Anyone try class d amps

Escott1377

Re: Anyone try class d amps
« Reply #20 on: 30 Mar 2015, 12:34 pm »
I use a pair of the W4S mAmps to run the woofer module on my VR4jr's.  I used to have them powering both modules when biwiring.

I was plenty impressed when I began using them.  I had previously had a pair of Manley Snappers biwired.

I was concerned with the speed of the Class D amp, but my concerns have been eliminated.

Now that I am bi amping and have balanced out my gain differentials, the amps do plenty well IMO w/ their duty.

Their biggest perks are price and heat dissipation.  I also found the manufacturer to be very responsive and easy to work with.

Good luck -

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #21 on: 30 Mar 2015, 12:50 pm »
I'm using the Bel Canto Ref 500 x3 on my Uni 2's front, in a HT sound system.  Detailed without edge, open, terrific low-end punch I have found they provide all the dynamics I could wish for in a small, warm running package.   Jack 

BigSwede

« Reply #22 on: 30 Mar 2015, 12:57 pm »
I am using a Bel Canto eVo2i MkII integrated with my VR-33s and I am very happy with the sound, and would echo Jack's comments above (other than the "small, warm running" part, as the eVo2i is a full size component that doesn't more than warm).

SundayNiagara

« Reply #23 on: 30 Mar 2015, 02:37 pm »
Does anyone remember the big class D Mark Levinson monoblock's that Michael Fremer trashed in a review? I think they were in the $50k range.

mhconley

« Reply #24 on: 31 Mar 2015, 02:07 am »
I use DIY ICEpower 1000ASP monoblocks to drive my VR-4 Gen III HSEs.  I really like the power, speed and transparency of ICEpower amps.  I think my monoblocks are a great match with my speakers.  I've considered biamping with tubes on the top module and may try it if I ever scrape up enough funds.

Martin

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #25 on: 31 Mar 2015, 09:05 pm »

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 31 Mar 2015, 09:07 pm »
Does anyone remember the big class D Mark Levinson monoblock's that Michael Fremer trashed in a review? I think they were in the $50k range.

Sure do SN and you can find them new sealed on line for less than half msrp.  My local dealer can't give 'em away..

mfsoa

« Reply #27 on: 31 Mar 2015, 10:37 pm »
I've used a number of the Digital Amp Co. class D Cherry amps on my VFR4jrs to good effect. I never heard the speakers with my current DAC Maraschino amps though I'm sure it would have been a fantastic pairing.

Delacroix

« Reply #28 on: 1 Apr 2015, 03:02 am »
Yep, I ran the little Maraschino monos on my 5s and loved the results. I think Tommy O'Brien's amps are really quite special and a great match with the Vons.

mcallij1

« Reply #29 on: 4 Apr 2015, 04:14 am »
I used Channel Island 500's with my VR 35's. They were recommended and I really like how they make my speakers sing.

gme109

« Reply #30 on: 6 Apr 2015, 04:03 am »
Channel Islands D-200 Mk. II's with VR-35's. Couldn't be happier!

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #31 on: 6 Apr 2015, 05:18 am »
I mentioned the Bel Canto's 500 mono's above.. I should have said they are the Ref 1000's.   Also, I'm using the Flying Mole 100 mono's for my VSA rear surrounds.  The Flying Mole's have a volume attenuator on the front plate which I find handy when dialing in the rears.  I also have on stand-by, a Virtue Audio Stereo amp.  All pretty cool stuff,, that offer big sound in a small pkg.  Jack

gammajo

« Reply #32 on: 7 Apr 2015, 06:58 am »
I have heard the following excellent Class D designs with VSA speakers that are worthy of audition: Channel Islands D500 and Merrill Audio Veritas but personally preferred Nuforce designs of Reference 9V2 SE or later, and Reference 18 and Reference 20. More recent quality Class D designs are hitting the Editors Choice and Recommended components lists of TAS including the Nuforce 18, plus MBL and Rowland. All teh ones that I have heard do need good power cords and isolation and I think benefit from a tubes preamp.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 9 Apr 2015, 05:07 pm »
This past weekend I listened to the monstrous JBL Project Everest DD66000 speakers driven by the Devialet 200.  The diminutive Devialet is one extraordinary integrated/DAC and IMHO a game changer..

