My GR Research Super V system

danvprod

« on: 15 Jul 2017, 07:56 pm »

Room dimensions are 16’9” x 14’2” (small alcove in the back by the entry door to the room – 7’7’” x  2’2”, so the right side of the room is really 14'6") x 9’ tall.

Major Components:
-----------------------
1. GR Research Super V speakers.
2. Rythmik Audio DirectServo A370PEQ amps to power the 12” SW-12-08FR subwoofers in the GR Super Vs.
3. Decware Mini Torii tube amplifier.
4. Lounge Audio Mk III LCR phono preamp.
5. MHDT Paradisea+ DAC.
6. Sony TTS 3000A turntable with SME Series IIIs tonearm and AT 440 MLa cartridge.
7. Interconnects: Blue Jeans Cables LC-1s.
8. Speaker cables: Ancor 12-gauge tinned copper (like Supra PLY).
9. Power conditioning: P.I. Audio Group MiniBUSS.
10. Power cords: Nothing special except on the MiniBUSS. Mini has a DH Labs Power Plus power cord with a Neutrik powerCON.
11. Breeze Audio USB to S/PDIF convertor.
12. Hubbell spec grade duplex HBL5262GY.
13. McCormack TLC-1 Preamp
14. Salamander audio rack.

Room Acoustic Treatments:
------------------------------
1. GIK Soffit bass traps 4x on the front (1x 35” to account for shorter right wall vs. left wall). 1x on the back wall behind the listening chair.
2. 4x RPG BAD ARC diffusors at the first reflection points.
3. 4x RPG Skyline diffusors in front of the GR Super Vs on the front wall.

Notes:
--------
I wanted to re-post about my system now that I have had a chance to get it set up and dialed in during the last year. The Super Vs were not my first open baffle speakers that I’ve tried out in my room but far and away the best. The Super Vs replaced a pair of Decware-modified Fostex full range drivers in MLTL enclosures and before that a tri-amped pair of JBL horns (2226 + 2445 + 2405s). Bass from the Super Vs is unlike anything I’ve ever heard, even more powerful than my JBL 2226 midbass drivers in large enclosures with DSP and EQ.

With the Super Vs being 97 dB efficient, the 4 watt Mini Torii amplifier performs very well at up to concert volumes with the help of the active subwoofers in the Vs.

In the past year, I’ve also made lots of improvements to the room with treatments. I have five GIK acoustics soffit bass traps, which have been the biggest improvement I’ve made in my room by far. I’ve also added a set of skyline diffusors in front of the speakers on the front wall and just recently a set of RPG BAD ARC diffusors at the first reflection points.

Speaker cables have had a lot of churn recently. I had been using some DIY “white lightning” cables, built from instructions on 6moons. More recently, I switched to Blue Jeans speaker cables (Ten White) having also tried AntiCables in the process. Also had the Decware Zen Styx cables, which were a bit too short, so I sold them. I am back to either the DIY white lightning cables and Ancor marine 12-gauge tinned copper cables, which sound pretty good for the price. I'm still in the market for speaker cables.

Due to some hum in the sub amps that was audible from the listening position, I’ve had to install Rolls audio hum eliminators between the line outs of my tube amp and the inputs to the A370 sub amp. They work well and now my system is dead quiet.

I've been thinking of upgrading my power conditioning and recently purchased a P.I. Audio group miniBUSS. I plan on getting an uberBUSS in the future and daisy chaining the two together. The miniBUSS is still in transit (7/29/17).

Music that I listen to:
------------------------
Jazz, classical, modern and classic rock. Lots of titles on vinyl as well as my digital audio collection being played back from my computer. I have a USB to S/PDIF convertor (Breeze Audio) and then a 15’ S/PDIF cable, which goes to the MHDT DAC.

Updates:
1. Investigate ASC window plugs to put in the window between speakers. http://www.asc-soundproof.com/products/window-plug/.
2. Consider Decware ZP3 vs. Lounge Audio MkIII in the future.
3. Consider adding additional bass traps, especially on the back wall.
4. Consider moving the audio rack out between the speakers and onto the side wall by the listening chair (Experiment tried, back to rack between speakers).
5. 7/29/2017. Noted changed power conditioning solution. AudioPrism Foundation III has been sold, CD player out of the system. P.I. Audio miniBUSS purchased with DH Labs power plus. Decware speaker cables have been sold because they are too short. Back to White Lighting and Ancor tinned copper cords. Updated picture of system. Spatial black hole generator removed from system.

Details:
---------------------------------------
1. Decware Mini Torii:

Mullard Knight EZ81 -- Tube rectification
6v6 RCA gray glass -- Power tube
Raytheon OC2 -- Input stage regulation
Raytheon OA3 -- Output stage regulation
Mullard 12AU7 -- Input tube

2. Detail of first reflection panels (RPG BAD ARCs):

« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2017, 07:14 pm by danvprod »

ebag4

Re: My GR Research Super V system
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2017, 08:42 pm »
Beautiful system and setup Dan.  I know you are getting some excellent sound.

