Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

stlrman

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #880 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:19 pm »
Martin Sexton , Free show in Pittsburgh at South Park
This is the second time I have seen him. Man he always puts on a fantastic show. :thumb:
I have a double live album of his, I forget the title, but it is one of my best live recordings.

rockadanny

« Reply #881 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:53 am »
Perhaps it is Martin Sexton, "Live Wide Open"? I really like this one. I'd love to see him live some day myself.  :thumb:

decal

« Reply #882 on: 21 Aug 2011, 01:27 am »
Saw Delbert McClinton at the Hard Rock Live in Biloxi,MS last night. Great show, he did most of the new album and tons of older stuff including "Shotgun Rider", a tune I've never heard him do live (I've attended about 20 of his shows). He had his major songwriting partner,Gary Nicholson, on guitar and vocals and a young lady playing some killer sax. Age is finally catching up with his voice though, he just can't hit the higher registers like he used to. He still has the ladies in the palm of his hand, several pairs of panties and bras hit the stage!!!!!!

low.pfile

« Reply #883 on: 23 Aug 2011, 04:30 am »
Two weekends ago I went to Outside Lands in SF. A really fun event, about 25 bands per day across 6 stages. For 3 days. 60,000 people per day. It's a well produced event. Sound was hit or miss, but seeing Beirut, The Shins, Charles Bradley, Little Dragon, Eryka Badu and Arcade Fire were the highlights for me.

(left: Little Dragon, right: Beirut)

Last night...

After learning of Frazey Ford, relatively recently, I found the connection to The Be Good Tanyas, who I only knew by name.  She is another musician who's unique vocal style keeps me listening.

Last night they popped up in San Francisco at The Independent with Sean Hayes opening. They did a couple of songs together as well. Great sound from both and they really have the sound dialed in there. Not needing earplugs for amplified music..that is always the best.

Seeing them live I found out that they are really fun ladies and very talented. The live version surpassed the albums I've been listening to.

(top: Sean Hayes, middle, bottom: The Be Good Tanyas)

decal

« Reply #884 on: 23 Aug 2011, 11:56 am »
Caught Steely Dan Sunday night at the Wharf Amphitheater in Orange Beach,Alabama. These guys always have a great touring band and always seem to get good sound from the venue they play at. It's real noticeable that Fagen's voice is rapidly going south on him.

bside123

« Reply #885 on: 7 Sep 2011, 01:32 pm »
Had the opportunity to see Carlos Santana at the historic Fox Theater in St. Louis last night. Michael Franti and Spearhead opened for him. Great guy, good tunes, great energy and a positive message. But the real deal and the MAIN event was Santana. He was smoking, red hot. He delivered the show with a statesman's, master's presence. He delivered, non-stop, for almost 2 1/2 hours... never dropped the ball, never let down and just about scratched every itch in the house. Rock, Metal, Soul, Reggae, Salsa, Merengue, R&B, etc. Big band... at one point there were 14 people on stage. 5th row tickets made this a real treat!

Michael Franti and Spearhead - This guy must be 6' 5", and he was barefoot.

Carlos takes us on a trip through the cosmos.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #886 on: 22 Sep 2011, 10:55 pm »
Went and saw Wilco with a fellow AC member (Rydenfan) on Tuesday night at the Wang Theater in Boston.  This is an old time theater with a classic visual design and good acoustics.  We had pretty decent floor seats and because we were at the start of the second floor section, there was nobody directly in front of us.

Wilco played a bunch of songs from the new album ("The Whole Love" - releasing on September 27th), a few more from their previous release, "Wilco" and the rest from their older albums.  The songs from the new album were really good and seemed like they took "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and "A Ghost Is Born" to their next level.  If you liked those albums, I can't see how you won't really like "The Whole Love".

They did a great job of jamming and extending the songs and it was the most I have seen Jeff Tweedy play the guitar (both electric and acoustic) in the dozen or so shows I have seen Wilco.  The main guitar player for Wilco, Nels Cline, was the master of distortion and improve - he is definitely a great performer live!

Overall I thought it was a really good show, but fell a little short of their best for a few reasons.  First off, they "only" played for a little under 2 hours (which went by amazingly fast).  During the show Jeff talked about how the last time they played Boston they played 39 songs, but that it wouldn't reach that amount this time.  Secondly, I would have preferred a little different song selection.  While I really did enjoy the new material, I didn't get to hear some of my favorite Wilco songs (such as California Stars, Spiders, Sunken Treasure, Jesus, Radio Cure, Company In My Back, and Misunderstood to name a few).

Here is the set list from the show:

http://wilcoworld.net/#!/tour_date_type/20-sept-2011-boston-ma/

If you want to hear the new album before it comes out, NPR is streaming it in low rez:

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/19/140476897/first-listen-wilco-the-whole-love?ps=mh_frhdl4

If you want to hear Wilco play live, you can hear 60 mins of them from the David Letterman show that they performed on Wednesday night:

http://www.cbs.com/late_night/liveonletterman/wilco/video/

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #887 on: 22 Sep 2011, 11:46 pm »
Watching now...Handshake Drugs was out of control good.  Nels is such a show off!  :)  I love the new album(and not a big fan of last 2, although Sky Blue Sky was great live when I saw them)).

sts9fan

« Reply #888 on: 23 Sep 2011, 02:00 am »
I was also at that Wilco show. I thought it was well played as usual. I never expect anything else from that crew. My main criticism was the flow of the show. I hate the fast song, slow song, fast song, slow song over and over.  This was probabily my 9th or 10th time seeing them. It was not the best and not the worst.  That last Boston show at The Orpheum was a friggin marathon with some crazy moments. Wilco is a no brainer to go see when they come around. 

