W-Frame wiring to Oppo 105

oneartist

W-Frame wiring to Oppo 105
« on: 18 Nov 2016, 12:54 am »
I built a pair of Danny's OB W-Frame subs using double 3/4" birch for the side walls. From my Oppo 105 I have connected the single RCA sub out through a Y connector to the double RCA standard inputs of the A370PEQ. The Oppo 105 also has high level stereo outputs of XLR or RCA. Should I connect one of these pairs to the high level banana plugs of the A370PEQ? How would that be wired? I guess I will eventually learn to use the settings of the A370PEQ, but for now, I just want to make the best connections. In case anyone noticed the picture, I did install the missing return wires from the driver coil.

srb

Re: W-Frame wiring to Oppo 105
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2016, 01:17 am »
The SW Subwoofer output of the Oppo is already a mixed mono signal so you don't need to split it to both L & R line-level inputs on the A370PEQ.  You could just use the L input, but If you do plug it into both you would increase the gain by 6dB and as the guide indicates, you may want to do this if you need more gain to match high efficiency main speakers.

The stereo RCA and XLR outputs of the Oppo are not high-level outputs, they are line-level outputs.  The high-level binding post inputs on the A370PEQ are for high-level (speaker) output connections.

Steve

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2016, 02:14 am »
If you watch movies with the Oppo, do not connect the sub out connection to open baffle subs. The sub out is the LFE or .1 channel of a movie track. While all the bass from channels set to small is sent to this channel,it is also where all the special effects are. A lot of special effects, especially in action movies, will cause the OB subs to bottom out.

How you connect to the A370's depends on how you are controlling the volume. If you are using the 105 to control volume you have the left and right RCA output in the 7.1 section and the XLR and RCA outputs in the 2 channel section. Don't use connections from both of these sections for your main speaker/sub combo because they use different DACs.

I'm not sure if you can use both the XLR and RCA connections in the 2 channel section at the same time. If you can you would run one pair to the the power amp for your main speakers and the other pair to the A370's. If not you would need to split the signal from either the XLR or RCA outputs.

If you are using an inline filter before the power amp to roll off the low frequencies to your main speakers, like I do with my Wedgies and NX-Otica monitors, you can build the filter with a by-pass leg. The filtered leg is connected to the main speaker's power amp and the unfiltered leg is connected to the A370's line level input.

To use the A370's High (speaker) level inputs you would connect a second pair of speaker cables to the binding posts that your main speakers are connected to. With this type of connection you have to send a full range signal to your main speakers. CAUTION!!! if your amplifier has A and B speaker connections, DO NOT connect the main speaker cables to A and the A370's to B (or vice versa).  If you do you could blow your amp. I did it and the fuse did blow but not before the amp fried.

If the Oppo is connected to a pre-amp or receiver and you use that to control the volume, the A370's need to be connected to it.

oneartist

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2016, 02:37 am »
You could just use the L input

Steve
Thanks Steve. When I use the HPF outs of the A370PEQ to jump to the second A370PEQ should I use both L&R or just continue using the L only? The two subs are paired with the L&R Magnepan 1.7s. The center is a CC3. Two MC3s on the sides and MMWs in rear. Any suggested filter settings would be appreciated. I know I need to study and experiment with the settings, but others experience gets you to the right place much faster. 

oneartist

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2016, 02:53 am »

I'm not sure if you can use both the XLR and RCA connections in the 2 channel section at the same time.

Thanks for the good info mlundy. I'll check with some friends at the AVS forum regarding the stereo outputs.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2016, 03:04 am »
When I use the HPF outs of the A370PEQ to jump to the second A370PEQ should I use both L&R or just continue using the L only?

The HPF outputs are high-pass filtered @ 80z so they are outputting frequencies from 80Hz and up.  They are designed to feed main speakers if you don't have any other method of bass management.  If you try and use them to daisy chain another subwoofer you won't get any bass at the 2nd subwoofer below 80Hz!

Instead you can use your Y-adapter either at the Oppo SW output (or at the 1st subwoofer line input, whichever results in shorter RCA cables depending on your subwoofer placement) and run the second RCA cable to the second subwoofer's L line-input.

Steve

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2016, 04:10 am »
If you are pairing the subs with the Maggies, one sub per Maggie, then you would want to connect the subs so you had stereo bass. To do this you would connect a left channel output from the 105 (or whatever you use to control the volume) to the left A370 and a right channel output to the right A370.

Think of each Maggie and it's sub as a single two part speaker. What you end up with is a stereo pair of full range main speakers. If you are going to use the system for both movies and music you also need to have a sealed or ported sub connected to the mono sub out connector.

