Tube Amp Shoot Out

bmed

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #20 on: 12 Apr 2004, 11:09 pm »
Hi guys,

Afraid I can't make it Friday night, family in town.  I'd love to get a chance for you guys to hear the Cary Rocket's.  Hopefully next time!

Brad

drummerwill

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #21 on: 13 Apr 2004, 12:58 am »
Sturgus

So are we going to listen to Analog and Digital sources. I'd like to bring along my modded Toshiba 3960, to get opinions.
   Also directions for friday.
   Have  :D
     Willie

Mathew_M

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #22 on: 13 Apr 2004, 02:30 am »
Looks like I probably won't be able to make it friday either. :roll:

Willie, I've read good things about the synergy between the Toshiba and the Panny XR25/45.

DeadFish

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #23 on: 13 Apr 2004, 04:09 am »
I have intention of making it and blowing off work.
Hey guys, if I can get away with it, wtf.  
(the joys of temp work!)
Yer *worth* $7/hr, believe me!  :wink:
Gonna need an address to Mapquest, if you will though.
Anybody want me to bring those devilled eggs I made for last time?
They are in the bottom of the fridge still and certainly have gone to hell!
 :D
(I couldn't help myself...)
Anything else I can bring?

Regards,
DF

sturgus

Directions
« Reply #24 on: 13 Apr 2004, 05:01 am »
I emailed everyone directions. Let me know if you didn't get them
Sturgus

Scott F.

Re: Directions
« Reply #25 on: 13 Apr 2004, 04:09 pm »
Quote from: sturgus
I emailed everyone directions. Let me know if you didn't get them
Sturgus

Hey Sturgus,

Would you re-email the directions to me? I didn't recieve them and can't find my old ones.

Thanks

DeadFish

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #26 on: 13 Apr 2004, 04:24 pm »
Ayup, Sturgus,

Me too.  Maybe my spamwatch stuff got it.
Sorry.

DF

Mathew_M

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #27 on: 17 Apr 2004, 11:18 pm »
So how'd things go?  Who all showed?  Details guys  :)

DeadFish

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #28 on: 18 Apr 2004, 03:13 am »
Well, Mathew, I'm not much of a 'detail' guy, but more into the 'gestault'.
For the most part, we all had a most excellent time.
I got my first big primer on 'tubes', watching Sturgus, Steve, Scott and Willie working their magics between the Radii, VTL, and Aranov amps.
Hey guys, chime in if I'm getting this wrong, I forgot my notebook again.
Swapping tubes and listening to the esoteric banter of true mystics of their realm, as far as I was concerned.
And letting me hear some familiar music in a WAY different way from my solid state stuff.
(I don't think I get to use the expletives here I voiced at the time! They might have preserved my quote though...)
Needless to say, I think I got a 'bug up my butt' from it all that surely is gonna cost me some money again.
Sturgus was an excellent host, and his music room quite enviable, with more gear to play with than a man ought to be allowed to have.
His Merlins just really 'did the job' on holding up their end of the bargain, and the imaging for me, fleshed out in 3 dimensions was breathtaking, on music that *already* had taken my breath away many times!
Like I said, I'm pretty bare-assed ignorant 'bout tube-stuff to give educated details and info, but in a term "Most Excellent!", from sound to experience, to companionship!

On a related note, I am hesitant to mention but another good side was that Willie's 'Locomotive' stayed home with his drum kits and nobody was hurt when Willie's car left early without him.
 :x
I'm sure you all join with me in empathy to Willie with  an experience that 'keeps-on-giving', coping with the rape on one's personal goods from their grip.

I won't grind on this point, but it was an anticlimax to an otherwise excellent evening.   And we STILL didn't have enough time!

Regards,
DeadFish

steve k

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #29 on: 18 Apr 2004, 06:02 am »
I couldn't have said it better than Deadfish. He's definitely the poet of the group. We all had a great time, with great food and hospitality provided by Sturgus. I always love these meets because I get turned on to great new music, thanks again Deadfish for making the day with your "Heritage" CD. After all, the gear is fun but it's the music--right guys?  :D

As for Willie, our hearts go out to you, dude. What a sad way to end a great day! I hope things worked out OK and they found your wheels. Pics are up now...
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=287

steve

Scott F.

