LDR.V25 (the "V25") Preamp Controller

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: LDR.V25 (the "V25") Preamp Controller
« Reply #40 on: 28 Mar 2017, 02:28 pm »
In addition to adding the OLED character display to the V25 we've also just added optional WiFi connectivity!

In many respects the V25 has slowly morphed into a variant of what we'd planned for the V3 only with a different architecture. In fact, the V3, at least as originally conceived, may now be moot.

The circuit board hardware for both WiFi and OLED display will be part of the V25 from day one. However, both will require additional software development before these optional feature are functional but this can be done with a simple firmware update via USB connection.

Once enabled, WiFi will make it possible for subsequent firmware updates to happen automatically in the background without any intervention. WiFi will also make it possible to control the V25 via a smartphone. This will require either a custom smartphone app to work. No promises on when that will be available but at least now it's a baked in upgrade path for the controller.

Cheers,
Morten

WC

« Reply #41 on: 28 Mar 2017, 04:21 pm »
I guess the main difference is that the V25 is limited to 2-channel, while the V3 could be used for multichannel. If the V3 would be mainly for multi-channel, each of the sub boards would not need the capability of 6 inputs and 2 outputs.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #42 on: 28 Mar 2017, 05:41 pm »
I guess the main difference is that the V25 is limited to 2-channel, while the V3 could be used for multichannel. If the V3 would be mainly for multi-channel, each of the sub boards would not need the capability of 6 inputs and 2 outputs.

A few points to help clarify this:

1) Each V25 board is a 2 channel board  same as each V3 LDR board was going to be a 2 channel board.

2) Each V25 board can switch up to 6 different 2 channel sources....the same as the V3 LDR was going to do.

3) Multiple V25 boards can be daisy chained together in a multi-channel configuration same as the V3 was going to do. The simplest example of this is dual boards for a balanced audio setup.

4) It's true that for true multi-channel applications each 2 channel board does not need the ability to switch between multiple input sources. This is true of the V25 and would have been equally true for the V3. To the extent that there's demand for multi-channel applications of the V25, a variant of the V25 could be produced that only accommodates a single source. This would reduce the physical size of that V25 variant board between 35-50%.

As I thought through these points the key difference between the V25 and the V3 is that the V3 was conceived to have only a single processor on a separate control board linked to 1 or more "dumb" LDR I/O boards. The V25 approach puts a processor on every board and there's only one type of board. The first V25 board becomes the master and all the other V25 boards connected to it via a daisy chain of serial data links becomes a slave board (by setting a jumper).

When I started down the road  on the V25 it was supposed to be simpler and less capable than the V3 and yet still be a logical step up from the existing V2. Instead it has morphed into its own variation on the V3 mainly because I couldn't come up with a good reason not to. Initially, some features inherent in the V25 will not be available until a later date when the software catches up with the hardware.

Cheers,
Morten

WC

« Reply #43 on: 28 Mar 2017, 08:13 pm »
So hypothetically, if I would like to do 6 channels on input #1 of the boards, and have 2-channel sources for inputs #2 and #3. I could add 3 boards: 2 with single input LDR and one with 3 input LDRs. So only the Main board would have the three inputs? (I realize that all the boards have 6 inputs and 2 outputs, but adding additional LDRs does cost more.)

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #44 on: 28 Mar 2017, 08:32 pm »
So hypothetically, if I would like to do 6 channels on input #1 of the boards, and have 2-channel sources for inputs #2 and #3. I could add 3 boards: 2 with single input LDR and one with 3 input LDRs. So only the Main board would have the three inputs? (I realize that all the boards have 6 inputs and 2 outputs, but adding additional LDRs does cost more.)

If I'm following you then  it would look something like below.  I'm curious if this is just a theoretical scenario, or if not, what kind of setup would have these characteristics ?

Board #1 (2 channels) - single source - LDRs on input #1 only

Board #2 (2 channels) - 2 sources - LDRs on inputs #1 and #2 only

Board #3 (2 channels) - 2 sources - LDRs on inputs #1 and #2 only

You'd have 6 total channels. You would designate board #1 as the master and #2 and #3 as the slave. Display and control interfaces with master board only. When volume raised/lowered on #1 master the other 2 boards follow in lock step.

