WOW! NUPRIME introduces the IDA-16 offering 384K & DSD decoding

bh46118

I finally got my AS issue with the review. I've never heard the Belles Soloist 1, but I am VERY happy with the sound of my IDA-16. :D

John Casler

I finally got my AS issue with the review. I've never heard the Belles Soloist 1, but I am VERY happy with the sound of my IDA-16. :D

Interesting.

I have not seen the review as of yet, but the Belles Soloist 1 is not a "Integrated Digital Amp" (IDA) as it doesn't seem have a digital section, which is one of the main features of the IDA-16.

While it can be compared in the amp section, the sound would seriously be impacted by the outboard DAC being employed.

Can't wait to see the review.

fiveoclockfriday

I was extremely disappointed in the review, personally. No effort at all was taken to compare the IDA to Nuforce's older DDA (which TAS themselves reviewed in the past), or any of the popular amp/dac combos like Wadia, Peachtree, Naim, or newer Musical Fidelity or Marantz.

No slight to the IDA-16, I just thought the review wasn't very useful for someone considering buying one. Basically it says "it's good, a good value for the price, but not as good as much more expensive combos". Which, at MSRP of $2500, we can assume it's pretty good right...

I just didn't find it informative at all.

bh46118

I would feel safe in speculating that the IDA-16 would show a clean set of heals to a good many "much more expensive combos".

It's much more than pretty good, do yourself a favor and buy one. You won't be sorry.

Bruce

Basically it says "it's good, a good value for the price, but not as good as much more expensive combos".

we can assume it's pretty good right...

« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2015, 10:27 am by bh46118 »

bh46118

I would have much preferred he used his $5995 DAC with the Belles unit for the comparison instead of the one that cost $189. I believe it would have made for a much more interesting review. That being said, he did say the IDA was a bargain, and is highly recommended.  :thumb:

I just thought the review wasn't very useful for someone considering buying one.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2015, 10:33 am by bh46118 »

rustydoglim

I was extremely disappointed in the review, personally. No effort at all was taken to compare the IDA to Nuforce's older DDA (which TAS themselves reviewed in the past), or any of the popular amp/dac combos like Wadia, Peachtree, Naim, or newer Musical Fidelity or Marantz.

No slight to the IDA-16, I just thought the review wasn't very useful for someone considering buying one. Basically it says "it's good, a good value for the price, but not as good as much more expensive combos". Which, at MSRP of $2500, we can assume it's pretty good right...

I just didn't find it informative at all.

How many audiophile magazine reviews have you seen that do comparison? Long time magazine readers know how to read between the lines  :P
Because magazines, unlike blog or forums, rely on advertising income. Lets be realistic here, the subscription don't even cover the printing cost.
If the reviews keep on putting down other products, sooner or later all brands will hate the magazine and it will cease to survive.
Sites like CNET do comparison because they are the super sites, no brands can afford to ignore them.
So how does one make decision ?  Well, the good old word of mouth and customers feedback.
The magazine review gives you a basis of how the product will perform. But you then rely on customers recommendations to judge how good it is compared to others.

Furthermore, the reputation of the company and people behind the brand.  And if you are seriously considering buying one, you can always convince a dealer or the company (i.e. me) to guarantee a full refund.  By the way, you must pay first.  I once trusted a guy named Marc Fogel (and he even posted question about IDA-16 here) and he stole the IDA-16 from us.  His personal check bounced and after he repeatedly promising to pay, I then never hear from him again. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Yes, comparisons within the professional realm must be "safe", either comparing higher priced pieces (done either with known much more expensive gear and inevitably stating close/great value but... or with gear that is no longer sold as new and inevitably being better).  Computer Audiophile seems to offer the most useful reviews, coming from choosen knowledgable unpaid writers.  For the rest:

- Know the reviewer, read enough of his previous reviews to get a feel of what he values, his limits, his associated gear/room, and what he likes;
- Read between the lines to find out what is not being said;
- To be safe focus on pieces that have received several super positive reviews (yes that's boring);
- Realize that honestly most gear won't really impress, so why review it?  That's a big reason why 99% of reviews are positive.

I've read very few out and out negative reviews because they can ruin a company and get very nasty.  Even reviews that include measurements can be challenged in court.

I prefer the blind panel shoot-outs of similar gear, but again it takes guts to publish the results.  Another good alternative to auditioning at home is to have your local audio club audition together and share the credit card/return shipping hassles.

bh46118

The review in reality was very positive for the IDA-16 and pretty well done overall. The use of the $189 DAC just seemed to indicate a certain lack of effort, or at least the appearance of a lack of effort. Maybe that DAC is actually a very good one. Anyway, enough from me on that subject. The IDA-16 soothes my nerves when I've had a rough day, it draws me into my CD's and holds my attention like nothing else I've ever owned, it makes my life better.  I can't ask for much more from an audio component, and I am definitely sold on the sound and the concept . I need to quit gushing or someone will think I've been hired by Jason and John.  :lol:

rustydoglim

The good old word of mouth and friend's recommendations work the best.  I have been in this business since 2005 and our track record speaks for itself  :thumb:
Always very straight with what we have and no bullshit marketing.

bh46118

:thumb:

The good old word of mouth and friend's recommendations work the best.  I have been in this business since 2005 and our track record speaks for itself  :thumb:
Always very straight with what we have and no bullshit marketing.

bh46118

Jason Or John

Can we look forward to any more reviews of the IDA-16 in the near future by either websites or magazines, hopefully in English ?  I have found several European reviews on various web pages, but I have to guess as to what is being said, :duh:  :lol: since most don't translate well to English.
« Last Edit: 2 Apr 2015, 01:57 pm by bh46118 »

John Casler

At this time I am only aware of a Reviewer on the East Coast (around Washington DC) who has an IDA-16 out for review.

There may be others.

bh46118

Thanks John

dr.sah

IDA-16 is very nice and good amplifier. In my system was much better than my previous Components, and I had dac for 3300$, and much more expensive amps in class D.

bh46118

If Meridian MQA ends up being THE way to store and play digital audio files in the near future, how can I decode it with my IDA-16 and not override the built in Sabre DAC ?

Thanks Bruce

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Bruce, I wouldn't lose sleep over the Meridian concept.  New formats come and go.  Meridian doesn't have the clout to swing the entire industry to their way, regardless of how much sense it makes, and it wouldn't happen over night.  Besides, you have the IDA-16 so enjoy.

bh46118

I absolutely love my IDA-16, but I have a gut feeling the MQA music file is going to be huge if it really does sound significantly better than other file formats. Hopefully through either software, or possibly through an add on decoder running into the IDA, we can have MQA capability and still use the built in DAC.  Could the Meridian explorer be plugged into the IDA as a decoder, allowing the built in Sabre DAC to still work ?. I would also assume if the IDA is being fed via computer, the MQA decoding could be handled by software. I really just don't have any idea what is possible.

Bruce
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2015, 07:41 pm by bh46118 »

bh46118

It's probably too early for me to even mention MQA, I just find the Robert Harley article to be very interesting. As for the here and now, don't hesitate to buy an IDA-16. I wouldn't sell mine today for what I paid for it.

bh46118

For those who don't receive The Absolute Sound, here you go. http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/nuprime-ida-16-integrated-amplifierdac/

alligatorman

It's probably too early for me to even mention MQA, I just find the Robert Harley article to be very interesting. As for the here and now, don't hesitate to buy an IDA-16. I wouldn't sell mine today for what I paid for it.

From what I've been reading, it looks like MQA will be decoded from software, or apps, so no need to buy a separate DAC. Just bought an IDA-16 based on this info.