Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Rod_S

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1160 on: 8 Oct 2015, 01:44 am »
Its the artist view in manic moose media player, it organizes your music by artist

Thanks

I followed the instructions above I.e. Click the gear icon then enable Bryston DB, I clicked save and then reset DB. A message displays saying the DB will be rebuilt on next load. Not sure what that means so I forced a reboot, that didn't enable the Artist view so I power cycled the unit but still no go. I must be missing something simple.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1161 on: 8 Oct 2015, 02:24 am »
after clicking the reset db button the BDP begins to take the MPD database and creates a second copy in the form of an sqlite database along with creating cover art optimized for the web interface.  While this is going on the BDP will report the percentage completed from the artist view page.  Something may have occurred when the BDP was forced off, you should review the video linked below and if you still continue to experience problems you should place the bdp into service mode and email me the service id.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/Videos/BOSS/BOSS%20Intro.html
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/Videos/BOSS/BOSS%20Intro.mov

artist view is covered at the 32 minute mark

Cheers,
Chris

Rod_S

« Reply #1162 on: 8 Oct 2015, 11:06 am »
Thanks Chris, I'll give it another try, I would have definitely performed the reboot well before it would have had a chance to finish.

Marius

« Reply #1163 on: 8 Oct 2015, 11:25 am »
i thought you were referring to why the song path might not be displaying in the song info window.  Unfortunately that issue is due to making the interface as cross browser friendly as possible.  It could be resolved, but at the cost of breaking IE compatibility on the page; admittedly its been quite some time since we last looked at the issue.

No Chris,

I was referring to https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/Videos/BOSS/BOSS%20Intro.mov 35.52. scrolling the album pane, takes along the artist pane. It shouldn't i think?

Thanks,
Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #1164 on: 8 Oct 2015, 12:20 pm »
after clicking the reset db button the BDP begins to take the MPD database and creates a second copy in the form of an sqlite database along with creating cover art optimized for the web interface.  While this is going on the BDP will report the percentage completed from the artist view page.  Something may have occurred when the BDP was forced off, you should review the video linked below and if you still continue to experience problems you should place the bdp into service mode and email me the service id.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/Videos/BOSS/BOSS%20Intro.html
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/Videos/BOSS/BOSS%20Intro.mov

artist view is covered at the 32 minute mark

Cheers,
Chris

So I got it to work, thanks. It wasn't doing the build after clicking Update DB but rather only after I re-clicked on Artist View so that was a bit different than the instructions. 

Something I just noticed though, once the DB was rebuilt and I was done playing/browsing I went to take a look at my NAS folders and when I went back the Artist view was gone and once again said it was disabled and would have to be setup again. Is this normal? Shouldn't it retain this view once built?

Rod_S

« Reply #1165 on: 8 Oct 2015, 12:46 pm »
Is this normal after enabling Reset DB and re-clicking Artist View?

Rod_S

« Reply #1166 on: 8 Oct 2015, 12:55 pm »
Never mind, I got it to work again, had to click Update this time.

I decided to enable show song resolution this time, where is that supposed to show up? For some albums I have them in ripped CD as flac, mp3 and high res as flac and in Artist view I can't tell which is which until I actually load the song, I was hoping it would appear in that view somehow along with the songs.

Marius

« Reply #1167 on: 8 Oct 2015, 02:21 pm »
Chris,

Im trying the squeezebox functionality and the Squeezebox iOS app.

Squeezeslave won't stick in settings. I can select it and start/stop, it briefly turns on but  then quickly turns off again.
Squeezelite will stay on, but the app won't see it.
I don't have a logitech squeezebox, but was led to believe the services emulate this on the local network ?

would i have to deselect any of the other services (dlna, shairplay) , for memory sake?
Cheers,
Marius

MoPac

« Reply #1168 on: 8 Oct 2015, 03:44 pm »
  VKLYUSHNIKOV said:
  • It lacks display of sampling rate and bit depth
  • It is not updated since January 2014. I consider such state as unsupported and don't know what may happen with it in the future.
I agree with the above two.  Chris explained the Playlist adding issue well.  I actually think this is one of the best Playlist management workings I've seen on any controller.  Lots of options where to put the added track(s).  Only problem is the playlist has to be saved in MM for the additions to hold.
  Thanks for your list.  It shows there are different functionality wishes for each user.
      Rich

Rod_S

« Reply #1169 on: 8 Oct 2015, 05:33 pm »
I've also noticed the search feature not working all of the time.

