M3TM + X1 Base?

Jonathon Janusz

M3TM + X1 Base?
« on: 9 Jul 2017, 10:17 pm »
Neat that this circle just opened up, because it makes it easy for me to ask a question I had looking around the Spatial website.  :D

I know this might be a little out there, but could the M3TM be built on the base/frame of the X1?  I watched the build videos (I think of the M4?) that showed some of the CNC machining for each of the baffle layers, and it looks like the cutouts for the wire routing wouldn't get in the way of the mounting points of the X1 frame. 

Also, I thought it would be an easy way to get the M3 tweeter up to ear height without messing with the baffle much, as well as get it to 90 degrees from the floor (am I remembering correctly that there is a bit of a tilt to the M3 as currently built to account for the reduced tweeter height?).  I'm thinking these two things together might be worthwhile/advantageous  with the new open backed tweeter to better position the backwave radiation pattern for the compression driver?

I'm sure potential shipping costs would increase, as I'm guessing the X1 bases can't flat-pack as well as the M3 hardware, but the idea does use all (Spatial) off the shelf parts, so maybe not as insurmountable a cost difference from engineering unique parts from scratch?

Lastly, I really like the look of the X1, and I would presume the added stability from the heavier frame might be advantageous in certain in-home situations (say, heavy pile carpet?), not to mention more firmly planting the driver baffle to the ground?

So, am I crazy or could an M3TM-X be a thing?

Spatial Audio

Re: M3TM + X1 Base?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2017, 03:07 am »
Neat that this circle just opened up, because it makes it easy for me to ask a question I had looking around the Spatial website.  :D

I know this might be a little out there, but could the M3TM be built on the base/frame of the X1?  I watched the build videos (I think of the M4?) that showed some of the CNC machining for each of the baffle layers, and it looks like the cutouts for the wire routing wouldn't get in the way of the mounting points of the X1 frame. 

Also, I thought it would be an easy way to get the M3 tweeter up to ear height without messing with the baffle much, as well as get it to 90 degrees from the floor (am I remembering correctly that there is a bit of a tilt to the M3 as currently built to account for the reduced tweeter height?).  I'm thinking these two things together might be worthwhile/advantageous  with the new open backed tweeter to better position the backwave radiation pattern for the compression driver?

I'm sure potential shipping costs would increase, as I'm guessing the X1 bases can't flat-pack as well as the M3 hardware, but the idea does use all (Spatial) off the shelf parts, so maybe not as insurmountable a cost difference from engineering unique parts from scratch?

Lastly, I really like the look of the X1, and I would presume the added stability from the heavier frame might be advantageous in certain in-home situations (say, heavy pile carpet?), not to mention more firmly planting the driver baffle to the ground?

So, am I crazy or could an M3TM-X be a thing?

Hi Jon,
The M3 is tall enough to not need tilt back. You are thinking of the M1, which was shorter and tilted back. The X1 legs could theoritically be mounted to the M3s, but they would cost almost as much as the M3 speakers themselves.

Clayton

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2017, 03:23 am »
Thanks for the reply and the clarification.  Interesting...

Slightly aside, can the M3TM be ordered in a veneered finish or is that only in the European market?

Thanks again!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2017, 05:23 am »
...I thought it would be an easy way to get the M3 tweeter up to ear height without messing with the baffle much, as well as get it to 90 degrees from the floor...

What you see below worked wonders for me.

As a temporal measure, I used 4 porcelain bowls to lift each speaker 3" up off the ground.

The effect was immediately apparent. Tilting the angle back doesn't have the same effect.

I'm in the process of designing an isolation platform to bring the compression driver up to ear level.

For my particular needs, that means the the platforms will have to be 6" high.

SFDude

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2017, 06:52 am »
That looks interesting Windchaser! Is it stable on the carpet? I have mine in a bedroom with carpeting and use the spikes to pierce through it. I've always thought about replacing them with something else that would also be more adjustable (ie. longer threaded rod) to vary the height of my M3TS speakers.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2017, 07:42 am »
It's very stable, but awkward to move.

As for carpet spikes, I really hate them. They can do a lot of damage and be a real PITA to work with. The platforms will have a hard surface so using spikes won't be an issue. In your case longer rods could work as long as you don't require much lift.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2017, 11:24 am »
Wind Chaser,

Nice, inexpensive and innovative!  :thumb:

Sent you a pm.

Best,
Anand.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2017, 02:06 pm »
One thing I should add is I'm not sure how much of a difference isolation will make with an OB? I know from experience isolation can really clean things up with an enclosed speaker due to all the energy contained within the cabinet; however I suspect that may not necessarily be the case with a rigid free standing panel... Nonetheless less damping material is lighter than hard mass so even if there is no benefit to isolation, there will be still be an advantage with respect to weight.  :green:

The main objective here is to get the point source situated at the critical height along the vertical plane, which in my view is every bit as important as the horizontal plane.

SFDude

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2017, 06:26 pm »
Given the cost of the X1 base is probably prohibitively expensive in comparison to the M3TM (or M3TS for that matter), I was looking into the GAIA Speaker Isolators from isoAcoustics. They just thread into the outrigger stands and replace the existing spikes/footers.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I am also looking into porcelain bowls but the way my chair sits currently, those bowls would elevate the height of the speaker above my ear listening level too much.

-dave

sumoking

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jul 2017, 08:13 pm »
I can share the I made significant improvements to my M3 Turbo S's with replacing stock spikes with brass points with brass pucks underneath which sit on top of Herbies glider dots.

I got a significant jump in the impact and depth of bass.  Since the spikes added about three inches, it raised the compression driver to ear level. I also added Herbies damping material by cutting the 1/8" sheet into small strips and put them on the back of the four 15" drivers.  These improvements were well worth it and a lot of fun to implement.  You do need to be careful that you don't over damp the metal frames on the woofer. I just started slow and added more strips in he same area on each speaker until I needed to back off a couple strips. My goal was to improve definition, sound staging and timbre. Its a tough balance, but I definitely reached my goal. 

Last step is to upgrade to the Triode Master.  I haven't seen reviews on this new speaker.  Has anyone ?