AV1+ tweeter repair!!

cdub

AV1+ tweeter repair!!
« on: 28 May 2003, 03:45 am »
This question is for Danny or anyone else that may have any input.

Somehow one of the domes on the tweeter of my av1+ got "pushed in".  Needless to say I am pretty disheartened right now.  Is there any way to repair it?  I've heard of applying tape and trying to pull it out.  Or maybe removing the tweeter and pushing it out from the inside.

Any ideas? Or do I have to replace the tweeter?

Thanks everyone,
Chris

F-100

AV1+ tweeter repair!!
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2003, 04:12 am »
Have you try the vacumm cleaner technique yet?

cdub

AV1+ tweeter repair!!
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2003, 04:15 am »
Quote from: F-100
Have you try the vacumm cleaner technique yet?

Do you just crank on the vacumn and let er rip? Or is there some kind of technique to it?  Thanks for the reply.  This definitely sounds like it may be the way to go.

Chris

Danny Richie

Solution
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2003, 05:20 am »
You can use a vacuum but be careful not to get to close.

It is safer to remove the tweeter, take off the diaphragm and push it back out from the inside.

Then use a hair dryer to lightly heat the dome up (don't get it too hot), and it will take out any wrinkles.

cdub

Re: Solution
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2003, 03:50 am »
Quote from: Danny
You can use a vacuum but be careful not to get to close.

It is safer to remove the tweeter, take off the diaphragm and push it back out from the inside.

Then use a hair dryer to lightly heat the dome up (don't get it too hot), and it will take out any wrinkles.

Danny, your solution worked perfectly!!!  Thanks a bunch for taking the time to answer.   The hair dryer worked perfectly!

One more quick question. When I put the diaphragm back on how do i know which side it pos/neg.  I just took a guess and put the speaker back together figuring i have a 50/50 chance getting it right.  I can't hear anything different, but i don't have "golden ears".  Is there any way to tell without diassembling the speaker?

Thanks again!

Chris

Danny Richie

Great
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2003, 05:10 pm »
The diaphragm has a larger and a smaller tab on it.

The larger on is positive, the smaller is of coarse negative.