Next GAS Meeting...SUNDAY MARCH 28th

steve k

« on: 11 Mar 2004, 03:04 pm »
Next GAS Meeting...

Any ideas on the next GAS Meeting? Maybe we should try to make it on a Sunday so Mike D and some others can make it?

Is anyone interested in hosting it?

Scott, any news on the Jolida gear? Maybe ResponseAudio can send us something too? Chris VenHaus has volunteered a set of his new IC's. As soon as I can give him a date, he'll get them to me a couple weeks early to burn them in.

Let us hear from you guys.
 :)
steve k.

Scott F.

« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2004, 04:11 pm »
As I understand from talking to Bill at Response, Mike at Jolida is backed up on orders so it may take a bit to recieve the JD1000.

Speaking of Bill, why don't you guys go to his site and look around. He's offered up most anything in his stock. I've still got the little Jolida integrated (RAM 301) that I use for the speaker shootout. Come to think of it, you guys haven't heard that one yet. I'll bring that to the next get together. You'll definately be impressed.

Sounds like the Radii Monoblocks are going to be showing back up in the next week or so. Like I told Wayne, I can't get their sound out of my head. So why fight the urge, I said just send 'em. You'll hear what I mean when they get here. Hey Marbles, how much do these go for? A couple hundred bucks I'd bet :lol:

As for the location, I'm up for anywhere. As always, mi casa es su casa.

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2004, 04:36 pm »
My vote is for Scott's place.  I can't wait to see his two sided listenning room.  Mark at Rogue said my amps will be done next week and shipped by the 22nd.  I'll be returning from Disney in the AM of the 22nd to be greated by new amps hopefully.  I was dreaming about them last night....  solid silver Harmonic Tech internal wiring and gold tube sockets.....   mmmmmmm.  They will have all of the Magnum upgrades plus the new circuitry for manual bias with leads to 20% more wattage/control of my Hales.

How about March 28th?  My amps won't be broken in, but I'd bring them anyway.  Take a look at my system and let me know if I should bring anything else.  

Saturday the 27th would be my second vote.

mike

steve k

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2004, 05:04 pm »
March 28th works for me, wherever we go. Better than the 27th. Mike, make sure you clean your drool off the Rogues before you haul them out. :lol: I'm anxious to hear them, I've never heard the Rogues but my final decision on amps came down to VTL's or Rogues for bang for buck factor. Why don't  you bring the Hales too?

Just kidding. :wink:

steve k

vpolineni

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2004, 05:18 pm »
i'd prefer march 27th.. but march 28th will work too.  I would host...but I doubt any of you want to drive to columbia  :lol: .

DeadFish

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2004, 07:05 pm »
Howdy folks,

Weekends work for me, and I'm fool enough to drive most anywhere.
Would love to make it next time.

DeadFish

sturgus

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2004, 12:24 am »
I can do Sat. or Sun. but it will be around six before I can be there. If you think it will still be going strong count me in. Oh by the way who will be hosting?
Sturgus

Mathew_M

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2004, 02:30 am »
Any time Sunday is best for me.  I work a lot of Saturdays but might be able to make it in the evening.  I really, really want to hear those Radii monoblocks.  I would even be willing to bring my VMPS 626R's if anyone wants to hear them.  I also have the Griffin Powerwave if anyone wants to hear how good a little 10 watt tripath amp sounds.  Some else will need to bring the high efficiency speakers though.  My little Apple Pro speakers probably won't cut it for group listening purposes.

vpolineni

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2004, 02:37 am »
scott has efficient speakers... i'd like to hear that with the powerwave.. if you can, bring your 626r's.. i've always wanted to hear them.  I can't do it if it's sunday evening.. saturday evening would be best for me.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2004, 08:46 pm »
Greetings all,
    As mentioned, I would have no problem sending you guys something to audition. I do have the JD100 in stock but do not have a piece that is broken in yet. If Mike can't get one outin time, by all means, let me know.

I also have the new JD707 integrated using the 6P3P output tube if you guys are interested in auditioning this newest addition. I won't even go into to details on the sounds as I feel this is best left up to all of you.

I really wanted to send up a pair of the new highly modified ASL AV-20 mono blocs but I am out of finsihed units at the moment and just sold my last finished pair yesterday.

Maybe Scott can bring along a pair of the Clarity Labs Foxfire interconnects??

Lastly, I am sending Scott a pair of Usher X-708 standmount speakers. These are the least expensive of the line at $900 retail. More info on my site. Maybe these can be amoung one of your forthcoming listening sessions.

You know how to get ahold of me!!

DeadFish

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2004, 09:20 pm »
Damned supportive of you, Bill!

Thanks for being that way!

DF

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2004, 09:43 pm »
My only regret is that I can't be there. I know there is a lot of good gear out there that is not part of my smaller lineup. Being there would allow me to also join in the fun and hear products I normally would not have a chance to audition.
  I honestly feel the products in my line are good audio values but not the only ones on the market.
  I can only add to your list of products to "play with" and know that honest feedback is a sure thing. Good or bad, I never take offense to negative feedback about a product if done in a tasteful manner. There are products out there I don't personally care for but this does not mean it is a lesser product or the next guy won't find it the cat's ass. I am sure this is how it is in all your listening sessions with not everyone having the same opinion about the gear in question??

steve k

« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2004, 10:13 pm »
Mighty nice of you Bill. We wish you could be hear too!! BTW, the gang all heard your Clarity Harvests and Emberglows at our last meet (in my system). I failed to mention that to them. Thanks for your support.
steve k

Scott F.

