An open audition for Diluceo's in the North East and in AZ.

Danny Richie

I really nice offer from Peter was made in the Criterion thread.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=3052

( outlawrocketman )

So I decided to give it its own heading since it is in reference to a different model.

Thanks Peter.

And what were those others speakers that you had on hand that you compare them to?  :D

Sa-dono

Re: An open audition for Diluceo's in the North East
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2003, 07:08 pm »
Quote from: Danny

And what were those others speakers that you had on hand that you compare them to?  :D

Just a warning..you might not want to go down that route :wink:

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2003, 07:16 pm »
That last line was said jokingly Peter in case you did not get it.

Sa-dono obviously took it seriously.

I should have added the  :wink:  emoticon.

Still though, why the warning?

BikeWNC

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2003, 07:40 pm »
Perhaps Peter, you could post a review of the Diluceos?  With a list of associated gear, room size, music preference/used, etc.  Thanks.

Andy

byteme

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2003, 08:13 pm »
I would FOR SURE be in on a mid-west swing of a pair of Diluceos!!

Sa-dono

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2003, 09:19 pm »
That last line was said jokingly Peter in case you did not get it.

Sa-dono obviously took it seriously.

I should have added the  :wink:  emoticon.

Still though, why the warning?

Just to avoid any potential mud slinging starting....

Danny Richie

Mud Slinging?
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2003, 09:43 pm »
Sa-Dono,

I like to think that our customers are way above that.

I have seen our customers compare our speakers to many others, but do not recall anything that I would consider mud slinging. Just about everybody makes some kind of comparisons even in professional reviews.

If anything was ever said here that was out of line I assure you that I would delete it.

BTW, I am surprised to see you here. I thought you were the number one drum beater for some other company.  :lol:

I am just poking fun at you now. You are of coarse welcome here anytime.

Danny Richie

Phoenix, AZ too!
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2003, 06:32 pm »
Thanks for the fine offer Todd.

See post from Todd about Diluceo auditions in the Phoenix area.

outlawrocketman

Re: An open audition for Diluceo's in the North East and in
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2003, 05:02 am »
I really nice offer from Peter was made in the Criterion thread.

( outlawrocketman )

So I decided to give it its own heading since it is in reference to a different model.

Thanks Peter.

Hi All,

It's been a while since I checked in here and just discovered folks asking me questions!

I've been remiss in not posting a full review. sorry Danny. In general, still loving the Diluceos. Quite a few visitors have enjoyed them as well. I posted most of the details somewhere - but forget where!

Anyway, Listening to the Diluceos with the Pioneer 47AI CD / SACD / DVD-Audio player, a YS-Audio Symphonies tube preamp (with two outputs so I can hang a subwoofer off too). YS sells mostly on ebay, built in Hong  Kong.  Amp is Antique Sound Labs AQ-1002 with upgraded preamp tubes (I think - I didn't do the work myself). Speakers are Onix 100s.

The environment might be considered near-field listening, in my study. The stereo is about mid way in my room between the far wall and where I sit.   Room is fairly large (maybe 30 by 20), carpet, lots of stuff on the walls et al. Ceiling is about 12' so quite a big space to fill.

As I mentioned, loving the Diluceos in this environment. The image is large (beyond the speaker edges sometimes) and holographic (deep as well as wide). Closing my eyes, I can't tell where the speakers are - on good recordings it sounds like the musicians are sitting in the room, at specific locations, and they stay there throughout the song. Great, pure listening experience. I've listened many hours in a row without tiring. Highs are not too bright, but the symbols (sp?) for example again sound like the live music.

Because the speakers have no back or side wall for support, I find the lows lacking punch. THe sound is there, but it more "describes" the sound of the instrument than "is" the sound of the instrument. I have the Onix UFW-10 on order and hope that adding it brings the bottom end to life without causing mud or causing the beat to lag. I tried a bigger sub just to see what it was like (the Cambridge SoundWorks SB1000). I liked the fuller range of sound, but literally it was as if the bass drum was being hit a millisecond after the other instruments went - i.e. caused the beat to lag. So I removed it for now.

I tried a bunch of other components, but these were the best. SS amp and preamp were bested by the tubes. I have PSB bookshelf speakers that were replaced by this rig. I used to think those sounded very nice, but no comparison. (My 12 year old daughter probably has the best sounding kid speaker in town :-). I also tried the Onix Ref-1s. I love the Rockets, and getting them for my HT made me want to upgrade my 2-channel system. The Ref1s were very nice. I think nicer looking and more refined. And the tweeter actually kept up with the ribbon very well. However, the midrange lacked the punch that I was looking for. (I listen to a wide variety of music, but want my rock to rock and my acoustic jazz and blues to be sweet.)  Overall it was actually very close, but the nod went to the diluceos for a fuller, more realistic sound in my place. In posting my comments over at AV123, mls, the owner / president whathaveyou posted a nice reply to my findings saying that he found the same thing with the Ref1s if not positioned near a wall - the midwoof was diminished.  