For example I typed artist joe satriani and it found everything. I then typed artist steve vai and nothing was returned so I tried artist vai and all the steve vai files showed. Even more odd when typing artist lacuna coil nothing came back so I tried artist lacuna, still nothing returned, then I tried artist coil, again nothing. So I tried album Broken and before I could type the 2nd word in the album title all the Lacuna Coil Broken Crown Halo album songs were found.

Something else I noticed was once the Artist view DB was loaded, when I went back to default view and clicked on the Artist folder and started browsing through the selections not all of my albums were appearing for each artist.

Rod_S

« Reply #1170 on: 8 Oct 2015, 05:35 pm »
I forgot about using quotes when there is more than one word when searching, hopefully that's all I needed. I'll try again this evening.

BigGeek

« Reply #1171 on: 9 Oct 2015, 03:23 am »
Hi Chris:
Am i the only user with a bdp-1 and the latest build (2.18) who cannot get the genres and album names for most of my music to work correctly? Song names and artist tags are read better but there are still errors in artist names and album artists from my wave files (all of my music is in wav except for a handful of mp3's) but for many builds now mm will not show the genres for most music nor will it properly show album names. It's a total mess. I have done every conceivable thing to get it to update, including update at reboot and enabling the database And restarts.
At one time mm was reading my genres but adding song name tags made it read genres from a very small subset of songs. Similar behavior in the album names is now shoeing up. I use mpad because of this mess but the genre issue carries over to that too. Album names come from my folder structure there ( i think) so i don't have issues with that.. mm is unusable for me. Any help would be appreciated.
Richard

Marius

« Reply #1172 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:02 pm »
No you're not..

But Chris is working with every feedback you can give him, and making progress with every build.

Only last week was i able to see some of the album art for the first time since MM. Saw only a small fraction of my library, and then not all was correct. But it was a major step forward, from seeing nothing at all.

Had to re-sort and rebuild because of checking Album Artist instead of Artist, and am back to where i was before: no album art at all, and building seems to get stuck again...
So, give Chris your feedback, and he and we all will take advantage of that.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Chris:
Am i the only user with a bdp-1 and the latest build (2.18) who cannot get the genres and album names for most of my music to work correctly? Song names and artist tags are read better but there are still errors in artist names and album artists from my wave files (all of my music is in wav except for a handful of mp3's) but for many builds now mm will not show the genres for most music nor will it properly show album names. It's a total mess. I have done every conceivable thing to get it to update, including update at reboot and enabling the database And restarts.
At one time mm was reading my genres but adding song name tags made it read genres from a very small subset of songs. Similar behavior in the album names is now shoeing up. I use mpad because of this mess but the genre issue carries over to that too. Album names come from my folder structure there ( i think) so i don't have issues with that.. mm is unusable for me. Any help would be appreciated.
Richard

Marius

« Reply #1173 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:09 pm »
Chris,
2 questions please:

-the album art seems to be case sensitive, which i hope you can take out. cover.jpg and Back.jpg in the folder shows only cover.jpg, while cover.jpg and back.jpg shows them both, clicking on the album art.

- im trying to add a share for some nested folders on my NAS Synology. All genres are sorted under a shared folder Mp3. In MM, i won't get the box where one can select a subfolder. I thought that a shared folder would also share its nested folders, but apparently that doesn't work? I cant select these folders in the Synology software to share separately since apparently shared nested folders aren't allowed. Please tell me if this is expected behavior. If not , what to do to solve this? I could of course upgrade all nested folders to root folders, but that would destruct my full library logic. Id rather not, if not necessary.

in MM am able to select the main share, but clicking the NEXT button does nothing.

see how Plex does this easily:

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1174 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:11 pm »
Hi Chris:
Richard

Hi Richard,

If you could place the BDP into service mode and email me the service id I'll be able to take a look at the system.  If your library is wav though, this is likley the issue as wav has no defined way of implementing tag/meta data.

Cheers
Chris

Rod_S

« Reply #1175 on: 9 Oct 2015, 04:42 pm »
I forgot about using quotes when there is more than one word when searching, hopefully that's all I needed. I'll try again this evening.

Just an update, so adding the quotes helped somewhat, "steve vai" worked  but "lacuna coil" still did not.

