Melody P2688 World Premier Review

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio

Ern Dog

Re: Melody P2688 World Premier Review
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2014, 05:08 am »
Can anybody tell me how the new p2688 sounds compared to the Melody 101?

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2014, 11:04 am »
I think Phil Ressler made some direct comparisons on Augiohon under the name 213cobra.

The p2688 sounds like a very good piece, as was the PB101.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2014, 02:11 pm »
Phil first got the PB101 from us and then also bought the P2688 later so he would be the only one who can best answer that.
Personally, I compared the P2688 against a well known Pre ($20K) and I prefer the Melody.
Please note that I am Meldoy Distributor so I may be a little biased.
I think Phil Ressler made some direct comparisons on Augiohon under the name 213cobra.

The p2688 sounds like a very good piece, as was the PB101.

Ern Dog

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2014, 05:25 pm »
Thanks for the replys.  I read the awesome review Phil wrote on the pb101 but I couldn't find what he wrote about the p2688.  Can you send me the link?

Thanks a bunch,
Ernie

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2014, 11:45 pm »
Ernie,

Phil has been terribly busy with his work since mid last year so I am not sure he completed the review.
You could however pm him on Audiogon for his opinions.

The fact that he still has both PB101 & P2688, in my humble opinion, validated my own findings since Phil is a very meticulous person when it comes to audio. :)
Thanks for the replys.  I read the awesome review Phil wrote on the pb101 but I couldn't find what he wrote about the p2688.  Can you send me the link?

Thanks a bunch,
Ernie

Ern Dog

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2014, 02:01 am »
Ok, will do.  Thanks Hugh

I do trust Phil's opinion and it's because of him that I got off the Dac merry go round with the MHDT Stockholm that he recommends.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2014, 03:33 am »
You can tell that he does know how to write. :)

I can only wish some professional reviewers learn how to do the same. ;)
Ok, will do.  Thanks Hugh

I do trust Phil's opinion and it's because of him that I got off the Dac merry go round with the MHDT Stockholm that he recommends.

Ern Dog

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2014, 04:36 am »
Hugh, you sell them both, what's your opinion about the differences between these two superb preamps?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2014, 04:24 pm »
Morning Ernie,

Since you asked, I am going to try my best to express my opinions on these 2 units.
Also, please keep in mind that I am nowhere near a wordsmith like Phil. :)

First off, the PB101 will give you a more modern tube sound while the P2688 tends to lean a little over to the vintage arena.
The PB101 will need to be matched with better tubes, with the exception of the 101Ds since they are used solely for voltage regulation, in order to truly show its potential.
Stock tubes is just that, decent but much to be desired.
We have several customers who wanted to roll tubes right away but I asked not to do such until at least they can establish an acoustic baseline then once the better tubes are in...that's when they can realize how good the PB101 truly is.

Concerning the P2688, it is truly a remarkable Preamp and the beauty of it is, IF you prefer, you won't need to roll any tubes BUT the rectifier.
When I was at Phil's place to listen to both of his PB101 & P2688, he rolled a few rectifier tubes in and they only differed slightly until he put in the Shuguang 274B and then...WTH, both of us looked at each other and smiled.  What it means is the 274B is the choice for P2688.

I know this may have left much to be desired as a 'sales' pitch but writing is not my main forte.
All I can add is the P2688 takes all of the PB101's strong SQ to another level effortlessly.

FWIW, I have a PB101 in my bedroom and a P2688 in my reference setup. :)
Hugh, you sell them both, what's your opinion about the differences between these two superb preamps?

Ern Dog

« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2014, 01:06 am »
I appreciate your thoughts about these.  I decided to give the PB101 a try and found a used one on Audiogon.  I like your approach of letting the stock sound settle in for awhile before rolling any tubes.  When I get to that point, which tubes do you recommend?  We can move this conversation to PM's if you like since this thread is about the P2688, and I'm venturing into a whole other topic.

Thanks!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2014, 02:21 am »
Ernie,

If it were me, I'd go with Sylvania 6SN7s and 274B. :)

By the way, you'd need to find out where that particular PB101 came from since we don't service any Melody products purchased outside of The US.

Thanks,

Ern Dog

« Reply #12 on: 30 Sep 2014, 03:19 am »
Thanks for the tip Hugh.

shawbros3

« Reply #13 on: 30 Sep 2014, 06:58 pm »
I appreciate your thoughts about these.  I decided to give the PB101 a try and found a used one on Audiogon.  I like your approach of letting the stock sound settle in for awhile before rolling any tubes.  When I get to that point, which tubes do you recommend?  We can move this conversation to PM's if you like since this thread is about the P2688, and I'm venturing into a whole other topic.

Thanks!

Ern Dog,

I've done some extensive tube rolling in the Melody PB101 at both positions.  I told Hugh about the Sylvania 6SN7GTA's (short chrome domes) a while back and it appears he's been using them ever since at the shows.  If your system needs added presence and detail then the Sylvania's will work great.  That's their bread and butter.  In some systems, the Sylvania's can sound bright and a bit thin.  They are very neutral sounding.  The best part is the price, they can be had for probably less than the stock tubes :thumb:  So I highly recommend you give them a go.  Other 6SN7 tubes that I found worked well with the PB101, are the Tung-Sols, RCA Reds, and Kenrads.

As far as the rectifier, the 274b Shuguang preferred series does work very well.  It gives the music a boost of energy and snap.  It probably holds the title for "best bang for the buck".  If you are willing to spend ($150-250), there are rectifier tubes which sound more natural and refined.

Congrats on your purchase, the PB101 should continue to bring you sheer joy... 

Ern Dog

« Reply #14 on: 1 Oct 2014, 01:54 am »
Thanks, I'm excited about hearing it.  I've never heard any Melody products before.  It will also be fun getting it dialed in with the right tubes.

kiskaprince

« Reply #15 on: 29 Dec 2014, 07:23 pm »
What is Melody AN2688 then older ,newer then P2688??
Thank you