FEDEX Claim Help

bjski

Re: FEDEX Claim Help
« Reply #20 on: 29 Aug 2016, 10:01 pm »
Both UPS and FedEx suck. In terms of damages I have had better luck with UPS. However when it comes to paying both shippers don't want to give up their money or should I say your money. You need to be persistent. If not you'll be forgotten. Very similar to medical claims now days.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #21 on: 29 Aug 2016, 10:50 pm »
As I'd posted elsewhere previously, most people thought they had no recourses once their claim was denied.

In reality, you can always take them to small claim...Yes, I know, most people are too busy to even think about going to court...and you can always add the time you spent on your claim to the total damage.  I know since we had always did that and, knock on wood, our success rate is 100% so far.

The key thing to convince the judge is to document, pictures include, pre and post shipped to prove that the damage was caused by the carrier, be it UPS or FedEx or any others.

Good Luck.

Philistine

« Reply #22 on: 1 Sep 2016, 09:50 pm »
I finally submitted my claim today, I'd lost the original invoice so had to wait for the seller to dig it out.  I'll update the thread on the progress and outcome as many of us ship gear and exchanging best practices can help.

I've got copies of the original invoices, original order form (with correct delivery address), tracking reports and proof of delivery (with incorrect delivery address) - documentation wise I think I'm in good shape but don't think it's a slam dunk until the checks in my hands.  I was realistic with the current value of the gear and not being unreasonable, at the same time they've encouraged me to make the claim and admitted they screwed up.  Never the less it's close to a $4K claim so I'm not going to accept rejection, consequently I'm very comfortable about going through the legal system if I have to - if this happens I'll maximize the value of the claim.

Updates to follow.....

Bemopti123

« Reply #23 on: 1 Sep 2016, 11:55 pm »
These FEDEX people are something else.  They were supposed to deliver a pair of Canadian made pieces to me, they are not heavy, just 25 lbs a piece and were worth some $ but when I was waiting for the delivery, I noticed that they have left it in the back yard....because it did not require signature.  It was somewhat drizzling outside and the bottom of the boxes got somewhat wet.  I doubt there was major damage but will need to check.  I am quite angry at their callousness.  These people why are they paid for?  To make matters worse, my wife was at home!  Not that she would have liked these boxes coming in!   :duh:

Guy 13

« Reply #24 on: 2 Sep 2016, 01:49 am »
For me it's a case of laziness...
How can it be otherwise ???
And it doesn't only applies to UPS
it's everywhere...

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #25 on: 2 Sep 2016, 06:33 am »
I finally submitted my claim today, I'd lost the original invoice so had to wait for the seller to dig it out.  I'll update the thread on the progress and outcome as many of us ship gear and exchanging best practices can help.

I've got copies of the original invoices, original order form (with correct delivery address), tracking reports and proof of delivery (with incorrect delivery address) - documentation wise I think I'm in good shape but don't think it's a slam dunk until the checks in my hands.  I was realistic with the current value of the gear and not being unreasonable, at the same time they've encouraged me to make the claim and admitted they screwed up.  Never the less it's close to a $4K claim so I'm not going to accept rejection, consequently I'm very comfortable about going through the legal system if I have to - if this happens I'll maximize the value of the claim.

Updates to follow.....

If you do take them to court, make sure you ask for court cost's and lawyers fee's if it does not go through small claims court.  I imagine if it did go to small claims that they would loose or settle before it does because they will have to pay a lawyer to attend.

Bemopti123

« Reply #26 on: 2 Sep 2016, 03:23 pm »
Fedex, was able to damage at least one speaker the way I see it.  I went to the garage this morning and checked the ripped packaging and lo and behold.  The bottom of one of the boxes was somewhat torn.  So, when I peeked inside of it, one of the corners of the cabinet was dented.  It seems as if they had dropped the box in the corner, denting it.  I cannot  believe this at all.  I contacted the manufacturer and shipper to see what they will do for it.  Now, the entire listening issue has been delayed due to this incident.   :duh:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 2 Sep 2016, 03:56 pm »
I use exclusively USPS,
UPS & FEDEX are more expensive and impossible
to refund, wherefore important pay with paypal.

orientalexpress

« Reply #28 on: 2 Sep 2016, 04:02 pm »
I use exclusively USPS,
UPS & FEDEX are more expensive and impossible
to refund, wherefore important pay with paypal.
USPS price went up alot for electronic item or heavy item.I only use USPS for media mail.everything else almost double the price of fedx or ups since January of this year.

OzarkTom

« Reply #29 on: 6 Sep 2016, 12:41 am »
Thanks to Amazon, all shippers has gone up in price. I now use Fedex, UPS broke way too much. But this is funny, not for the owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR_firhtoPM

Guy 13

« Reply #30 on: 6 Sep 2016, 02:01 am »
Why large corporations like FeDex, UPS... Care ?
They know you have to use them,
after all they are the biggest...
And they all stick together.

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

Philistine

« Reply #31 on: 8 Sep 2016, 02:47 pm »
Received confirmation that the claim was being reviewed - not sure how they'll try and wriggle out of the fact that they made delivery to the wrong address (which they admitted, along with the admission that they were unable to recover it) but I'm sure they'll try to find a get out.  If they go down this path I'm ready to offer them the opportunity to meet with the local judge, and will carry this through if they don't compensate me.

