I am stuck! Looking for the perfect midrange, I ask for help

studiotech

Re: I am stuck! Looking for the perfect midrange, I ask for help
« Reply #40 on: 10 Nov 2011, 04:03 am »
Why Does everyone think the neo 10's can't go lower than 300hz? Zaph's measurements show very low distortion at 150hz and lower. The neo 10's designer told me that this driver has inherently low distortion down to 40hz relative to the signal, due to the diametrically opposed magnet arrangement(Admittedly, there's hardly any output at 40hz, but still...)
The neo 10 also measures identically on both sides. Perfect for a dipole arrangement. I cant imagine why anyone would think that a big magnet attached to the back of a midrange driver could be ideal for a dipole speaker.

I've tried them down to 125Hz.  I preferred the sound above 250Hz.  This was with 24dB/oct slopes.

I would say that the rise in distortion around 150Hz, combined with dipole losses needing EQ boost in that same region would raise the distortion enough to merit staying above that point.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=37264

Greg

studiotech

« Reply #41 on: 10 Nov 2011, 04:09 am »

Earling, I am really convinced that you do love your IB 15. I admit that I am a bit reluctant just because of its very low effiviency. But nothing decided yet.

Thanks all. I do apreciate your considerations. What a wonderful hobby.

Regards,
Till

Remember Till, sensitivity of the driver really only counts in the range in which you use it.  Many of these higher sensitivity woofers start to roll of dramatically by 80Hz, so by the time you reach 30-40Hz, you are no better off than with a more hi-fi style driver.  This is where the higher Q Lambdas shine because their sensitivity stays high the whole way down to 20 Hz.

Greg

THWO

« Reply #42 on: 10 Nov 2011, 09:10 am »
Well, that´s a good point, Greg, thanks.

Till

zmyrna

« Reply #43 on: 10 Nov 2011, 07:02 pm »
Going back to the main question ie perfect midrange:
The difficulty is not really finding the right midrange but the LF driver for OB.
The best woofer options seem to be
AE
Supravox
Altec
I do not want to spend $$$ or go active, so I am looking into proaudio or affordable vintage.
I will start a new topic for this.