One of the wrinkles that would need to get ironed out with software is how to handle input switching between master and slave boards since they all don't have the same # of input sources. I'm sure this can get worked out during the board setup process.

One clarification: the V25 has up to 6 switchable inputs but it does not have 2 switchable outputs. There is only 1 output per board (1 output per channel).

WC

« Reply #45 on: 29 Mar 2017, 02:52 am »
Not quite what I was thinking.

Board #1 - Master Board - 3 inputs (#1 multi-channel (2 Channels), #2 and #3 2-channel (2 channels))
Board #2 - Slave Board - 1 input (#1 multi channel) (2 Channels)
Board #3 - Slave Board - 1 input (#1 multi-channel) (2 Channels)

Input #1 is my DVD-Audio player (5.1 analog), Input #2 is a DAC, Input #3 is a Phono. So, if I switch to input #1 it will play in all 6 channels, but if I switch to input #2 it will only play in 2 channels?

So, as I understand it each board has a single output (Left and Right for 2 channels of output).

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #46 on: 29 Mar 2017, 02:32 pm »
Not quite what I was thinking.

Board #1 - Master Board - 3 inputs (#1 multi-channel (2 Channels), #2 and #3 2-channel (2 channels))
Board #2 - Slave Board - 1 input (#1 multi channel) (2 Channels)
Board #3 - Slave Board - 1 input (#1 multi-channel) (2 Channels)

Input #1 is my DVD-Audio player (5.1 analog), Input #2 is a DAC, Input #3 is a Phono. So, if I switch to input #1 it will play in all 6 channels, but if I switch to input #2 it will only play in 2 channels?

So, as I understand it each board has a single output (Left and Right for 2 channels of output).

Right then. See no reason why that won't work. A detail that has to be thought through is what do the slaves board do when the master switches to #2 or #3 input. The simplest approach is the slaves act normally and do the same as the master by switching to inputs #2 or #3 that connect to nothing so who cares. A more deliberate approach is to makes the slave boards know they only have 1 input so when master asks for #2 or #3 the slaves shut off #1 and shut off their output as well. This can all be worked out through software and a setup menu.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #47 on: 29 Mar 2017, 02:55 pm »
The V25 is now fully cooked and production boards have been ordered.  :thumb:

As I was finalizing the layout I took another look at the OLED 2x16 character display and decided I wasn't totally thrilled with the look of that display compared to the fully graphic OLED display I'd been using for the V3 board. After some late night editing I was able to add an optional 14 pin header that will allow the V25 to use the graphic OLED display. It still retains the potential of using a character based OLED display but I suspect I'll end up focusing on the graphical version. The programming for the graphic display is way more complicated, uses way more memory and requires a fast processor but the V25 has the horsepower and capacity plus most of the really hard graphic infrastructure programming is already done. To make room for the new 14 pin header, I changed the USB port from a simple 5 pin header to a vertical mounted micro USB type B socket which has a much smaller footprint.

Thus, the first production V25 board will now have the option (in terms of hardware) of driving a 7 segment display (our current display modules), a character based OLED display, or a higher resolution graphic OLED display. It also has the option of plugging in a WiFi module.

Final changes included a larger linear regulator to handle the added WiFi and display options. Also added an optional input/output pin header for direct connecting to  I/O jack boards.

The final board size grew 0.2 inches in length to 5.7 inches wide by 2.7 inches tall.

That's it. Done and done. We'll have V25 boards in house in 2 weeks (or less) at which point we expect to begin shipping.

Cheers,
Morten

mrvco

« Reply #48 on: 2 Apr 2017, 03:58 pm »
Morton - Looks great, any idea yet on when the v25 boards will be available in production LDR3 preamps?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #49 on: 2 Apr 2017, 05:07 pm »
Morton - Looks great, any idea yet on when the v25 boards will be available in production LDR3 preamps?