I've been shipping with my local FEDEX for years, and had great service with no issues, FEDEX/USPS/UPS handle millions of parcels and errors happen - it's how they deal with these errors that has many of us frustrated and out of pocket.  In addition many of these damage related claims must be created by customers poor packing, and are the easier claims to reject for this reason, I can see their point as some of the packaging I've seen for delicate items has been shocking.  When this happens I would assume most customers give-up, and this is what the carriers predict will happen - if you take good photos before shipment (that gives evidence of robust packing) it must make it easier to fight a claim rejection?  I always arrive with the boxes open and ask them to verify the description and value of the goods, along with the suitability of the packaging - I also take a few pics of the boxes in the store with my phone and make a note of the employees name.  Not sure if this would help with a direct claim, but could be useful for any court proceedings.   

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 8 Sep 2016, 03:34 pm »
Received confirmation that the claim was being reviewed - not sure how they'll try and wriggle out of the fact that they made delivery to the wrong address (which they admitted, along with the admission that they were unable to recover it) but I'm sure they'll try to find a get out.  If they go down this path I'm ready to offer them the opportunity to meet with the local judge, and will carry this through if they don't compensate me.

I've been shipping with my local FEDEX for years, and had great service with no issues, FEDEX/USPS/UPS handle millions of parcels and errors happen - it's how they deal with these errors that has many of us frustrated and out of pocket.  In addition many of these damage related claims must be created by customers poor packing, and are the easier claims to reject for this reason, I can see their point as some of the packaging I've seen for delicate items has been shocking.  When this happens I would assume most customers give-up, and this is what the carriers predict will happen - if you take good photos before shipment (that gives evidence of robust packing) it must make it easier to fight a claim rejection?  I always arrive with the boxes open and ask them to verify the description and value of the goods, along with the suitability of the packaging - I also take a few pics of the boxes in the store with my phone and make a note of the employees name.  Not sure if this would help with a direct claim, but could be useful for any court proceedings.   

Provided they don't have something in the fine print stating you wave your right to sue and agree that disputes will be handled by binding arbitration by an arbiter of their choosing (and paid by them).

It used to be that you could not irrevocably sign away a right but the big companies have been increasingly going this route and the courts have upheld this strategy which is blatantly in the companies favor and against the individual.

If you lose going the direct route you could always take your case to your local news consumer advocacy / social media route.  A lot of times bad PR will get results that the legal route will not.

Good luck

Philistine

« Reply #33 on: 6 Oct 2016, 08:15 pm »
A month has elapsed since submitting my claim and I requested an update.  They fired back a standard letter declining the claim on the basis I had no contractual relationship with them.  I've just put them on notice, with a deadline, that I'll pursue channels if they don't compensate me for the loss they created.  I was happy to accept the Audiogon current valuation for the amp, I thought this was reasonable and fair, as they want to play hard ball I'll go after the full purchase price if I have to use the local magistrate.  Let's see how they respond...

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 6 Oct 2016, 10:04 pm »
What do they mean "No contractural relationship"?  They took your money to deliver the speaks s to a specified place and failed to fulfill their part of the agreement.

Sounds like a contract to me.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #35 on: 6 Oct 2016, 10:44 pm »
I would send them a final letter demanding them to pay the claim and would officially inform them that you will file a claim with small claim court if they refused.

If you indeed have to go to court then I'd account for all of the times you have spent on this.
I am sure they will have their in-house attorney to call and try to settle with you once they received the court papers.

Good luck.

In our case, I notified them that they will be charged $500 per hour for every hour we had to spend on the claim.
That would help to convince them to settle real quick.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #36 on: 7 Oct 2016, 03:10 pm »
I suspect the "no contractual relationship" is #2 on the claim denial list, right after "improperly packed".    They always have to deny the 1st claim.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #37 on: 7 Oct 2016, 03:29 pm »
What do they mean "No contractural relationship"?  They took your money to deliver the speaks s to a specified place and failed to fulfill their part of the agreement.

Sounds like a contract to me.

A contract requires an offer (We'll ship your stuff!), acceptance (OK, ship this!) and compensation (you paid them).

They are idiots for saying otherwise.   :roll:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #38 on: 7 Oct 2016, 05:22 pm »
FedEx has no contractual relationship with the intended recipient; you do.

FedEx does not provide "insurance":

A. The declared value of any package represents our maximum liability in connection with a shipment of that package, including, but not limited to, any loss, damage, delay, misdelivery, nondelivery, misinformation, any failure to provide information, or misdelivery of information relating to the shipment. It is the shipper's responsibility to prove actual damages. Exposure to and risk of any loss in excess of the declared value is assumed by the shipper. You may transfer this risk to an insurance carrier of your choice through the purchase of an insurance policy. Contact an insurance agent or broker if you desire insurance coverage. WE DO NOT PROVIDE INSURANCE COVERAGE OF ANY KIND.

FedEx assumes they do not have a contractual relationship with you as it relates to insurance.

nik.d

« Reply #39 on: 8 Oct 2016, 03:15 pm »
Please Jerry, don't mix things.
One thing is trade contract and another one is transport contract.
They have nothing to do with each other.