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2004, 02:13 pm »
Hi Guys,

If you all want to do it at my place I'm up for it.

Sounds like we've got a ton of gear that could be showing up. Matt, I've got Lowther PM2As in the Medallion cabinets and a pair of 15" Goodman dual concentric (104db) so your little tripath should drive either of those pretty darned well. Maybe Wille can bring back his PP 45?

On the opposite end of my listening room is my other system. By gathering time I should have the Radii's monoblocks back (wait till you here them). I finished cutting all of the wood for my corner subs for that end of the room. They ended up being 3cf. I'm using the basement walls and floor (concrete) as part of the enclosure. The only wood is the front baffle and triangular top. Of course I'm stuffing them with the Shivas and driving them with 500 watts of SS power (actively crossed over with the Pioneer SF750). They won't go as deep as the 9.75 cf enclosures some of you heard but they should do 20-25Hz (in room) without much trouble.

Hopefully Bill can send the Ushers before the meet. These will be part of the shootout over at the site. I'm interested to hear them. Hey Bill, are these the stock versions or your modified Ushers?

Matt, as for your VMPS 626's, I heard these (at least I think it was the 626's) behind the Radii's and it was damned impressive. If you want to bring them along, thats cool.

By the sounds of all of the gear showing up, we should probably start a bit early, maybe 12:00 or 1:00. Guessing, it could run well past 6-7. Sounds like it's time to clean the grill and do some Que'ing :D

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2004, 03:04 pm »
Hopefully Bill can send the Ushers before the meet. These will be part of the shootout over at the site. I'm interested to hear them. Hey Bill, are these the stock versions or your modified Ushers?

I will get them out this Tuesday. They are stock versions as I already have a pair of modified units out to ................let's just say someone else.

I had actually planned on getting these out much earlier but I have had a horrible chain of events lately with a good, young friend of the family passing away in a freak accident, a few family members in for major surgery causing a serious lack of working time. We were actually back at the hospital till 3am this moring with my father in law with further complications from surgery.

I only tell you guys this because I have promised a few circle members a few things such as tubes for the RAM Signature, tube for a RAM 301, speakers, etc. You all know who you are and my apologies go out to everyone.

Scott...the speakers will be on thier way. Let me know about the Jolida JD100. If you don't have time to burn it in, I will through it in my system for a few days.

What is your exact date.

steve k

« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2004, 04:02 pm »
WOW :!:
Is all I have to say. Thanks so much for your avid participation, Bill! I only wish your shop was closer. Hope everything is going well for your friends and family.
steve k

steve k

« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2004, 04:06 pm »
So Scott,

Seeing no other volunteers, it looks like youdaman!

Which day works good for you? From the looks of it, we're going to have to take notes on this one! You may need a room addition for all the equipment that's rolling in :lol: Let us know what you want us to bring. I vote to hear Willie's black beauty again too!

steve k

Mathew_M

« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2004, 04:38 pm »
I also have the Jolida JD100 if you guys want to hear it.  It needs a tube upgrade though if anyone has a couple pair of good NOS 12ax7 lying around.

Again Sunday works best for me otherwise I probably can make it but it will be later in the evening.  I definately want to hear my VMPS with the Radii so lets at least hold things off until they arrive (and working considering what happened last time).

Scott do you have any speaker stands that will support the 626R's?  I've been using a dinky pair that get the job done but would probably be embarrased by what you guys think of them  :wink:

Scott F.

« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2004, 09:49 pm »
Sounds like Sunday the 28th works best for most people. With all the gear everyone wants to hear we may need to start fairly early (12 or 1) and just roll until whenever. I'll plan on doing a pile burgers, brats and sazista (spelling) mid-afternoon as munchies.

Matt, Got plenty of 12ax7's. We'll feed your JD100 some Tele's or Mullards and see how it sounds. As for speakers stands I've got plenty. I use the Stubby's, it's a solid stand and dead quiet. If those don't work I've got two other pair that should work.

Hopefully Wille can make it. If not I've got one of Willies other creations here. We'll call this one Frankenstein. It is a SET that plays 2a3's, 45's, 50's, 10's and a bunch of other cool tubes. Sturgus and I fell in love with the sound of the 50's.

Bills Ushers should make a good addition to the speaker collection. As it stands we should be able to do an ABC and a D speaker comparison. The Dyn 42's, my Odyssey Epiphony's, Bills Ushers and the Sekei BD1's. I'll get it set up so with my Adcom 4 way speaker switcher so at the push of a button it switches speakers. Lets not forget Matt 626's.

One thing, I may have to make some more speaker cables. I think I may run short on like pairs. I could fill in with some Monster stuff though in a pinch. If somebody wants. we could get together and crank out a couple or three pair while we listen to some Jams. Shouldn't take too long, in fact, while were at it we could make a pair for you (whomever steps up first :D ) Can you say silver plated copper with teflon and fully shielded MIL spec wire :wink:  :wink:

I'll leave the HT going and we can use the upstairs as overflow. You guys can experience Blue Man Group, The Complex. Don't expect too much out of my HT, remeber I'm really a two channel kinda guy.  It does make lots of loud crashes and booms though.

electricbear

next meeting
« Reply #19 on: 13 Mar 2004, 10:01 pm »
the 27th after 6pm ( I'll be at best sound all day) or the 28th will work. I might be able to bring along my new arc amp if it's fully run in by then.