USB input in Dac 10 - better than optical?

audioguy213

USB input in Dac 10 - better than optical?
« on: 28 Aug 2016, 01:57 am »
What input do you guys recommend for digital audio out of a computer,
optical or USB into the Nuprime gear?

Any special USB cables required?

chrisc

• Listen to the great composers
Re: USB input in Dac 10 - better than optical?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2016, 07:19 am »
There seems to be very little in it.  Only because the USB cable I am using is the correct length, that is what I use.  Some will say the USB is better

At least with an optical cable there is no electrical connection

I was reading of a device that removes any electrical connection (shared earth, etc) on a USB connection between a computer and an amplifier.  Of course the person writing the article sang its praises, but his scientific argument was sound.  Its akin to converting the USB to a LAN cable and back to USB the other end.  You can already get such devices, but audio fidelity was not included in the design criteria

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2016, 03:12 pm »
I've not tried the usb yet, but I've recently found the Lifatec optical cables compare very well to very good coaxes out of my Oppo BDP-93. Very reasonably priced way to experiment, too. Many others like the Lifatec too.

audioguy213

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2016, 07:18 pm »
I use Lifatec for optical out, yes, from macbook into Dac10

other people said something about limited bandwidth with optical cable format, in another thread, positing that USB is a superior connection,

I started this thread because Nuprime indicated something about their USB nor needing dejitterer's -
and I Was just wondering if they had an in-house opinion on best connection from a mac or PC when using their gear.
Maybe they have USB tweaked to the point that they think it is superior to optical digital, I dunno - rustydog said to start a new thread on that topic.

I have never tried USB out, I always considered it sub optimal in my head, with the power on the line, etc. but I would try it if Nuprime said it was superior.

Randy Myers

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2016, 04:00 am »
A real simple answer.  USB.... optical goes through conversion on both ends.  Therefore for Redbook output on my spinner I use Coax.  I have had a few audio engineers tell me straight out, avoid optical if at all possible.  But most important reason to use USB versus optical or coax from computer is because DSD.  You can't send DSD through optical or coax.  DSD is vastly better with the ESS chips.  I even up convert all of my flac downloads to DSD.  It just plays back better.

The re-clockers do indeed work.  I challenge you to put  Wyred 4 Sound Recovery unit inline on your USB connection.  A vast majority that have are surprised at the improvements.

On the coax connection I use a Wyred 4 Sound Remedy.  In a conversation with Jason he had me try playing some Redbooks with and without the Remedy going into a DAC-10H.  He thought there would be little if any difference.  He was surprised when I reported back that the DAC-10H did a fine job on it's own, but, the Remedy moved it into an entire new world... pretty much... WOW... what an improvement!   More dynamic range with much better impact.  More open, air between the instruments.  Much better separation of individual instruments... instruments are more defined on Redbook CDs.... Recovery does similar things for the USB chain... both add the Femto clock....

chrisc

• Listen to the great composers
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2016, 11:04 am »
I don't suppose there is any way to upscale FLAC files to DSD using JRiver (ver 21 on a Mac)?  I have tinkered about with the Playback settings, specifically Output Encoding, switching on and off DSD in DOP or 2 DSD in DOP and unless it is set to "None" there is no sound

Using a KORG DS100 DAC, you can, if you set the Output Encoding to 2xDSD, make the DAC play everything in DSD mode, but I could not detect any audible difference.  On the KORG, a light appears on the front panel when it is paying DSD files.  Some people frown on this DAC since it uses some processing in the computer to achieve this

Randy Myers

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2016, 12:40 pm »
I up-convert all my flac files to DSD using JRiver 21.  I do not convert on the fly, but instead convert the files and store them on my music server PC as DSD files.

I keep a separate folder for DSD downloads and flac downloads.  I also keep the up-converted files in their own folder.  Therefore in Roon I can enable and disable the folders that I want.  This makes it easy to compare the original PCM download versus the DSD converted.  The DSD sound better to me.

audioguy213

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2016, 05:13 pm »
"I challenge you to put  Wyred 4 Sound Recovery unit inline on your USB connection. "

Challenge accepted, I have ordered one to try.
I will try to feed USB to Recovery Unit to DAC-10 and see how it goes.

Randy Myers

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2016, 11:49 pm »
Cool!  I think you will like it.  I can direct you to several reviews stating how good it is including a member of another forum who took the challenge and was so amazed that he added two for for each of his systems.  Two of which have Esoteric DAC/Spinners (yes those are over $10k each and he was amazed at the difference).

audioguy213

« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2016, 12:25 am »
reviewers are idiots and schills,

I trust you Randy, I will send it to you if I dont like it.
does it matter what USB cable you use from laptop to Recovery?
Say no so I can save $300.

Randy Myers

« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2016, 02:55 am »
Well the review I was talking about is not a reviewer but one of us :)....  The standard USB cables are not bad, and I am sure will work fine.  I know they include a basic short USB to go from the Recovery to the DAC (NuPrime).  I did upgrade mine to decent (not real expensive) Wireworld cables.  The purple ones, whichever that is...  I did after having it a while add an iFi iPower.  Again subtle but very slight noticeably improvements.  Nothing in the order of how much the Recovery improved the music.  How I originally described it was that that it made my digital music files sound more like vinyl, without the hassles and pops and clicks....
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2016, 02:40 pm by Randy Myers »

audioguy213

« Reply #11 on: 30 Aug 2016, 04:33 am »
seems like curious cables and a linear PS are recommended for RUR, I will give those a shot too.

Randy Myers

« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2016, 01:14 pm »
I thought it was worth it.  I added a similar level Wireworld Coax cable for both the input and output of the Remedy.  I decided that the power supply with the Remedy was fine, similar to the ifi iPower that I added for the Recovery.

