BUC-1 Questions

Bert583

BUC-1 Questions
« on: 29 Nov 2015, 07:58 pm »
A few questions about the BUC-1.  Sorry, if they are very elementary. 

1.)  Can I hook up a BUC-1 directly to a Krell Home Theatre Standard 5.1?  If so, what inputs do I use and what kind of cable do I use? 

2.) Having done that, can I hook a computer up to the BUC-1 via the USB?  Does the quality of this computer matter as to sound quality?  For example, can I hook up a very old computer that is dedicated for this purpose?  The alternative, of course, is to get a BDP-2, which I may do.  But would this work as a stopgap solution? 

3.) Can the BUC-1 connect to a wireless network?  Therefore I could stream music from the computer wirelessly?  How would this impact sound quality? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BUC-1 Questions
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2015, 08:09 pm »
A few questions about the BUC-1.  Sorry, if they are very elementary. 

1.)  Can I hook up a BUC-1 directly to a Krell Home Theatre Standard 5.1?  If so, what inputs do I use and what kind of cable do I use? 

2.) Having done that, can I hook a computer up to the BUC-1 via the USB?  Does the quality of this computer matter as to sound quality?  For example, can I hook up a very old computer that is dedicated for this purpose?  The alternative, of course, is to get a BDP-2, which I may do.  But would this work as a stopgap solution? 

3.) Can the BUC-1 connect to a wireless network?  Therefore I could stream music from the computer wirelessly?  How would this impact sound quality?

Hi Bert

1. The BUC 1 is Digital OUT so it must be connected to a DAC using a digital cable.

2. Yes you can use an old computer and USB out bypasses the computers sound card and the quality is controlled by the BUC1.

3. No the BUC 1 does not have a wireless connection but your computer can stream that through the BUC 1

james
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2015, 01:11 am by James Tanner »

Bert583

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2015, 10:39 pm »
James,

Thank you.  Some more follow-up questions. 

1.)  Are the digital outs in stereo?  That is, they carry two channels in one cord? 

2.)  Do you recommend using any particular digital out?  (Higher quality, etc.)

Herb

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2015, 10:49 pm »
James,

Thank you.  Some more follow-up questions. 

1.)  Are the digital outs in stereo?  That is, they carry two channels in one cord? 

2.)  Do you recommend using any particular digital out?  (Higher quality, etc.)

Herb

Hi

Yes stereo out - one cable required.

A lot will depend on the DAC you have - recommended is AES first and SPDIF coax second.

james

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2015, 12:26 am »
The Buc-1 is a fine unit.  I forsee hours of audio enjoyment in your future.