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #30 on: 18 Apr 2004, 03:50 pm »
Nice job of the pics Steve.
Sturgus, thanks for the always gracious hospitality.

It was a great time. Lots of laughs and tons of great music. Wille, I hope they find your car (unscathed).

A little more about the amps. Needless to say Sturgus' Aronovs cleaned our collective EL34's clocks. But thats like comparing a Ford to a Ferrari. Even though the EL's 34's are Shelby Cobra, they're not quite in the same league.

It was interesting swapping the output tubes in the EL34's. Even with the substiututions of just a single output tube Steves VTL's took on the flavor of the Radii sound. Compared to Svetlana's the JJ's ahd a bit more bass and were definately more forward sounding. The JJ's had something a little 'hard' going on in the upper end too. The Svet's are definately a smoother sounding tube. Oh well, there goes some more money.

Yesterday I took care of my noisey driver tube, installing the Mullards (I should have done that earlier).

Bottom line, Sturgus' set up (AR, Aronovs, CAL DAC, etc.) was the clear winner. Loads of detail and control. Lots of dynamics.
Great sounds.... and great company, one and all.

Hey Bill, I was serious about bringing my 2a3 and a tubed pre over to plug into your Altec A19's. Get your Planet fixed and the Altecs set up in your spare room (or your front porch) and we can let your neighborhood what good sound is all about. Hopefully Willie can make it too.

Don't you dare sell those things without calling me and Wille first!

sturgus

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #31 on: 19 Apr 2004, 02:08 am »
I am glad you guys were able to make it. I had a really good time just jamming. It just seems that 5 or 6 hrs is not enough time. Hearing the different sounds of tubes always amazes me. For some strange reason you just can't swap transistors that easy  :lol:  . Bill I hope you enjoyed the show. I will see if I can find that Heritage cd on my days off.  As for the EL 34 amps I love the sound of them ( musical ). I will be looking for one in the near future. Willie I am really sorry about the ride hope everything works out alright. Once again guys thanks for coming.
Sturgus

DeadFish

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #32 on: 19 Apr 2004, 05:15 am »
Yessirs, gentlemen, I had a superb evening of listnin'!
("Gimme More, Seymour!") :mrgreen:
I don't think I have fully come to grips with the emotional aspects of
"Everything You Know Is Wrong"... :lol:
I am really pleased y'all liked Anger's "Heritage" cd.  Always nice to bring 'party favors' that tickle the crowd.

I don't know where to begin with my rig now, thanks to you guys!
Tore it all apart today and threw it in the front yard.

No I didn't.
Actually...
*There be Altec's in the House!*
I *did* take my rig apart, put up my trusty hifi rack again that has been gone for almost 2 years, and put some pieces back hooked up to the dedicated circuit.  After listening to the reaction I was hoping for with your opinions of the Altec 19's, I had to give them a listen.
It was 'barebones' with the Bryston B-60 and a REAL crappy cd-changer at first. (honest I DID almost toss that one in the yard!)
Then moved to the Toshiba DVD player/Theta DSPro Basic IIIa combo, and it improved.  It tore my soul, but the only wires I had to fit the speakers were some Monster things I had to hack some connections for.

Well, so far, I'm pleased, and so is the kid across the street!