SundayNiagara

« Reply #34 on: 10 Apr 2015, 08:14 pm »
This past weekend I listened to the monstrous JBL Project Everest DD66000 speakers driven by the Devialet 200.  The diminutive Devialet is one extraordinary integrated/DAC and IMHO a game changer..

Those speakers BEG for tubes.

choffman

« Reply #35 on: 21 Apr 2015, 12:14 am »
Let me get this out of the way.  I'm coincidentally selling my Spectron Monoblocks on Audiogon so take the following comments for what they are worth.  That said, I am a VSA owner so I suppose I have some credibility on the topic.

I was a very early adopter of the Musician III in its stereo form and I used with VR-4s with much success.  I then upgraded to the Musician III Signature mk2 and it was pretty much a different amp at that point.  This was followed by an upgrade to the Bybees which again was a big improvement.  The V-Caps and then fully modded monoblocks followed once I got a pair of VR-5 Anniversaries.  I love love love the Spectrons.  They are effortless in their presentation.  Not once have I ever felt they had a lack of drive or dynamics.  Of course, they come in at over 1000 watts per channel bridged to mono so they have gobs of power that just kick ass with the VSAs which aren't the easiest speakers to drive.  Its no wonder they mate well with VSA speakers since Albert used them at one time for voicing speakers.

My only other experience with class D is the Cherry amps which Albert briefly used in a demo at RMAF a couple (three?) years ago.  They sucked.  Whether there was something wrong with them or they just aren't very good, I noticed Albert ditched them after a day and went with different amps.

Ultimately, the amps that displaced the Spectrons were Berning Quadrature Z Monoblocks.  Had my friend not been selling the Bernings, I would still be happily listening to the Spectrons.  The Bernings are a definite step up from the Spectrons but then they cost $30,000.

roxito

« Reply #36 on: 23 Apr 2015, 10:14 am »
My experience... (I have Uni2 mk2)

After a lot of online research on forums I concluded the Channel Islands Audio (CIA) class D amps was perhaps the best option at its price(compared to Emotiva, Butler Audio, and Odyssey) . So i decided to try their D200 mk2 amps. After purchasing, i did some A/B testing with my 5 year old denon 3311ci receiver's built in amps. Rest of the components being identical. The d200 connected to denon's preouts.

It was nearly impossible to detect any difference in the sound quality except one minor thing (the vocals appeared to be shifted slightly left of true center in case of D200). When i reported to CIA that the sound was identical, he was kind enough to send me their preamps (free just for trial) to eliminate any possibility that the denon's built in preamps were holding the D200s back. I redid the A/B test with CIA preamp+amp vs the Denon.  Still same result. No diff except the minor issue I note above.

There was really no audible difference in sound quality, be it bass, midrange, highs, soundstage or imaging.

Since the Denon can handle both HT & stereo, and the D200s pair could only do stereo while costing ~$3k more than what i paid for the denon... i returned the D200.

On the plus side it felt good to know that the my cheaper setup sounded as good as something much more expensive and was also more flexible... On the down side this cost me a few hundred bucks in restocking fees and shipping.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #37 on: 23 Apr 2015, 01:29 pm »
Curious to learn what IC/Speaker cables you are using and I'm guessing you are using a bare wrap on the denon terminals since it won't accommodate spades/banana's?  Jack

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #38 on: 23 Apr 2015, 02:34 pm »
  Using a pair of VR-6 as a reference we compared a Wytech 211 based SET to the hybrid class "D" Arion S-500Se with Duelund CAST output cap. To our surprise the Arion just sounded more like music. An uncolored presentation with more weight and dynamics.  Bas was better focused with slam factor. The midrange bloom was not noticed from the Wytech until the direct comparison was made. Tried also on VR4 to great affect.

charles