Best,
Ed

S Clark

• Measurements don't make your toes tap
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2017, 09:16 pm »
That is great rig you've got.  And talk about bang for your buck!  Nicely done.   :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Vector - I've got Direction & Magnitude! Oh Yeah!
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2017, 11:31 pm »
As much as I enjoy you purchasing and implementing treatments, I think the single most important improvement you have garnered from your system is the ability to make measurements in the low frequencies, learn from them, make adjustments and subsequently make improvements to your system because of them. It is a knowledge that you can take with you regardless of where your system goes from now and into the future  :thumb:.

Best,
Anand.

danvprod

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2017, 08:25 pm »
Some Sunday low-cost experimentation. I still struggle with the Vs presenting a stable center image and have been reading the various treads about equipment racks to the side vs. between the speakers. Seems like racks in the middle are especially troublesome when they are as tall as the tweeter. I'm experimenting with putting the amp on the floor. I don't have ICs long enough from my turntable to run on the sidewall of the room, so I am just first experimenting with my DAC next to the amp, where I do have a 15' S/PDIF cable that can feed it.

Pretty non-subtle improvement to the imaging and soundstage. Center image is apparent and soundstage is deeper. Much less confusing aurally to have the rack out from between the speakers.

Who else has tired this?

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2017, 08:52 pm »
Lowering the equipment rack to about a foot off the floor made a significant improvement in imaging in my system as well.

Best,
Ed

gregfisk

• Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2017, 05:42 am »
Some Sunday low-cost experimentation. I still struggle with the Vs presenting a stable center image and have been reading the various treads about equipment racks to the side vs. between the speakers. Seems like racks in the middle are especially troublesome when they are as tall as the tweeter. I'm experimenting with putting the amp on the floor. I don't have ICs long enough from my turntable to run on the sidewall of the room, so I am just first experimenting with my DAC next to the amp, where I do have a 15' S/PDIF cable that can feed it.

Pretty non-subtle improvement to the imaging and soundstage. Center image is apparent and soundstage is deeper. Much less confusing aurally to have the rack out from between the speakers.

Who else has tired this?

My rack is on the side wall, laid the room out from the beginning so I could do it that way. At my beach house I have a dining room table in between my speakers, it is a very small house.

It makes a huge difference not having something in between for sure, I would never go back.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2017, 10:56 am »
Beautiful system and room Dan. I see you are using an MHDT DAC as well. I have had a Havana for over 5  years now and have not felt the need to do anything different. It just plays music.

Shakey

danvprod

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2017, 12:28 pm »
@Shakey -- love my MHDT! I agree with you, it just works and plays music. No thoughts to upgrade other than maybe upgrading the tube at some point from stock.

To those that have moved their rack from out between the speakers: how do you deal with the long ICs? I need at least 15' to get from my amp to the rack following the wall to the left of the speakers (the rack is directly behind me to the left). The Decware amp is not perfect here, since it has two inputs and volume controls. It's prob better to also move the amp to the rack and run both long ICs and long speaker cables, although I would need ~ 25' runs to the right speaker and right A370 amp.

The other option I have considered is putting the gear in the closet behind me (would be a challenge but I could do it) and then running cabling to to the right side of my room outside my room and making an input box in both the closet and on the right wall. That would be fun and clean things up a lot.

Getting some relatively inexpensive long ICs is the first step here. I think that 15' Blue Jeans cables have low enough capacitance to not cause any HF rolloff, plus since the volume controls are on my amp, the signal to the amp's inputs is line level and not attenuated.

danvprod

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2017, 01:22 am »
Local CL find today: A McCormack Line Drive TLC-1 preamplifier. This unit has a buffered output and passive outputs, which lets me do two important things:

• Run my Decware amp powering the P.Audio drivers with the fMod 80 Hz HP filters, keeping low frequencies out of the co-ax amp and letting me get a dB more or two out my 4 watt amp.
  • Balance the whole system with measurements and then adjust the volume with a single knob.

I still am having an issue with the right HF driver (see my other thread), but I am hoping a diaphragm change will remedy that. The direct out of the preamp also makes my noise floor drop even more.

Also, here are the amp settings of the A370 that gets me +- 5dB from 20 Hz - 100 Hz in my room:

fMod 80 Hz HP filters in place:

TLC-1:

« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2017, 11:47 am by danvprod »

danvprod

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2017, 07:11 pm »
Made some updates to reflect what has happened in the last couple weeks to the system. I picked up a P.I. Audio Group miniBUSS, which I am super excited about.

Also received replacement diaphragms from Loudspeakers Plus, which fixed the issues in the FR between the left and right speakers at 1.8 kHz.