New to Modwright - question about my LS100

Drew769

New to Modwright - question about my LS100
« on: 10 Nov 2017, 04:01 am »
Hi All,

I just bought a pre-owned LS100, replacing a Rogue Audio Perseus Magnum in my setup.  So far I am really impressed with the very wide and deep soundstage and almost holographic nature to much of my music.  The Rogue was no slouch in this regard, but the Modwright easily beats it.  On top of that, it’s just a beautiful piece of hardware to look at.

My question is about the volume pot and specifically the motorized function.  At first, I thought the motor was not functioning at all, but I could hear it despite the knob not turning.  I powered down and opened up the unit, and realized that it was in fact working, but seemed to be getting caught up depending on where in it was in its rotation.  I think it is getting too much resistance at the point where it goes through the faceplate.  When I reconnected everything and pulled the faceplate as upright as possible before tightening everything down again, it functioned much better.

So now when I power up the unit, it will mute and then turn itself all the way down to 6 o clock on the dial.  From that position, the motor doesn’t have the oomph to turn the knob louder width the remote.  I have to manually turn it up to 7 o clock or so (where it is marked “0”on the faceplate),and then the motor will function.  It will not turn all the way down either - it’s gets hung up in that same spot near 7 o clock.  I have sound at 7 o clock, by the way - six is where it’s quiet.

Anyone else have issues with the volume knob?   I’m thinking maybe some clear lube at the inside of the hole where the volume control passes through?

billc

Re: New to Modwright - question about my LS100
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2017, 06:52 am »
Call Dan at Modwright.  He will guide you on the best course of action.  His customer service is extraordinary.

I have the LS100 and love it.  You might ask him about NOS tube upgrade suggestions, if you haven't upgraded already.  It can make a significant difference...

Bill C

Drew769

Re: New to Modwright - question about my LS100
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2017, 08:19 pm »
I called MW and spoke with Kristin and Dan, and I'm all squared away - an easy fix.  Nice guy and great customer service.  The preamplifier is sounding even better by the day as the tubes break in.  I'm very happy with my decision!

Next up might be the MW mod to my Sony HAP Z1ES...