NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!
« Reply #20 on: 17 Aug 2009, 12:36 am »
What makes you say they are real NXT speakers? There have been many other drivers/speakers designed along similar lines over the last 35 years at least, to my knowledge.
I mean the Podiums are NXT panels really.  By the pictures I see they are not ribbons, electrostatics or magneplanar.
I fell the sound should be very good.
Regards.

panomaniac

« Reply #21 on: 17 Aug 2009, 12:47 am »
I'd be curious to hear how it would sound to make horizontal cuts across the diaphragm to create 7 independent panels in very close proximity,

An NXT line array?  Hmmmmm........

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #22 on: 17 Aug 2009, 01:14 am »

I mean the Podiums are NXT panels really.  By the pictures I see they are not ribbons, electrostatics or magneplanar.
I fell the sound should be very good.
Regards.
what I mean is that all that differentiates NXT from a dozen others is the specific line of what might be called "hype" they use in explaining the virtues of their particular units.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 17 Aug 2009, 02:01 am »
what I mean is that all that differentiates NXT from a dozen others is the specific line of what might be called "hype" they use in explaining the virtues of their particular units.
English is not my native language, but I think you mean hype as a strong, big propaganda ou marketing that may be true or not.
If hype is it, Iam all ears in this case, as I can not say my opinion for a complete lack of information of my part about the merit of the NXT panel,
but I know they (Verity Group) have earned a new patent from the UK patent office. (Errata: Seems the patent is owned by the English Defense Department or something around it).

Do you think this NXT technology is not new ? (From the 90's years). If yes, please inform us, as Iam concerned about this panel, as it use very few meterials(wood, no stuffing etc) and space and mainly the carpenter work is very small and simple, (here the carpenters are people of a less than brilliant intellect).
Regards.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #24 on: 17 Aug 2009, 06:07 am »
I think the merits of the NXT panels can best be judged by listening to them, not by reading what the designers say to set them apart from all other designs known to man, nor even by charts and measurements.

It seems that, if I read the NXT director of marketing, Jon Visor correctly, the panel operates in extreme chaos:
"this chaotic mass of crossing bending waves that form the modes that produce the music"
- quote taken from this article in Popular Mechanics:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/audio/1279551.html?page=2

I just don't think there is much hard science behind this. I imagine the engineers behind NXT took some standard speaker motors (magnet, pole piece, bottom and top plate, cylindrical voice coil and normal spider) and tried it on a variety of likely panels until they found a combination that sounded reasonable and then dreamed up some technical-sounding justification for a patent so that anyone else doing something similar would have to pay rights. I don't ever remember anyone commenting very favorably about the sound quality.

Having said all that, it would be fun to buy a few of these exciters and play around trying different panels of various materials, shapes and sizes. I'm visiting zygadr's PIEZO NXT TYPE PANEL thread over at diyAudio forums.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #25 on: 17 Aug 2009, 07:13 am »
zygadr, why do you recommend Dayton exciters as having more bass - have you experimented with others? I haven't had time to read through the whole thread on diyAudio yet.

j gale

« Reply #26 on: 17 Aug 2009, 02:56 pm »
Hi zygadr,  I have followed this with interest since the thread started here. I ordered some of the cheap exciters from parts express and found a supplier for gatorfoam. I'm going to try with one sheet (2 foot width by similar height to yours). I gather that method of frame mounting remains a problem. Podium appears to mount theirs at 4 points(2 each side) Thank you for your work on this and sharing it. Jim

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 17 Aug 2009, 05:47 pm »
Thankyou ZYGADR for the weight info.  Gustavo

rhing

« Reply #28 on: 20 Aug 2009, 12:21 am »
zygadr,

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience on building a reasonably priced planar speaker system. I have placed an order for the white plastic encased exciters that are selling for $5.00 USD per pair. I do have some questions for you:

• I know you mentioned that a resistor will need to be removed. Should the capacitor be removed as well?
  • I am planning to use six exciters per panel as you have. How many exciters are wired in series and parallel?
  • Can you supply a basic diagram or schematic of the wiring arrangement?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

rhing

« Reply #29 on: 20 Aug 2009, 12:47 pm »
Thanks zygadr for the information. I am planning to use my Virtue Two Class D amp. I have a 130W 30V SMPS for the amp, so it should have ample power to drive a 4-8 ohm speaker system. I currently have a pair of Fostex FX120 drivers mounted in Jordon bass reflex cabinets, and it sounds like these planar speakers have a sound quality similar to a crossover-less, single driver speaker system.

Like you I am also using a Playstation 1 that I modded myself, so I may want to ask you later about using tranformers on the output stage as you did. I saw your posts over at diyAudio about your Playstation mods and they sound interesting.

« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2009, 12:34 pm by rhing »

j gale

« Reply #30 on: 21 Aug 2009, 12:03 am »
Hi zygadr,  Just wondering about the spacing of the exciters. Did you just experiment or adopt podium's spacing? Can you say more about how you chose it, and if by experiment, how much difference changing the spacing made? Also as you added exciters was there any change in sound other than an increase in volume?   Jim

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 22 Aug 2009, 05:21 am »
I found this Link:  http://www.tymphany.com/exciters  have some instructions to mounting, glueing, etc... This company has to do with the Peerless. They made a 26mm exceter. Topic 2 said the ''Lifetime is 8'' what is this?  8 years??

Dear Zygadr,
What is the brand or maker of the PODIUM exciters?  Where it is sold? 
Thankyou again,  Gustavo

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 22 Aug 2009, 07:00 pm »
Thankyou Zygadr you are great. Iam afraid Podium Site people will send me swim at the Tamisa river if I ask who is the maker of his exciters.
I found a chinese maker: http://Http://www.jmaxx.cn  only small stuff, the best have 10W
Regards, Gustavo

Angaria

« Reply #34 on: 23 Aug 2009, 05:15 am »
fairly detailed patent promoting various edge damping on dml's  http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6826285/description.html

As I read further, a persistent question in my mind is what material qualities lead to a good dml transducer?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 23 Aug 2009, 05:21 am »
As I read further, a persistent question in my mind is what material qualities lead to a good dml transducer?
According earlier on this thread: Alot of exciters and a panel big, light and hard.
Regards.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 24 Aug 2009, 01:32 am »
This is the link I got from NXT :http://en.billionsound.com.
Look under'' PRODUCTS'' and you will see a picture of a yellow exciter on the right. Click on that to see the range.
Woww  Looks a better exciter than the Dayton, at least by the photo and by the specs: 15Wrms, neodymium, 30mm Dia. 4 ohms  huummm...
Wonder what could be the price of this beauties?
Thanks again Zygadr.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 24 Aug 2009, 03:14 am »
BillionSound Site newly reported:  Our exciter can just sell to the Lincensee of NXT. If you need to know any about the application of NXT flat panel speaker...
Mishap here.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #38 on: 24 Aug 2009, 06:11 am »

This is the link I got from NXT :http://en.billionsound.com.
Look under'' PRODUCTS'' and you will see a picture of a yellow exciter on the right. Click on that to see the range.

This link doesn't work for me.

j gale

« Reply #39 on: 24 Aug 2009, 03:03 pm »
Hi zygadr,  Have you got your panels mounted in a frame? I worry about the magic being killed if mounting is incorrect.