promise. That was 95 hours of being *pushed hard* with bass heavy music.  So if you are going to try them, you need to slam them hard with everything you've got for at least 200 hours before passing judgement.

Haven't heard the Super V's but if you're happy with them, I'd stick with them until you're ready to make the leap to the X-2.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2018, 10:19 pm »

Just adding my 2 cents on the OB Bass of the Super V's. Very hard to beat (unless you are after HT/LFE). Unless, of course, you add more of them - 3 to 6 a side have been done. I've heard 3 a side and it was spectacular. I can only imagine 6 a side like HAL has.  :o :drool:

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2018, 04:49 am »
I have a pair of M3 Triode Masters (Jeez, I love that name) and a pair of the GR Research OB subs (2 driver model).  I have a DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 dsp unit keeping the subs very tight and accurate and yes, the subs do add bass that the Spatials are lacking, but not a lot.  The main advantage to me is that it allows me to use low powered tube amps on the Spatials - right now I am feeding them with just 12 watts and it gets very loud.  I think with a powerful amp on the Spatials (I have one of Mike's new Mivera amps on order) the bass will improve, but we will have to see if the Mivera amp can beat my Shindo Montille 6V6 on sound quality.  Either way I am a winner.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2018, 12:50 am »
I want to thank everyone for their insight. For the time being i am going to stay put. The Super V is a great speaker and it might truly take the x-2 to really best it.

Shakey

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2018, 01:16 am »
Sound like a sensible plan. Unless there's something about the Super V's that bugs you, there's no point in making a move. Personally I don't think I can do better (new or used) for the money than I did with the M3ts. They are not the end all be all but for what they cost me ($4500 CAD) I have yet to hear anything I'd rather have.  :D