Super tower st3 with raven pointsource tweeter
« on: 3 Jul 2011, 07:10 pm »
They are very soon on their to Norway  :icon_lol:

John Casler

Re: Super tower st3 with raven pointsource tweeter
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2011, 06:05 am »
They are very soon on their to Norway  :icon_lol:

Hi Levinson,

I must have missed this post.  It makes me wonder how many VMPS speakers might be in Norway? 

Are you the shipper?  or the receiver?

If you are from Norway, then you might know my good friend and biz partner Lillian Muller?  She is a Wegian (at least that is what I jokingly call her)

Those are some excellent speakers, especially with the Raven tweet. :thumb:

Enjoy.

Levinson

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2011, 06:19 pm »
Hi John..

I am the reciver.. :icon_lol:

I really havent seen any vmps speakers in norwegian hifi forums,

so my guess is, that there cant be many of them.(Brian might know)

Lillian Muller(who played in the music vid with Rod Stewart ??)

Thanks. I am looking forward to have them set up in my listning room. :thumb:

Ps. Any listning experience with this perticular model????

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2011, 08:05 pm »
Hi John..

I am the reciver.. :icon_lol:

I really havent seen any vmps speakers in norwegian hifi forums,

so my guess is, that there cant be many of them.(Brian might know)

Lillian Muller(who played in the music vid with Rod Stewart ??)

Yes, that Lillian Muller.

She turns 60 shortly and looks as good as when she shot that Music Video.

She recently with the help of some of the AC members was selected the "Worlds Sexiest Vegetarian over 50" by PETA.

Thanks. I am looking forward to have them set up in my listning room. :thumb:

Ps. Any listning experience with this perticular model????

That model was before my time as a dealer, so my listening experience is limited to a little time at a Beverly Hills Audio Salon in the early 80's.  What I remember was remarkable, but I don't think the ones I heard had the Raven in them.

Have fun 8)

Levinson

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2021, 02:15 pm »
Hi John

Still enjoying my super tower speakers . But i have a problem with one of the neo panel gone dead :roll: :roll:

Do you now if There are any neo panels for sale ?

GeorgeAb

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2021, 05:35 pm »
I provided this information a while back on how to obtain neo panels. It shows you what to purchase, how to identify the proper type that match yours (looks and electrically), and how Brian modified the panels for our use in VMPS speakers.  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=170897.msg1813464#msg1813464 I have done this a few times as I built a set of RM-V60's so I needed 12 panels. I sold a couple spares I had a while back. You may want to find out if you have 3 or 5 ohm neos. Since the neos are in circuit you may have to disconnect wires to measure.  Not sure why the pictures I provided are missing, will try to upload again.   

Unfortunately pictures seem to be missing from VMPS AC forum.  So on thread with post #62 which showed difference is no longer there. The one you are looking for is the one that looks like yours from front. The older style looks like the back of yours on both front and back. Another way of saying is one will have 5 rows and the other will 3 major rows with waves on sides and slight curve at top at bottom. 

This shows with 5 rows: http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/ST3.htm

This shows three rows: http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/RM40.htm

This shows the wave I mentioned on sides for neo panel information:  http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/technical.htm

This is the information from threads: 

Monsoon MM-702, MM-1000 and MM-2000 models have the correct panels. Still have to verify it is the correct type of panel. Post #62 in this thread https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113470.60 discusses difference in panels so you know what to look for. 

They will need to be modified which will require drilling out rivets and replacing with a nut and screw and 14 AWG Non-Insulated #4 Stud Ring Terminal to modify the panel.  Same post #62 along with #64 discussed the modification process.

I just measured three panels and all measured 3 ohms at the end of the wires so likely 2.8 ish at the panel which is the same as my RM-30’s which are circa 2006. Two separate purchases, and I recall my MM-702 set were also around 3 ohms. Just checked yes 3 ohms at the end of wires.

This is supplemental information on re-purpose panels to support your VMPS speakers. Post #4 above described what to look for and purchase, here is how I removed rivets and replaced with #4 screw, nut and spring washer and #4 ring terminal for 14 gauge wire Molex part number 19069-0099.

This is my experience and is for guidance only so if you mess up your panel its on you.       

The idea is to remove rivet while preserving the integrity of the tinned copper foil on the ring terminal (back) side of neo panel. 
What NOT to do.  Do not drill out rivet with drill as the rivet will likely turn with drill bit when it starts to become loose and subsequently tear up copper foil.

I used a Dremel with cutting wheel.  Wheels are usually larger so I wore it down to a smaller diameter.  I removed material from rivet with the cutting wheel on opposite side of rivet head until I was close to board.  I then took a dental pick and removed the last bit of material.  I then placed my finger on the copper foil side to hold foil against circuit card and gently pressed out rivet.  Copper foil was perfectly preserved. I touched the wheel on a neo case so I used a indelible Sharpie to bring it back to look like new.  Cleaned everything up with isopropyl alcohol and tooth brush.

Lastly, you can PM me and from there I can get pictures to you.

Pics are back. Thanks Admin!!
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2021, 07:28 pm by GeorgeAb »

GeorgeAb

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2021, 07:41 pm »
As a VMPS RM series aficionado, I have to support a set of RM-V60's, RM-40's and a Large Ribbon Center so that is 21 neo panels. In order to support  I have six spares, two have been converted, two are being used in a Monsoon system in my computer room and two are used in my work out room. So spares are actually being used. In the workout room I use Qobuz via Roon to my iphone to the MM-702 system and for what it is, it sounds great. Same goes for my computer room, you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding mini system and if anything happens I can convert to spares. When I built my RM-V60's I had four panels that came from VMPS. Two are in my RM-V60's, two were sold with a set of RM-30's I sold. So 10 of the panels in my RM-V60's are re-purposed level 9 neo panels. It took some patience (about 9 months) and luck to find that many panels.