LGK 1.0 Build

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
LGK 1.0 Build
« on: 28 Apr 2017, 03:29 am »
These are almost done so not really much of a build thread. I'm also taking these to LSAF next week. The veneer is a walnut burl. Like the NX-Oticas, these have two coats of the EM1000 sealer and three coats of the EM6000 water based lacquer

Mike

DeeJayBump

Re: LGK 1.0 Build
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2017, 06:08 am »
Beautiful job, Mike.

BK_856er

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2017, 10:11 pm »
Looking good!   :thumb:

Great little speakers for a fancy veneer - they wear it so well.

My LGKs continue to impress in the SQ department.  Definitely keepers.

BK

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2017, 10:39 pm »
I love that veneer Mike, those look great!  I'm going have to build a pair of these.  Have a great show!

Best,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2017, 04:17 am »
Thanks all.

BK, they certainly are keepers. The first pair I built are still the speakers of choice in my office.

Ed, you won't be disappointed. These little guys punch way above what you would expect.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2017, 01:10 pm »
Awe man those look great.

restrav

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2017, 01:13 pm »
I want to learn how to this veneer could you recommend resources to learn how to do this for someone with minimal woodworking experience?

Oscillate

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2017, 02:06 pm »
Most excellent sir! Enjoy the LSAF :)

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2017, 02:16 pm »
Amazing veneer!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2017, 03:14 pm »
I want to learn how to this veneer could you recommend resources to learn how to do this for someone with minimal woodworking experience?

Here's a resource for info and supplies:

https://www.veneersupplies.com/

Easiest good way to start is probably paper backed veneer and Heat-Lock glue.

If you Google something like "applying wood veneer" I think you'd garner a few days worth of reading.

Many have posted their projects here and given insight into their methods.

If books are more your thing, I have several I could dig out and name for you...say the word.

Oh, and looking good Mike, I thing you and I share the same speaker building compulsion...

cody69

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2017, 04:16 pm »
Nicely done Mike! I really like your choice of veneer... burl is so unique and interesting!

I've done a few pair of LGKs, but was in such a hurry to get them in use that I coated them with duratex.
I like your approach... build a little gem of a speaker and use a really nice veneer.
You may have inspired what my next project will be!

cody69

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2017, 04:23 pm »

Here's a resource for info and supplies:

https://www.veneersupplies.com/

Easiest good way to start is probably paper backed veneer and Heat-Lock glue.

Peter gave good advise with the link above. I learned a lot from this site and even built the vacuum press that is discussed therein.

I found Peter Burton's book useful when I was getting started veneering... may want to check it out.
I have the first edition... I see he's released a 2nd edition that I've not seen.
https://www.amazon.com/Veneering-Foundation-Revised-Mike-Burton/dp/140272649X/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2017, 04:28 pm »
Thanks everybody

Dadbeh,

As Peter mentioned, veneersupplies.com and it's companion site joewoodworker.com is a great resource. This veneer came from veneersupplies.com. I have also received a lot of help and ideas for folks right here on the forum.

I used the Heat Lock glue/iron on method for these speakers. However, since this is raw wood veneer with straight edges vacuum pressing would have been the best method. Unfortunately I don't own a vacuum press setup yet. I have my eye on an Excel 5 continuous run kit from veneersupplies. Hopefully some time this summer I'll get one.

Another good resource is YouTube. If I'm thinking about a particular task I just do a search on it and get quite a few videos of how different folks accomplish it. A few channels I have found particularly useful are Charles Neil, The Wood Whisperer, Woodworkers Guild of America, and Fine Woodworking. There are many others, these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Cody,

I was in such a hurry to hear the first pair of these I built I made the mistake of hooking them up before I had any type of finish on them. They sat on my desk as raw MDF for the better part of a year. I finally got around to veneering and finishing them when I took them to LSAF two years ago.  I used a crotch walnut on them, which also came from veneersupplies.com.

Mike

mpauly

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2017, 07:33 pm »
those looks awesome!!!

I'm just about done building mine (took way longer to get the time build than expected) and will be veneering them in the next couple of weeks when my heatlock arrives.  Mine will be in a pomelle sapele.  Hope the look half as good as yours.

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2017, 09:50 pm »
It is refreshing to hear that others struggle with finishing speakers.  I often end up with mules in raw mdf or Baltic birch for a lot longer than I had intended!

cody69

« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2017, 10:56 am »
Mine will be in a pomelle sapele.
Hope you post pics of these... am sure they'll be stunning!

mpauly

« Reply #16 on: 8 May 2017, 02:32 am »
Hope you post pics of these... am sure they'll be stunning!

Will do. I'm sure by the time I finish them some new technology will be on everyone's phone to easily create 3-D VR photos  :lol:

Aside from finding time, I always get into analysis paralysis on how best to finish the pieces and not ruin all the time spent building them.  Need to just get off the proverbial pot.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2017, 09:54 pm »
I had the Walnut Burl pair playing at LSAF and they generated quite a stir. A number of people came to the room saying they had been told they just had to hear these. All left, after picking their jaws up off the floor, in disbelief. Even other exhibitors who regularly hear high and ultra high end speakers couldn't believe what they were hearing.

Little Giant Killer these most certainly are.

Coldfusion

« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2017, 03:44 pm »
These are almost done so not really much of a build thread. I'm also taking these to LSAF next week. The veneer is a walnut burl. Like the NX-Oticas, these have two coats of the EM1000 sealer and three coats of the EM6000 water based lacquer

Mike

Those walnut burls are awesome!!!  I'm sure they'd go quickly if you ever decided to sell them. Any pics of them with the drivers in them?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2017, 05:58 pm »
Those walnut burls are awesome!!!  I'm sure they'd go quickly if you ever decided to sell them. Any pics of them with the drivers in them?

Here are some pics of the burl set up

They are for sale. Although there was a lot of interest, no one bought either pair. I probably had too high a price tag on them. Having both in an expensive veneer may not have been the best idea. I probably should have had one pair in a less expensive domestic veneer with a more reasonable price tag.

Mike