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #889 on: 23 Sep 2011, 02:51 am »

Pearl Jam with Mudhoney in support on Saturday night. The last time I saw Pearl Jam, they opened with Eddy walking out on stage alone playing Better Man. This time they came out hitting hard - opening with Why Go and Animal kicking the energy level into overdrive right from the get-go and continued to stoke the sold-out house for two and a half hours of raucous rockin'. No Jeremy, no Black, no Yellow Ledbetter but covers of Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros' Arms Aloft , Neil Young's Rockin' In The Free World and Iggy And The Stooges' Search And Destroy as well as maybe the best version of Crazy Mary I've ever heard them do. The crowd was rowdy and the band was clearly having the time of their lives. Among the most enjoyable concert experiences I've had.

Here's to PJ 30!

D.D.   

WGH

« Reply #890 on: 24 Sep 2011, 04:18 pm »
Emmylou Harris at the intimate Fox Theater in Tucson, 9-23-11

If I could only use one word to describe Emmylou's performance last night it would be flawless. Backed by an excellent 5 piece band Ms Harris sang for a solid 2 hours without a break with songs ranging from her earliest recordings to her latest album with some high lonesome early '40s country western and traditional gospel music included throughout her long set.

Emmylou likes Tucson and it showed in her performance. Previously she spend a month here with Linda Ronstadt writing songs for her 1999 album Western Wall: The Tucson Sessions.  She was very comfortable on stage, told stories about the songs she wrote and genuinely had a good time.

Emmylou's voice is still strong and clear and after 2 hours it sounded like she was just getting warmed up and could go for another 2. Her band is excellent, their singing, playing and timing are impeccable, they are the perfect accompaniment to Emmylou's voice.

See her if you can, Emmylou is still one of the best singer/songwriters performing these days.

Wayne

mort

« Reply #891 on: 28 Sep 2011, 02:58 pm »
Pearl Jam  and Mudhoney Pacific Coloseum Vancouver B.C. At 20 years old there still the best live rock act around, hands down.

stlrman

« Reply #892 on: 7 Oct 2011, 04:51 pm »
The Wood Brothers at The Rex Theater Pittsburgh.
Great show!! Awesome sound and light show.
If you have not listened to them check them out on YouTube or their website.
One of the Best Alt. Country acts I have ever heard.(live, and studio albums) I highly recommend all of their albums. They are all fantastic!
Chris Wood is from Medeski ,Martin ,and Wood. He plays a kick ass upright bass!!!!!!!!

santacore

« Reply #893 on: 7 Oct 2011, 07:10 pm »
I saw Ben Harper at a intimate(tiny club) benefit show a few weeks ago. Great show with a short, but tasty, acoustic set by Jackson Browne. Then later Jackson, along Joan Osbourne, and Tom Morello took turns playing with Ben during his set. Fun night!!!!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #894 on: 7 Oct 2011, 07:47 pm »
For you Houston area heads, this Friday night at Dosey Doe's in The Woodlands, Tommy Emmanual is back.  Tomorrow nite, Saturday, The Robert Cray Band.   Par-dee!  Par-dee!

lofreek

« Reply #895 on: 7 Oct 2011, 08:05 pm »
Saw Zappa Plays Zappa and Return To Forever IV at the Fox Theater in St. Louis. A dream bill if there ever was one!

funkymas

• In The Beginning...There Was Funk!
    • Audiophile Bass
« Reply #896 on: 20 Oct 2011, 01:14 pm »

This is one of the most recent better shows i have attended. Johnny Winter at The Oriental Theater, DENVER, CO.

For his age (67...Life of a musician) he can hardly walk out on stage. Let alone pick up his guitar. Winter needs his tech to hand him his guitar once he has sat down and settled in.

But once the music get going, he just blows  your mind away. He's all dressed up in all black, with his black cowboy hat looks like he himself is the Crypt Keeper. LOL. Well anyways, he had to sell his soul to still play the way he does. His fingers looks like they hurt.

The best was when he played Highway 61 Revisited!!!

funkymas

• In The Beginning...There Was Funk!
    • Audiophile Bass
« Reply #897 on: 20 Oct 2011, 01:17 pm »
Saw Zappa Plays Zappa and Return To Forever IV at the Fox Theater in St. Louis. A dream bill if there ever was one!

I caught this same line-up at the Paramount. DENVER, CO. Except that i was late for Zappa Plays Zappa and only caught the last 10 minutes of their set. But Return to Forever IV was just  amazing. Glad to see Stanley finally. Huge fan of his solo stuff. :D

Chinaski

« Reply #898 on: 20 Oct 2011, 07:13 pm »
Saw Matisyahu a few weeks back at my fave venue, The Norva in Norfolk, VA.  And will see The Flaming Lips, also at The Norva, next week.  happyhappyjoyjoy.

sts9fan

« Reply #899 on: 23 Oct 2011, 04:04 pm »
Caught two great shows last week with a AC'er. Tuesday was The Jayhawks which was really great. I do not know their stuff but it was fun. Last night was Portugal the Man which I thought was SUPER good. They are a really fun band that aye really well live. Both shows were at The Paradise in Boston which has gone from one of my favorite venues to one of my least.  I have seen ~100 shows there and after the remodel it's just not the same. It fits more people but less well and that's saying a lot if you had been to the old 'dise.