BDP-1 and NAS connectivity

Marius

Re: BDP-1 and NAS connectivity
« Reply #180 on: 17 Oct 2012, 08:33 am »
a reminder, since you asked for it.

related to the NAS setup: how about the path-selection option? Still not possible in the latest beta?

Marius

Excellent point, ifs not updated by the end of the week send me a reminder.

I'm hip deep in rebuilding the software that runs the LCD and buttons on the front of the bdp.

Cheers
Chris

Wim J

« Reply #181 on: 17 Oct 2012, 10:01 pm »
OK, Chris
Thank you for your support. Maybe I'll just wait for the next software-release. It might solve the problem. As far as I can figure out my Synology doesn't get an 'access'-request. When I have a look in it's logs I can see all succesfull and failed logins. But bdp1 doesn't  even seem to try to get access. It's simply not in the list,...

:D :D :D SOLVED my issue with both Synology Diskstations DS508 and DS712+. My BDP1 can now connect to the shared drives on both NAS drives. I was finally able to locate what was causing this problem. The LDAP Directory service was enabled on the NAS. The moment I switched 'enable LDAP client' off, I got the connection operational between the BDP1 and the Synology.
So I'm very happy everything is operational as it should be !   :D :D :D

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #182 on: 18 Oct 2012, 03:18 am »
Hi Wim,

Glad to hear things have worked out.

Chris

tomsenko

« Reply #183 on: 23 Oct 2012, 08:09 am »
Hello,

Has anyone had issues with skipping tracks when playing from NAS? I am using 3TB Seagate network drive with the music library of ~1.5TB. Even when updating has finished, I have problems playing some large 192/24 files of ~450MB. Smaller 96/24 files are sometimes skipping when updating is in progress.

Toms

Wim J

« Reply #184 on: 23 Oct 2012, 03:31 pm »
Hello,

Has anyone had issues with skipping tracks when playing from NAS? I am using 3TB Seagate network drive with the music library of ~1.5TB. Even when updating has finished, I have problems playing some large 192/24 files of ~450MB. Smaller 96/24 files are sometimes skipping when updating is in progress.

Toms

I, now, also play from NAS but did not experience any problems during playback. My NAS has two network ports and the Bryston accesses the NAS on a 'dedicated' IP adress. All other music clients use the other available adress, so does the sat receiver when recording/playing. Even when playing a HD program and listening to other music trough other clients I had no problem with the BDP1. Once connected the BDP1 and NAS have been working together without a glitch. My library is about 2TB.
My home has network-cabling everywhere and I only use wireless for portable devices (obviously) All ethernetcable is at least CAT 5E, all switches are Netgear and the router is a Cisco. I'll try if I can reproduce the problem while updating,...

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #185 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:24 am »
Hello,

Toms

Hi Tom,

A couple of questions, do you have any drives attached to the bDP via USB?
Is your music library an excess of 100,000 songs?
Finally what audio format is a majority of your library (ie flac, wav, mp4)?

Cheers,
Chris

tomsenko

« Reply #186 on: 24 Oct 2012, 05:21 am »
Hi Tom,

A couple of questions, do you have any drives attached to the bDP via USB?
Is your music library an excess of 100,000 songs?
Finally what audio format is a majority of your library (ie flac, wav, mp4)?

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I have a 32GB flash drive and sometimes also Bryston flash drive attached.
Last time I checked, my music library was ~70,000 songs.
Vast majority of the files are flac. Some 5% are ape, which I still have not converted but BDP-1 seems to play them well.  wav and mp4 files are maybe 1%.

Previously I had some serious problems when I had movies on the same NAS drive. Since it is not possible to specify the path for music, BDP was apparently trying to read the movies as well. At some point BDP just choked and failed to operate even after a restart. When I moved the movies to another location, the problem was gone.

Toms

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #187 on: 25 Oct 2012, 03:12 am »
Hi Tom,

Your thumb drive is formatted as NTFS or fat?  If your not sure this information is listed under dive information in the bdp's settings page.

Chris

onthefly

« Reply #188 on: 25 Oct 2012, 02:54 pm »
Using NAS with a BDP, can you still scroll through your music library via the display window like with USB?

tomsenko

« Reply #189 on: 25 Oct 2012, 06:01 pm »
Hi Tom,

Your thumb drive is formatted as NTFS or fat?  If your not sure this information is listed under dive information in the bdp's settings page.

Chris

Chris,

Files system for both USB sticks is FAT.

Toms

tomsenko

« Reply #190 on: 25 Oct 2012, 06:01 pm »
Using NAS with a BDP, can you still scroll through your music library via the display window like with USB?