I also noticed that in the scenarios where I have 3 versions of the same ablum, 16/44.1 flac, 24/94 flac and mp3 I was only seeing 2 albums in Artist View and also in the default view when going through the Artist or Artist Album folders. I was seeing my CD album and then an undisclosed 2nd one :).

As I looked at the 2nd one I could see that there were 2 of each song, I assume one was the 24/96 and the other was the mp3. The song numbering was weird as well, it went 001, 002, 003, etc. plus the song name. I looked at the tag info and noticed that my CD album had (CD) at the end of the album name field but both the mp3 and 24/96 albums were tagged the same and simply had the album name. I then went and put (mp3) at the end of the album name tag field for the mp3 album and could see that the database was updating so now in theory each album is unique via the album name tag. When I went back to look I still could only see 2 versions of the album, the CD album as before plus the 2nd. The doubling of the songs was gone but there was no 3rd album showing anywhere in the list. I also noticed that the songs were all still numbered 001, 002 , 003 plus the respective song name rather than simply 1, 2, 3 etc. or no number at all. I would have thought that would have corrected itself but it looks like the database is still confused.

I re-enabled update database and it did, very quickly so I'm wondering is there a way to force it to completely rebuild from scratch, maybe that might fix the oddities I'm seeing.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1176 on: 9 Oct 2015, 05:28 pm »
Just an update, so adding the quotes helped somewhat, "steve vai" worked  but "lacuna coil" still did not.

I also noticed that in the scenarios where I have 3 versions of the same ablum, 16/44.1 flac, 24/94 flac and mp3 I was only seeing 2 albums in Artist View and also in the default view when going through the Artist or Artist Album folders. I was seeing my CD album and then an undisclosed 2nd one :).

As I looked at the 2nd one I could see that there were 2 of each song, I assume one was the 24/96 and the other was the mp3. The song numbering was weird as well, it went 001, 002, 003, etc. plus the song name. I looked at the tag info and noticed that my CD album had (CD) at the end of the album name field but both the mp3 and 24/96 albums were tagged the same and simply had the album name. I then went and put (mp3) at the end of the album name tag field for the mp3 album and could see that the database was updating so now in theory each album is unique via the album name tag. When I went back to look I still could only see 2 versions of the album, the CD album as before plus the 2nd. The doubling of the songs was gone but there was no 3rd album showing anywhere in the list. I also noticed that the songs were all still numbered 001, 002 , 003 plus the respective song name rather than simply 1, 2, 3 etc. or no number at all. I would have thought that would have corrected itself but it looks like the database is still confused.

I re-enabled update database and it did, very quickly so I'm wondering is there a way to force it to completely rebuild from scratch, maybe that might fix the oddities I'm seeing.

If you want to force a rebuild of the Artist View, simply use the "Reset DB" button found in media player, the MPD DB there is the clear cache button found in MPD Settings page

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1177 on: 9 Oct 2015, 05:36 pm »
Chris,
2 questions please:

-the album art seems to be case sensitive, which i hope you can take out. cover.jpg and Back.jpg in the folder shows only cover.jpg, while cover.jpg and back.jpg shows them both, clicking on the album art.

It shouldn't be case sensitive, it might be filesystem related (as i have only thoroughly tested it against fat32 and samba shares) or caused by older versions of the firmware.  The next build of the firmware will have the first revision of a new tool with the intention of assisting with cover art and tag data issues. 

I'm not quite following the second question.  If using the NAS Setup and you select a SMB share you can optionally select a sub folder.  The BDP will share these using its own samba sharing service, however if the BDP mounts the shares after it has already initialized the samba service you can can restart the samba service to force it to recreate share points.

Cheers,
Chris

Rod_S

« Reply #1178 on: 9 Oct 2015, 06:55 pm »
I played around for the 1st time last night with the Internet radio functionality. I must say, pretty slick. It's great having all that content available through the BDP. It's an excellent opportunity to check out different genres of music.

Marius

« Reply #1179 on: 9 Oct 2015, 07:44 pm »

Its just that i can't optionally select a subfolder. It isn't presented as an option in the extra dropdown box as shown in your video.

I'm not quite following the second question.  If using the NAS Setup and you select a SMB share you can optionally select a sub folder.  The BDP will share these using its own samba sharing service, however if the BDP mounts the shares after it has already initialized the samba service you can can restart the samba service to force it to recreate share points.

Cheers,
Chris