Catch of the day?? Catch of a lifetime!

vinyl_lady

Re: Catch of the day?? Catch of a lifetime!
« Reply #20 on: 28 Sep 2015, 10:32 pm »
What would you have done with the Broadway and Movie Soundtracks?

That's a gray area. I don't normally buy those and I think the last one I bought was the first Star Wars soundtrack. I would have picked carefully.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #21 on: 28 Sep 2015, 11:09 pm »
In the spirit of this email thread, I have to mention something that just happened to me, which falls into the it's better to be lucky than good category.  My best friend, also a long time record collector, in fact collecting for longer than I have, has decided to ditch it all, move back to the east coast and live an unencumbered life.  to achieve that, he had to get ride of his record collection, most of which is classical, but a lot of good, early jazz and some rock.  All in all, I came home with about 12 feet of new (to me) vinyl, which adds significantly to my collection.  I am still reeling from my good fortune, for example, I found a mono 1957 The Buddy Holly Story, on Coral, his greatest hits (volume 1), I found a mono Stan Getz/Jobim/Gilberto (first pressing) of the girl from Ipanema as well as the stereo version, I spent much of saturday listening to various brazilian samba music, how nice.  There is a Mono UK pressing of Revolver, an unopened Abbey Road, and untold classical albums.  His classical taste is exquisite and I am looking forward to spending many hours exploring a classical music collection put together by someone who would know which version of which symphony to have.  His Beethoven and Mozart sections are enormous and I now own over 30 full operas--not sure how I am going to handle this bit, as I am still trying to digest opera, but all in all, I feel pretty lucky and I know how S. Clark feels, it is great to have too much music :lol:
Sounds like another great score.  That Brazilian/Samba/Bossa Nova thing is so seductive to listen to.  The whole opera thing is something I'm still trying to develop a taste for.  Much beyond Carmen or the Wagnerian overtures and I tend to doze.  Hopefully you'll find lots of classical RCA shaded dogs, plum Victrolas, London/Deccas, and EMI's.  There are some truly great classical recordings out there.
Now it's time to look at mono cartridges to let those pre stereo lp's really sing.  Lots of listening to do for both of us. :thumb:

pconley2

« Reply #22 on: 29 Sep 2015, 12:43 am »
Sounds like another great score.  That Brazilian/Samba/Bossa Nova thing is so seductive to listen to.  The whole opera thing is something I'm still trying to develop a taste for.  Much beyond Carmen or the Wagnerian overtures and I tend to doze.  Hopefully you'll find lots of classical RCA shaded dogs, plum Victrolas, London/Deccas, and EMI's.  There are some truly great classical recordings out there.
Now it's time to look at mono cartridges to let those pre stereo lp's really sing.  Lots of listening to do for both of us. :thumb:
Thanks so much for the kind words, I didn't want to horn in on your great topic, since it seems you really got a great haul, but I had to tell someone about what I have "Inherited". I have to look at the jazz section of my new collection and see if we have any overlap, I will keep you posted, and again, congratulations on your purchase.

Phil

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #23 on: 7 Oct 2015, 10:58 am »
Awesome find!!  A few years back I found a minty original Riverside mono pressing of Waltz for Debby.  Now, I paid $400 for it so some might not see that as a find of a lifetime.  But to me it was a huge deal.  The album is one of my favorite jazz records.  The condition was immaculate.  The LP had a glossy sheen and the jacket was in great shape.  I have seen totally beat to crap copies of this record selling for what I paid for this minty example.

--Jerome

jazzcourier

« Reply #24 on: 7 Oct 2015, 02:11 pm »
Riverside 399 White label promo Record listed as VG++ cover with some writing VG+  very recently sold for 2,248.00 on Ebay.This was a new record high for sales of for  "Waltz" lp.So, 400.00  as an investment is a deal most people would make.Just make sure the people around you know the value of your records.Just in case you don't see that bus when you step off the curb.............
   Great record,it should be in every collection,in whatever format.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #25 on: 7 Oct 2015, 02:52 pm »
Awesome find!!  A few years back I found a minty original Riverside mono pressing of Waltz for Debby.  Now, I paid $400 for it so some might not see that as a find of a lifetime.  But to me it was a huge deal.  The album is one of my favorite jazz records.  The condition was immaculate.  The LP had a glossy sheen and the jacket was in great shape.  I have seen totally beat to crap copies of this record selling for what I paid for this minty example.

--Jerome
It took me a while to learn this, but if there's something I really want, bite the bullet and buy the best copy you can find.  A mint "Waltz for Debbie"..... wow, there are no words... :bowdown: