Bass in small room

HowardUK

Bass in small room
« on: 11 Dec 2017, 10:52 pm »
Hello. I'm a newbie here.  BBC sound recordist trained, way back.   Presently trying to get that elusive 21Hz organ pedal into my 17x8 room.  30 to 60 is adequate and fairly even, from two 8-inch ABRs driven by a 100 watt car amp with LPF.  Intuition tells me that fitting an open speaker sub into a hole in the wall from the garage next door may work - pressurising the room.  Would it?
At a previous small house, I put a 12 inch speaker in a chimney plus an eight inch through a wall hole, and together they gave me satisfactory 20.   Solo, much less good.
At an even earlier house, I built the same 12 inch Goodmans (old!) into the rear of a blockboard bookcase, with folded chamber totalling 24 feet.  That was wonderful - more than enough pedal power in a 25x25 ft space, and painfully loud at 50.  The amp was 25 watt valve.  From what's been said so helpfully and so far on this forum, my flappy suspended ceiling may well have acted as the desired bass trap.  I knew not what I did.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Bass in small room
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2017, 11:08 pm »
Welcome aboard Howard :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2017, 02:23 am »
Welcome!

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2017, 02:26 am »
Welcome to the sweet spot.

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2017, 02:32 am »
Hello and welcome to AC, HowardUK!  You should have taken the online ID of "McGyver", those built-in subs are some pretty ingenious thinking.

This may be of some interest to you: http://www.eminent-tech.com/  Click on the TRW-17 link.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2017, 11:27 am »
Welcome.

What you're describing is an infinite baffle.  An internet search will turn up good resource information.

A friend put two 15 inch high Qts woofers (mounted face to face) between his 12ft x 20ft living room and his attic with a 40 Hz low pass filter (the rating for his mains) and driven by a 150 watt amp.  Could barely hear it outside, but frankly it underwhelmed me inside.  Didn't know him to be a bass weeny so perhaps the filter was limiting effectiveness (too slow a crossover slope).

Using a woofer and hole through the wall would turn the room into the inside of a speaker cabinet.  Having a simple hole to the outside is unthinkable for me (insects, pollen, heat/cooling losses).  Your old tube amp could likely have had excessively loose bass (typical of vintage tube amps).  The folded chamber you mention could have been functioning as a pipe or transmission line of some sort.

Without driver parameters, filter, and amplifier numbers, any idea is a crap shoot. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2017, 01:23 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC HowardUK   :thumb:

jk@home

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2017, 10:43 pm »
Welcome.

What you're describing is an infinite baffle.  An internet search will turn up good resource information...

Yes, he should check out the cult:

http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/