Startup -- Drama about crime, bitcoin, Internet

rjbond3rd

Startup -- Drama about crime, bitcoin, Internet
« on: 13 Nov 2017, 05:37 pm »
Startup is a dark crime drama where companies are racing to develop new Bitcoin types of crypto-currencies for darknet markets.  It stars Martin Freeman (Fargo, Sherlock, Hobbit), Ron Perlman (Sons of Anarchy) among many others.

Although the show is very high-tech, it's also gritty (and tragic, and at times, violent).

It streams for free (with commercials) on Sony's Crackle.com network (https://www.crackle.com/startup).

Folsom

Re: Startup -- Drama about crime, bitcoin, Internet
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2017, 02:17 am »
That sounds stupid beyond belief. Bitcoin isnt untraceble in the least. I can only imagine the horrendous damage it will do towards cryptos.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2017, 03:32 am »
That sounds stupid beyond belief. Bitcoin isnt untraceble in the least. I can only imagine the horrendous damage it will do towards cryptos.

I'm not sure where you're getting any of that. But not from the show, I would say.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2017, 07:03 pm »
There is a sea of news articles about how easy bitcoin can be tracked. There's numerous articles about how little it gets used for crime. (honestly, that's a dumb concern considering how much fiat is used for everything)

I know a lot about cryptos.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2017, 07:45 pm »
The show isn't saying Bitcoin can't be tracked. I don't know where you're getting that from. Given your background in crypto, though, it sounds like you'd really like this show.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2017, 12:05 am »
Do they cover the fact that the crypto she created has to be running all over the globe to be safe, on public computers?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2017, 12:25 am »
Do they cover the fact that the crypto she created has to be running all over the globe to be safe, on public computers?

I know one way you could find out...

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2017, 01:09 am »
I can't get it to play. Not on Firefox or Chromium. Maybe it needs that silverlight horseshit or something that comes with Windows.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2017, 01:54 am »
I can't get it to play. Not on Firefox....
It's the embedded ads that stops the film from playing. The same thing happens to me when I watch CBS Sunday Morning from the CBS site later in the day.
The solution is to disable AdBlock.
Firefox 57.0 (64 bit) plays Startup just fine with AdBlock disabled but enable Adblock and it's a no go.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2017, 05:04 pm »

They touch on the global scale a few times. But I'm not sure if it's for that reason -- are you willing to explain why the crypto is only safe if it's running all over the globe?  That seems very intriguing and definitely beyond my knowledge. Thank you in advance.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2017, 05:40 pm »
The show has just been renewed for a third season.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2017, 12:36 am »
They touch on the global scale a few times. But I'm not sure if it's for that reason -- are you willing to explain why the crypto is only safe if it's running all over the globe?  That seems very intriguing and definitely beyond my knowledge. Thank you in advance.

I suggest you read this.

Bitcoin wouldn't have any value if it were not running nodes and miners all over the globe.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2017, 01:39 am »
Great article, thank you! Yes, I think the show understands the blockchain.  Anyway, it's a drama so it's the premise but not really the focus.

I would say it's just a bit less savvy than Mr. Robot.