Strata Mini sub amp not working

cbc

Strata Mini sub amp not working
« on: 18 Dec 2016, 03:29 pm »

Hello there,
I've owned a pair for years, recently decided to pull them out of my spare room & set them up again . Noticed one of the plate amps not working, illuminated power switch rapid light blinking. The other one seems to be OK (constant light inside switch). I know these are way beyond EOL, wondered if anyone might offer a suggestion/schematic. A good reminder to self not to own self powered speakers once they are out of warranty.
Ran them last night w/o subs on, and they still sound pretty darn good.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2016, 05:20 pm by cbc »

drewm

Re: Strata Mini sub amp not working
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2016, 06:10 pm »
They were built during the time of failing capacitors:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

And also tin whiskers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisker_(metallurgy)

So the issue is likely to be one of the two. My money is on failing capacitors, usually the ones in the power supply area. That's where I've seen most of the issues with plate amps.

If all of that is over your head, any good electronics repairman should be able to diagnose and replace capacitors for a few hundred dollars worst case

wje

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2016, 06:16 pm »
When I had my Strata Minis, I replaced the amps because they would experience some ground loop hum, at times.  I went with 300 watt BASH amps from Parts Express @$150, each.  I used 1/2" MDF to resize the opening for the plate amp and painted the MDF satin black, so it wouldn't look so obvious.  The Stratas have moved on to a new home, but doing the amp replacement was the best move I ever made.  Plus, having a plate amp that has a standby mode can be good for the electrical bill too as opposed to one that remains on all the time.

cbc

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2016, 07:39 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, yeah , was thinking that it was probably caps, have seen that issue too often on motherboards  built around that same time. Also really like that BASH Solution! Might be almost cheaper than having to have  the two plate amps recapped by someone. I had thought about maybe selling them, as $ is a bit tight lately (wife got told her job's gone next week- merry xmas), but may need to shelve that idea for now . It's always something...

Update: Well, whatta yah know, turns out it was my wiring that was the issue, seems I'd forgotten that in order for the sub amp to get signal you actually need to use the jumpers to do exactly that! I had them connected from the amp to the amp, instead of from the amp to the high level input. All better now. Whew!

« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2016, 09:48 pm by cbc »

sandbagger

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2016, 08:33 pm »
There was no Xover or anything in the amps that I know of, but I never did much work on them so swapping them out should be straight forward.

my bet would be bad caps in the power supply, lots of issues back then.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2016, 06:01 pm »
Or you can skip the built-in subs and get some real bass.  :icon_twisted:

FYI, I highly recommend spreading the mini's out as much as you can and toe them in towards your ears.  Not like this pic where I had them closer together.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2016, 09:08 pm by corndog71 »