I am a believer in a better level of cabling.  Not the crazy level stuff mind you, but a better level.  Even if it is not night and day I believe it just makes sense that a better power cable or inter-connects are worth it.  A step up, but I do not feel my equipment is of a level to add the crazy level cabling...

I use Wireworld USB cables x2 to come from my Music Server (Highly modified PC) to the Recovery on to the DAC-10H
x2 Wireworld Coax cable coming from the Marantz SA8005 spinner to the Remedy on to the DAC-10H
Tributary RCA cables going from the Marantz to the DAC-10H for SA-CD disks
Wyred 4 Sound XLR cables going out of the DAC-10H to the SST Son of Ampzilla II amplifier
Monster Cable Y connector out of the DAC-10H to an Audio Technica RCA cable to go to the REL subwoofer
Kimber Kable speaker wires going to the MC speakers
Wireworld power cables for both the DAC-10H and the Marantz
Audioquest power cable for the computer
Richard Gray High Tension power cable on the amplifier (only because a friend with a MBL system was up grading so he pretty much let me have this extreme high level power cable :) )

rustydoglim

« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2016, 03:52 pm »
USB, coaxial and optical in that order from best to worst.  As someone already pointed out, optical goes through conversions on both ends and has less bandwidth than USB or coaxial.
A decent shielded USB cable is sufficient.

As for device such as "Wyred 4 Sound Recovery", it might sounded different when you hear it for the first time, but we can't determine if it is going to make any difference engineering wise. This issue came up several months ago during R&D. You see, our factory actually did design and build a high-end device for such purpose (isolating USB noise), and it is battery powered, for a client. The end result, even with battery powered device, is debatable.  So we decided not to offer such a product under NuPrime.

Regardless, I am keeping an open mind.

Randy Myers

« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2016, 04:24 pm »
As with everything it is definitely to each his own.  I very much appreciate the Recovery and Remedy.  In discussions with Jason about an issue going through Remedy he asked me to try it with and without.  His thoughts were that it would not help and might actually hurt the sound from the DAC-10H.  I did give it a fair back and forth on several CDs and came away saying it was a fairly huge improvement to the sound quality.  As an added benefit it takes the 44.1 kHz signal from the Redbook CD and up samples it to 96 kHz.

My questions to Jason was why was the DAC-10H displaying 44.1 when I know that the signal is actually 96 (and previous DACs displayed it as 96).  He felt my assumption that it was actually playing at 96 but displaying at the original 44.1 was correct but he went back to his engineers to confirm this.  I very much appreciated the follow up.  Shows care for customers and a real sense of pride in his company!!!

Anyway, here is his final follow up e-mail (I was impressed with his doing as he said he would and going to his engineers!).
"Hi Randy,

There are two ways to display the sampling rate of the input music:
1) Channel status embedded in the data or
2) detecting the sampling rate from the data. 

DAC-10H only use the extra channel status data to display the rate, so we suspect that Remedy device did not update the sampling rate channel status info after the conversion.

I was incorrect to state that DAC-10H does internal sampling conversation.  It does not do that (neither up or down) and simply does the decoding. Therefore it has to decode the higher sampling rate from Remedy otherwise you won’t hear any sound, even though it displays the original sampling rate.

Thanks
Jason"

audioguy213

« Reply #15 on: 30 Aug 2016, 08:32 pm »
USB, coaxial and optical in that order from best to worst.  As someone already pointed out, optical goes through conversions on both ends and has less bandwidth than USB or coaxial.
A decent shielded USB cable is sufficient.

As for device such as "Wyred 4 Sound Recovery", it might sounded different when you hear it for the first time, but we can't determine if it is going to make any difference engineering wise. This issue came up several months ago during R&D. You see, our factory actually did design and build a high-end device for such purpose (isolating USB noise), and it is battery powered, for a client. The end result, even with battery powered device, is debatable.  So we decided not to offer such a product under NuPrime.

Regardless, I am keeping an open mind.

Thank you VERY much for your comments,
I look forward to trying out USB with my Nuprime gear,

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #16 on: 1 Sep 2016, 05:36 am »
Check this out... Could be a real winner according to this review. In a big fan if iFi products and the higher end AMR line they trickle down from. Those dudes definitely know what they are doing. I'm currently still trying to decide if my IDA-8 is actually an upgrade from my iFi Micro iDSD / Parasound ZAmp combo. I'm not totally sold yet, but I almost prefer the sound of the optical out from my Mac into the NuPrime... But reading about the short comings of optical have me second guessing. This little baby could be an answer...

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/09/ifi-spdif-ipurifier-entry-level-pricing-next-level-results/

- Woody

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #17 on: 1 Sep 2016, 05:59 am »
Wow, I'd rather spend the money on a proper spdif output device rather than a "fixit"...

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 1 Sep 2016, 06:33 am »
What input do you guys recommend for digital audio out of a computer,
optical or USB into the Nuprime gear?

Any special USB cables required?

toslink supports the highest sample rates than spdif or usb

srb

« Reply #19 on: 1 Sep 2016, 08:35 am »
toslink supports the highest sample rates than spdif or usb

For consumer digital audio, Optical uses fiber optic cable terminated with TOSLINK connectors and Coaxial uses 75 ohm coaxial cable terminated with BNC or RCA connectors, but both are S/PDIF format.

The majority of TOSLINK S/PDIF interfaces are limited to 96kHz while some can achieve 192kHz sample rates, Coaxial S/PDIF is most always rated to 192kHz and USB Class 2 Audio is rated to 384kHz.