Yes

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #191 on: 25 Oct 2012, 06:17 pm »
Hi Tom,

our next software release due in a couple of weeks will include a feature to test transfer rates between storage devices and may give us a bit of an insight as to what is wrong.  If you'd like the test feature has existed in the beta's  for some time now and if you would like i'd be more then happy to email you a link to the BETA firmware site; just email me at crice@bryston.com

Cheers,
Chris

Blueshirt1

« Reply #192 on: 3 Nov 2012, 12:01 pm »
Has anyone tested the WD MyLive NAS unit with the BDP1. The original post says it has but when I asked the direct question, Bryston said it wasn't. So I am a bit confused.

I went out and bought the 3tb MyLive NAS based off this thread to hook up to my eventual BDP1. It hasn't been ordered yet, still waiting for dealer to get in a demo. I would like to know if I need the BDP2 to make this work before I order the BDP1.

Thanks

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #193 on: 5 Nov 2012, 03:59 pm »
Has anyone tested the WD MyLive NAS unit with the BDP1. The original post says it has but when I asked the direct question, Bryston said it wasn't. So I am a bit confused.

I went out and bought the 3tb MyLive NAS based off this thread to hook up to my eventual BDP1. It hasn't been ordered yet, still waiting for dealer to get in a demo. I would like to know if I need the BDP2 to make this work before I order the BDP1.

Thanks

Hi Blueshirt1,

Sorry about any confusion we may have created, but yes I (the software developer of the BDP's) have personally tested a WD My Book Live and currently use one for testing playback with.  The WD is perfectly fine for playback, but just a heads up it is a little slow and and transfer rates max out at about 30MB/s.  Compared to a intel atom machine running stripped down debian wheezy which manages upwards of 80MB/s.  The difference between spending a couple hundred bucks vs spending over five hundred dollars on your NAS.

Cheers,
Chris

Blueshirt1

« Reply #194 on: 5 Nov 2012, 05:34 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up Chris.

Does that mean I might experience skipping while playing or just slow load times? Would the BDP2 v. BDP1 help either of those possible issues?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #195 on: 5 Nov 2012, 08:30 pm »
Hi Blueshirt1,

No, even at 30MB/s, that is still faster then the throughput of a BDP (5-8MB/s).  I only mention it for when you go to load it up with music, playback should be fine.

Cheers,
Chris

tomsenko

« Reply #196 on: 9 Dec 2012, 08:12 pm »
Hi Tom,

our next software release due in a couple of weeks will include a feature to test transfer rates between storage devices and may give us a bit of an insight as to what is wrong.  If you'd like the test feature has existed in the beta's  for some time now and if you would like i'd be more then happy to email you a link to the BETA firmware site; just email me at crice@bryston.com

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Just tested the transfer speed for my NAS. (Seagate goflex home). It is 3.7 mb/s. Update speed and overall  experience has much improved with the new firmware but I am still experiencing dropouts when playing from nas. I even got a small click fromusb stick today (that was a first). Can it be the size of the library that causes the trouble? I have almost 70 000 songs.

Toms

rolfb*123

« Reply #197 on: 24 Jan 2013, 09:26 am »
Hi Cris/Marius and all the rest of yoy :oops:
Yesterday I receved a new compact flash card containin the latest software for my BDP-1 (1.60 12.12.2012).
My BDP is hardwired to my Apple TimeCapsule(latest version 2TB).
Should there be a NAS setup tab in the settings for the BDP-1 ?
I can`t find it!! This beeing stupid question, it will probarly be a stupid answer too...
I hope someone will be bothered to answer :oops:
BTW, all other function seems to work just fine :D

BRG. Rolf

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #198 on: 24 Jan 2013, 03:11 pm »
Hi Cris/Marius and all the rest of yoy :oops:
Yesterday I receved a new compact flash card containin the latest software for my BDP-1 (1.60 12.12.2012).
My BDP is hardwired to my Apple TimeCapsule(latest version 2TB).
Should there be a NAS setup tab in the settings for the BDP-1 ?
I can`t find it!! This beeing stupid question, it will probarly be a stupid answer too...
I hope someone will be bothered to answer :oops:
BTW, all other function seems to work just fine :D

BRG. Rolf

It will be in the Settings  section on the BDP Home Page - make sure you refresh the browser

James

Rolfb123

« Reply #199 on: 24 Jan 2013, 04:04 pm »
It will be in the Settings  section on the BDP Home Page - make sure you refresh the browser

James

I left the BDP on for 12 hours, and then the NAS setting showed up ???
A little strange, but ok, problem solved:-)
Thank you James and best regards from Norway.

Rolf