FOr the underinformed, I let the guys know friday nite I had found a bargain with an old pair of Altec Lansing 19 studio monitors a fella had in a heap of trash he was going to let get repossessed  with his house!
He was going to let another guy HAVE them for free, unless he didn't want them.  
He told me this 3 times, and then I stuffed $$ in his hands and then he said "Enjoy your speakers!"
My kid, my wife, and my best friend thought me nuts lugging these monsters home, but I knew better!  Heavy enough to JUST make it in the front door and sitting there for a week, they continued in their 'doubts'.
I had the house to myself today, and just enough piss'n'vinegar to make things happen.
When my wife got home, I was sitting in a lawn chair out by the street, grinning like  a racoon with a full trash can!
They sounded REAL fine, through the couch and the house walls!
I'll embellish more tomorrow when I don't have to give up sleep on my 'first listen'.  It was too much fun to keep to myself.
Thanks for being supportive guys, and by all means, thanks for getting my real 'cherry' on them tubes.  
"Tu-be, or not tu-be?" is not really much of a question anymore...

Regards,
DeadFish

drummerwill

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #33 on: 20 Apr 2004, 01:09 pm »
Yo Guys
     Thanks for a good time with great people and tunes. I heard music that
  really has stuck with me since friday.
      Strugus, I am now a Casandra Wilson fan, thanks for turning me on!
  Your setup has incredible life to it's sound !. Being a low watt fan it, was a reall eye opener to hear a nice power watt tube system, I loved every minute of it.
      Don't fret the car thing, no sight of it yet. But my rental is a new Altima, not a bad ride.
     Deadfish I love your writings, you get my vote as the group's reporter!
   Thanks again guys for a great time!
     Willie

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #34 on: 21 Apr 2004, 06:32 am »
Hello sturgus,
    I noticed in your system profile you have an ARC preamp modded by Musical Concepts. Could you tell me what improvements you heard after the mod ? I've got an ARC SP-9mkII that I've had for awhile and I'm looking to update it. Thanks for a reply !! :) [/list:u]

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #35 on: 26 Apr 2004, 11:18 pm »
Hey guys,
  If you ever have another amp shootout (or just another gathering), I have the first Signature SE502S up and running. This is rather expensive in comparison with a stock Jolida unit (a hair under $2k) and I figure the best way to get any justification is to get some honest feedback from a group of people that would provide me with nothing less.

Details on the Signature/Reference products and Extreme modifications are to be released shortly, middle of May I am hoping,  and from there I may be able to send somethng along for your next gathering.

The first public release of these Extreme modifications will be in Chris VenHaus' ASL Hurricane 200DT mono bloc amplifiers that should be finished shortly.

sturgus

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #36 on: 27 Apr 2004, 01:58 am »
Bill,
I think a session will be coming up in the next month or so. Will have to quiz the rest of the Gang on a date. We would love to hear the Jolida. I think Steve K. has been trying to convince a friend of his to get one. Since starting these sessions a few guys have been intrduced to tubes. The response has been quite good. The good thing about having a club is the exposure to lots of equipment you would only read about before. Will keep you posted on the upcoming events.

Sturgus

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #37 on: 27 Apr 2004, 02:08 am »
Thanks for the update Sturgus,

My main goal on having you guys listen to the new Signature Series is purley for honest feedback.

Hopefully I will have a piece available at the time of your next session or I could send you my personal piece (as long as you can handle a Metalic Blue amp).

Another option if the Jolida was not ready is a Special Edition Ming-Da EL84 amplifier if there will be any higher effeciency speakers around. These amps are being developed around the Omega line but would obviously work with a variety of others. Again, looking for honest feedback.

It's nice to have a group like GAS around for Beta testing. It give me the oppurtunity to get more opinions and also gives you guys exposure to lots of gear that you would only read about.

Mathew_M

Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #38 on: 27 Apr 2004, 03:55 am »
I'd definately like to hear an EL84 amp.  What's the wattage on it?  

Which Jolida model are you guys talking about?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Tube Amp Shoot Out
« Reply #39 on: 6 May 2004, 01:58 am »
I'd definately like to hear an EL84 amp. What's the wattage on it?

Which Jolida model are you guys talking about?

The EL84 amp in discussion was the Ming-Da MC84-A at 13 watts but these are being delayed a bit. The other one is the Special Edition Jolida 102B highly modified and available in triode for about 12 watts.

The Jolida amp as mentioned is either our new Signature or Reference SE502A with new upgraded power supply and full modifications. More info on these units can be found on my website.