***Retro Receiver Facelift***

Peter J

• Hmmmm
***Retro Receiver Facelift***
« on: 24 Mar 2012, 07:29 pm »
One thing seem to always lead to another...
Recently I got a new LCD computer monitor replacing an old but good CRT. The base isn't adjustable for height and I don't like looking down at the darn thing so I needed to make a booster seat for it.

As some may know, I've been (with much help from Danny) on a little desktop speaker mission and bought a little T-amp that would power them. As I was thinking of a good way to incorporate that amp into the booster seat, it occured to me I had an old Pioneer receiver doing nothing...and it's just about the right height for monitor...Bingo!

There's a vent at the back that the monitor base would partially block, so I got to thinkin', which often leads to some hare-brained idea like this one. What I needed was vents on the sides and not in the middle.

I like the looks of these old receivers, kinda nostalgic for me, but wanted to change it a little, so here's what I did:

Pioneer SX-525, 15 or 17 watts, perfect for desktop

And another shot of corner

Out with the old

And in with the new

Fitting new Richlite corners

A little black dye and wax

New shell clamped up

Old and new together

Head on view

And another view

Yet another view, headphones are Koss Pro 4-AA from the same era, the shizzle back in the day

So now my monitor has a new home on top of an old receiver. I'll use the same laminate for the speakers.

DeeJayBump

Re: ***Retro Receiver Facelift***
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2012, 11:05 pm »
Good stuff, thanks for posting. Vintage receivers are not only perfect for a desktop/PC system, some of them still hold their own in a 2-channel system.

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2012, 12:00 am »
Nice. That receiver should drive those headphones nicely too.

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2012, 02:04 am »
That looks fabulous.  Those 70s stereos have future built in on them....comparing with all this chintzy Class D/T amps popping up everywhere like rabbits.   :thumb:

jeffh

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2012, 04:53 pm »
That looks real nice. Thanks for sharing.

Where did you get the metal you used to fill the holes?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2012, 07:37 pm »
That looks real nice. Thanks for sharing.

There's a unique store not far from us called the Reuseum...they have all sorts of interesting stuff. I cut the rectangles from a bigger piece of stainless perf metal that was part of some unknown assembly I bought for $15. I hit it with sander to get the brushed look kinda like the metal on the front.

http://www.reuseum.com/

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2012, 07:54 pm »

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-perforated-sheets/=gtiymz

Darn near every different kind of perf plate you could think of.  Hope this helps. :)

Æ

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2012, 08:59 pm »
Your's is nice, very nice.

Someone gave me an old receiver. I cleaned it up, changed the power supply filter caps, gave it a new power cord and painted it satin black. I scuffed up the cheap wood grain vinyl and painted it over with Rustoleum oil base, using a small foam roller. Not too bad. I didn't especially care for the receiver so I ended up selling it.

« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2012, 06:48 am by Æ »