Btw, both GR and AV123 have been excellent to work with. Lots of free sage advice, not pushy but opinions given when asked for. A great experience all the way around.

Sorry about the rambling, and no mud slinging intended, but the best combination I found for the money ballpark I wanted to be in, given my room and listening tastes, is as described above.  If you are in the area feel free to get in touch to check it out for yourself!

Sa-dono

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2003, 05:45 am »
Quote from: outlawrocketman
Hi All,
The stereo is about mid way in my room between the far wall and where I sit. Room is fairly large (maybe 30 by 20), carpet, lots of stuff on the walls et al. Ceiling is about 12' so quite a big space to fill.

Hey Peter! Just curious about the room.... Before you said it was 20x20..which is a square..and now it has magically turned into a rectangle with 10 extra feet. It's pretty hard to miscount 10' (not to mention the room shape)...although maybe you got distracted by your wife, like someone else I read had measured the length of the speaker cables he needed incorrectly :wink: :lol: Just curious and confused is all :? TIA! :D

outlawrocketman

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2003, 12:23 pm »
Quote from: Sa-dono
Hey Peter! Just curious about the room.... Before you said it was 20x20..which is a square..and now it has magically turned into a rectangle with 10 extra feet. It's pretty hard to miscount 10' (not to mention the room shape)...although maybe you got distracted by your wife, like someone else I read had measured the length of the speaker cables he needed incorrectly :wink: :lol: Just curious and confused is all :? TIA! :D

Well, it was late at night and my vision was blurry!  I just got off my butt and measured it, and it's back to 20 X 20.  I'd post a picture but it's too messy!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2003, 07:50 pm »
Danny, Any chance that the Diluceo's speakers go out on their own cross-country tour as you have done with the Criterions ?  :D   Speaking of the  Criterions,sounding very nice,logging on lots of hours,full review with many sources to follow-Soon !  :D

Danny Richie

Not yet.
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jul 2003, 08:04 pm »
The Diluceo's are a little on the heavy side.

84 pounds for the pair not counting the wood create needed to insure minimal UPS damage.

I will try to get some around though when I can. I have a small group of people in the Chicago area I would like to send a pair to as soon as I can.

The last pair I had on hand went out to Enjoy the Music dot com for a review. They may have them for a while.

If you like the Criterion. You will love the Diluceo. The Diluceo takes the Criterion one more step.

audiojerry

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2003, 06:43 pm »
I am eager to hear the Diluceo. If Danny says they are a significant step up from the Criterion, it has to be a fabulous speaker.

When you are able to send a pair to Chicago, I will want to be on the list. The cost of shipping will be spread even more with each additional auditioner. There may be a few members in the Milwaukee area that can be included. I will volunteer to pick the pair up personally from Chicago, whoever has them last.

brad b

Killer Monitor for the Bucks...
« Reply #14 on: 9 Jul 2003, 08:35 pm »
Have had mine long enough now to really appreciate the detail the ribbon provides, without the etch that some people associate with a ribbon sound.  This is a very musical speaker, which will not bring on the fatigue, something a few other speakers seem to do to me.
b

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jul 2003, 02:53 am »
Danny,I would  like to see the Diluceo's out on tour also -  willing to pay the shipping no matter what and I'll bet there are others in NY,NJ,CT, that would sign up also.The home audition IMO is the best way for people to hear what your speakers can do.I know because I've audition the Criterions at my house and I could not of heard them any other way ! :D

Danny Richie

Diluceo Demo
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jul 2003, 03:40 am »
I am pretty sure there will be a proud Diluceo owner in Brooklyn, New York, very soon.

I don't know when I'll be able to get all the demo pairs out there that I would like to, but I am working on it.

byteme

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2003, 02:44 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
I am eager to hear the Diluceo. If Danny says they are a significant step up from the Criterion, it has to be a fabulous speaker.

When you are able to send a pair to Chicago, I will want to be on the list. The cost of shipping will be spread even more with each additional auditioner. There may be a few members in the Milwaukee area that can be included. I will volunteer to pick the pair up personally from Chicago, whoever has them last.

Jerry, put me on the list to listen and share shipping cost!