Blank production boards are scheduled to arrive in-house by April 10. We'll need a few days to build and commission an initial lot which means we're on track to start shipping V25 boards by around April 15th. Later in April we'll be announcing new versions of our finished preamps based on the V25.

mikebarney

« Reply #50 on: 5 Apr 2017, 12:07 pm »
Morten-
Any chance the new display will have the capability to label inputs, such as "Phono", "Tuner" or "DAC", instead of simply 1,2 or 3?
Either user programmable or even pick from a pre-defined list would be great!
Thanks,
Mike

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #51 on: 5 Apr 2017, 01:45 pm »
Morten-
Any chance the new display will have the capability to label inputs, such as "Phono", "Tuner" or "DAC", instead of simply 1,2 or 3?
Either user programmable or even pick from a pre-defined list would be great!
Thanks,
Mike

Yes!

mikebarney

« Reply #52 on: 5 Apr 2017, 02:02 pm »
Great!
Thanks,
Mike

mrvco

« Reply #53 on: 8 Apr 2017, 01:27 am »
Blank production boards are scheduled to arrive in-house by April 10. We'll need a few days to build and commission an initial lot which means we're on track to start shipping V25 boards by around April 15th. Later in April we'll be announcing new versions of our finished preamps based on the V25.

Thanks, looking forward to it!

kernelbob

« Reply #54 on: 8 Apr 2017, 01:23 pm »
Hi Morten,
Personally, I'm quite happy with the Apple remote.  I don't have to go hunting to find the particular button to control a particular function.  Any chance that version 3 will continue to also support the Apple remote?

thanks, Robert

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #55 on: 8 Apr 2017, 06:04 pm »
Hi Morten,
Personally, I'm quite happy with the Apple remote.  I don't have to go hunting to find the particular button to control a particular function.  Any chance that version 3 will continue to also support the Apple remote?

thanks, Robert

I've no intention of abandoning the Apple remote after releasing the Tortuga remote. I can imagine there may come a day where certain features or functionality may be possible with Tortuga remote that may not be practical with Apple remote but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Plus, when the new menu based OLED display option becomes available for the V25 board that display will allow the Apple remote to handle most anything without having to remember modes and button sequences.  Both remotes use the same NEC IR protocol so the communications infrastructure hardware/software is the same for both even though they transmit different specific button codes.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #56 on: 21 Apr 2017, 09:23 pm »
Here it is at last, the first production board of the new LDR.V25 Preamp Controller.   :thumb:
The board in this pic has a full complement of LDRs installed except for the Mono switch.

« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2017, 06:27 pm by tortugaranger »

enser

« Reply #57 on: 24 Apr 2017, 07:20 pm »
Looks superb! LDR for all preamp I/O and attenuation functions is looks to be a game changer and I'm really looking forward to integrating these into my system!

Adrian

doggie

« Reply #58 on: 1 May 2017, 03:58 pm »
Hi Morten,

I skimmed through the thread but did not see any mention of being able to replace the board in our existing units with this new one.

Is there an upgrade path for existing users either as DIY or through you?

Best,

Paul

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #59 on: 1 May 2017, 05:22 pm »
Hi Morten,

I skimmed through the thread but did not see any mention of being able to replace the board in our existing units with this new one.

Is there an upgrade path for existing users either as DIY or through you?

Best,

Paul

While I've yet to announce any upgrade program, the key points that come to mind in considering an upgrade from a V2 to a V25 are as listed below. I'm sure this list will evolve.

1) Both boards use the same Tortuga Audio display modules, encoder & IR receiver module
2) Both boards use the same Apple remote
3) Both boards can use the same power supply
4) The V25 is slightly wider and longer than the V2 so the mounting holes will be different.
5) The V25 has its own input switching so you'll no longer need your existing external switching board used with the V2
6) Both boards use the same 5 pin USB header connection except the header is on the underside of the V25 board
7) The V25 board has no piggy-back board on its underside so overall the V25 can be mounted lower than the V2.
8 ) With the V25 you MUST connect the IR receiver module to the master display module since there's no place to mount the IR receiver directly to the V25 board itself.