Finishing my basement. Your advice, please.

Mike D

« on: 11 Apr 2004, 05:07 pm »
I plan to use my tax refund to pay or help pay for finishing my basement.  Step one (I think) will be the walls for insulation.  Step two will be the ceiling.  And step three will be the carpeting.  

Can any of you gentlemen recommend a good person or company to call to have this done?  I live 30 to 45 minutes northeast of downtown.

Should I just get my buddies together and do it myself or will it be something I can mess up?  I'm pretty good with my hands (or so she tells me), but I've never done basement walls/ceiling.  

Any recommendations, comments, advice, opinions, or ressources to learn more?

By the way, when trying to decide what I was going to spend my tax money on, it came down to three choices: the start of a fence for the back yard, a start on finishing the basement, or a pair of 2 meter XLR Harmonic Tech Magic interconnects!  Holy Crap that damn audio monkey is scratching away at my back!!!

Thanks,
mike

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2004, 06:41 pm »
Mike,

I would suggest trying to learn what you need to to do it yourself.  Your budget will go a lot further and you can obtain a really satisfying room.  There is a lot of info on the net about turning basements into HT rooms or music rooms.  Take your time and make it a fun affair.

My thoughts would be to make the walls out of bass traps like a website I saw recently.  I'll see if I can find that.   The ceiling depends on the height but you can drop ceiling tiles and put some dense insulation above the tile for good isolation.  I don't know what would be best for the concrete floor, whether carpet would work well or what, maybe someone else could chime in on that.  

Josh