Group Buy - Revised LDR3x.V2 Passive Preamp Controller Board - $199 Special

J Payton

Will a balanced kit be available sometime in the future?

JP

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Will a balanced kit be available sometime in the future?

JP

Have no plans for a balanced kit at this point. There's easily twice the hardware in a balanced unit and I'm not sure it would fit in this small an enclosure and also fit the XLR connectors etc.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Ok. It's up on the website store.  I've let you know.  :green:   http://www.tortugaaudio.com/product/ldr3x-v2-1/

Updated group buy list. As soon as I get the V2.1 set up on the website/store I'll let you know.

AudioCircle
1 - 33na3rd
1 - glynnw
2 - clefchef
1 - jtwrace (maybe)
2 - markn
1 - mikebarney
1 - golfrod
1 - krikor
2 - TrungT
2 - Mas
1 - sfox7076
1- eparson
1- rklein
1- VincentH
1- Alfi
diyAudio
1 - Quirepace
1 - Do
1 - nilsjnesse
2 - justubes

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Will the new board have the same pin layout as before; i.e., will it be easy to switch them or will I actually have to think (not a good thing)?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Will the new board have the same pin layout as before; i.e., will it be easy to switch them or will I actually have to think (not a good thing)?

Most everything is the same and what's different is not likely to pose any challenges to swapping new for old. The audio in/out term blocks are exactly the same. The J2 control term block is the same except I moved the 12 V trigger to to the last (8th) terminal which was unused. The power terminal block J6 is now only +Vin and Gnd. No +5 or 12V Trigger out. There's no on-board mount for the IR Receiver but you can still attach it to the J2 control term block if you like. Most locate the IR Module off the board anyway and the DM1 display module has a mount location for the IR that's usually more convenient.

So yes, that qualifies as "easy"  :green:

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Is it possible to power this preamp with a 12 volt battery vs a walmart power supply ?

Also assuming this will be placed in btwn your dac and amp/amps ?

And it will have two low level out puts, so you could drive one amp for the subs/woofers and another for the mid/tweeter ?

The usb port is just for programing ?

( sorry if that seems like a stupid question. )

Thanks.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Is it possible to power this preamp with a 12 volt battery vs a walmart power supply ?

Also assuming this will be placed in btwn your dac and amp/amps ?

And it will have two low level out puts, so you could drive one amp for the subs/woofers and another for the mid/tweeter ?

The usb port is just for programing ?

( sorry if that seems like a stupid question. )

Thanks.

Not stupid at all.

Battery: I've heard from several customers who have powered their LDR3x preamp with battery power with very positive results. So yes, it's not only possible but may actually prove to be ideal. To be clear, I've yet to try this myself. Not because I'm not curious. But because there's only 24 hours in a day and testing battery power simply hasn't reached the front burner...yet.

Placement:  Yes, the preamp goes between your source (DAC) and your amp(s).

Driving main/sub/multi amps:  This question of driving both main amp & sub amps or bi/tri-amps from a common output comes up often. I could bog you down with analysis and discussion of parallel impedance but the simple answer is most of the time this will work quite well. Yes, there will be exceptions but there are so many variables such that it becomes nearly impossible to make sweeping definitive statements. What I can say is it usually works out very well...but not always. The ultimate solution when it doesn't work out well is to employ a buffer; something we're working on but isn't ready yet.

USB Port:  Yes, the USB port is only for uploading new firmware into the LDR3x board. It's a software driven device and no software is bug free - ever! And with software there's the possibility of both new features and improved performance. We don't intend for this product to remain static. The next big software upgrade will involve adjustable input impedance.

Cheers,
Morten

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Just a quick reminder to those of you who expressed interest in the new V2.1 who may not have gotten around yet to placing your pre-orders. To those of you who have, thank you very much.

We've now had a chance to test out a prototype version of the board, make a few corrections and have released the design for final fab of the boards. We remain on track to release the V2.1 starting the week of January 5th although depending on the volume of orders received this roll-out may take a couple of weeks since we stuff and test the boards ourselves and there's only so many hours in a day. We'll ship the boards in the order the orders were received.

Happy holidays to all!
Morten

AudioCircle
1 - 33na3rd
1 - glynnw
2 - clefchef
1 - jtwrace (maybe)
2 - markn
1 - mikebarney
1 - golfrod
1 - krikor
2 - TrungT
2 - Mas
1 - sfox7076
1- eparson
1- rklein
1- VincentH
1- Alfi
diyAudio
1 - Quirepace
1 - Do
1 - nilsjnesse
2 - justubes

slefley

One problem I've had with some remote volume controls is the spacing between steps - the volume is either slightly too loud or slightly too soft - I can't seem to get the 'right' volume with some remotes.  This has happened with stepped attenuators (where the steps are too big) and continuous ones too (where the motor jumps too far).  Does anyone know if the new LDR3 remote volume has small enough "steps" to avoid this issue?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
One problem I've had with some remote volume controls is the spacing between steps - the volume is either slightly too loud or slightly too soft - I can't seem to get the 'right' volume with some remotes.  This has happened with stepped attenuators (where the steps are too big) and continuous ones too (where the motor jumps too far).  Does anyone know if the new LDR3 remote volume has small enough "steps" to avoid this issue?

I hope owners will pipe in on this question but to date I've never heard anyone comment on the attenuation curve being too coarse. All of our passive preamps utilize a 70 step schedule between -60  and 0 db. The first 55 steps between -60 and -5 are ~0.9 dB and the remaining 5 are  0.5 dB. In the event this should ever prove insufficient it will be possible to increase the number of steps and thus decrease the step size accordingly - all via a software update.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
I have no problem with the current settings.  Never seems to be too big a jump - in fact I usually find myself adjusting by 2 steps at a time.

slefley

That's music to my ears - thanks

robertopisa

Same here, no problem with the steps.
-R

I have no problem with the current settings.  Never seems to be too big a jump - in fact I usually find myself adjusting by 2 steps at a time.