Mike

oneartist

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2016, 06:02 am »
Thanks for clueing me in on the outputs of the A370 PEQ3. I'm still checking on using one side of the stereo RCA out to one sub and the other side to the second sub. Then I would use the XLRs for the 1.7s. The center to the CC3. Sides to MC3s and rears to the MMWs. Like you said this would use two separate DACs. Some friends at AVS should help with these questions.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2016, 03:34 pm »
  Why not try the Mapleshade method of connecting the subs off the main speakers binding posts. Can work very well. Give it a try.

charles

rockdrummer

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2016, 07:05 am »
After reading mlundy's reply about volume control, I realize that my plan to hook up my super vs won't work.  I don't have a preamp, or a receiver with preamp outputs.  I am going to use a Bottlehead Tube amp.  Thinking I would be able to split each channel off the cd player, one leg going to the amp and the other going to the servo amp.  I'm embarrassed to say I didn't realize my predicament.  hmmmmm

good luck oneartist.

Ben

gmurray618

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2016, 11:28 am »
Perhaps you been one of these ... http://www.firstwatt.com/b4.html

bdp24

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2016, 09:11 pm »
Perhaps you been one of these ... http://www.firstwatt.com/b4.html

That's watt (ha!) I use.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2016, 10:16 pm »
After reading mlundy's reply about volume control, I realize that my plan to hook up my super vs won't work.  I don't have a preamp, or a receiver with preamp outputs.  I am going to use a Bottlehead Tube amp.  Thinking I would be able to split each channel off the cd player, one leg going to the amp and the other going to the servo amp.  I'm embarrassed to say I didn't realize my predicament.  hmmmmm

good luck oneartist.

Ben

Why not just get a nice receiver?  Marantz are pretty good.

oneartist

« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2016, 03:14 pm »
If you are pairing the subs with the Maggies, one sub per Maggie, then you would want to connect the subs so you had stereo bass. To do this you would connect a left channel output from the 105 (or whatever you use to control the volume) to the left A370 and a right channel output to the right A370.

Think of each Maggie and it's sub as a single two part speaker. What you end up with is a stereo pair of full range main speakers. If you are going to use the system for both movies and music you also need to have a sealed or ported sub connected to the mono sub out connector.Mike

I used your idea, but I'm not sure about how I did it. I connected the stereo out of the 105 to the L&R W-Frame subs and the FL & FR outs to the 1.7 amp. The mono sub out to a  sealed sub. Magnepan manual says not to do this because the stereo section uses a different dac than the multichannel analog out section. My connections are working, but maybe I should try something else since Magnepan says no. What if I split the FL & FR cables to both the 1.7's and the W-Frame subs? Would this have a negative effect on level controls?

BK_856er

« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2016, 05:24 pm »
I used your idea, but I'm not sure about how I did it. I connected the stereo out of the 105 to the L&R W-Frame subs and the FL & FR outs to the 1.7 amp. The mono sub out to a  sealed sub. Magnepan manual says not to do this because the stereo section uses a different dac than the multichannel analog out section. My connections are working, but maybe I should try something else since Magnepan says no. What if I split the FL & FR cables to both the 1.7's and the W-Frame subs? Would this have a negative effect on level controls?

You paid a lot of money for the decent stereo out of the BDP105.  Split that signal to your amp and woofers.  Or if suitable (check first) get XLR-RCA adapters in lieu of the splitter - BDP105 has both!  The multichannel output of the BDP105 is inferior so you should avoid it if possible for 2-channle audio.  You could run the BDP105 subwoofer output to your sealed sub if you really need it, or maybe even better to use one of the A370 outputs for that.  My $0.02, but I don't know the peculiarities of the M1.7.

BK

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2016, 05:39 pm »
This is what I would do. Use a Y connector with an inline filter like this. This can then be plugged into the back of your amp.

The subs then get a full range signal and then for the filter to your main amp choose a cap value that will leave the Maggie about 6db down at 40Hz. The value depends on the input impedance of your power amp.

oneartist

« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2016, 06:20 pm »
The Odyssey Stratos stereo amp's Input impedance is 22K ohms

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 30 Nov 2016, 06:37 pm »
I checked with OPPO tech support. Both the RCA and XLR outputs in the 2 channel section are active and can be used at the same time.

If you don't want to limit the signal to the Maggies you could connect them to one pair of the outputs (RCA or XLR) then connect the sub to the other output. This will send a full range signal to both the Maggies and the subs.

If you want to keep the low frequencies away from the Maggies (which will allow them to play cleaner, especially at higher volumes) than use the inline filters Danny described.

Mike

skalos

« Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2016, 08:22 pm »
Hello,

Will someone please lead me to the detailed discussion of the inline filter?  I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

jparkhur

« Reply #19 on: 30 Nov 2016, 08:30 pm »
Im dangerous so here is my two.. .

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134314.msg1426200#msg1426200

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126480.msg1334315#msg1334315

Here..

Those who know more, feel free to submit here.... Im only so good....