Musical Fidelity X-Pre V3 to Bryston BP25 - is this an upgrade?

EvanMcC

• Bryston, Dynaudio & Torus
I have a Musical Fidelity X-Pre V3 preamp with the X10 V3 tube buffer and I am thinking about upgrading to a used Bryston BP25 with remote (but no phono or DAC). The Bryston has the BP-PSR power supply, not the MPS. I won't miss having phono - I have an outboard phono pre that will be fine for my needs.

I'm wondering if this change will be an upgrade or more of a lateral move? I realize I'm asking a bunch of Bryston lovers! I am running a 4B SST myself. The MuFi is newer, but I am thinking the Bryston will be better...

Help!

gdayton

• Industry Participant
Hi Evan, I haven't heard those particular musical fidelity pieces in years, but consider that the X series was a "budget" line for them though they were well regarded. The BP25 was the flagship pre from Bryston when it was released. I'm guessing it's going to be quite an upgrade.

EvanMcC

• Bryston, Dynaudio & Torus
Thanks for the input - that's a very good point. I'd posted this question before I was able to find specs for the MuFi and once I checked them against the BP25 it was clear this was going to be a nice upgrade. I was happy with the MuFi so I wasn't sure how much difference there'd be, but i'm anxious to find out now! I have purchased the BP25 and it arrives tomorrow.

Thanks again!

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
  Congrats. I think you made a good choice.. I love my 25 :thumb: