Welcome to the Planar Circle/Manufacturer's Links

twitch54

Re: Welcome to the Planar Circle
« Reply #20 on: 10 Oct 2010, 01:13 am »
Thanks Steve, Long time Maggie and Martin Logan enthusiast, looking forward to some good dialouge !
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2010, 12:57 pm by twitch54 »

andyr

« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2010, 04:38 am »

hi Andy, how are your frankenpans working out for ya.
-Greg

Great, Greg - thanks for asking!   :D  Being able to isolate the (hardwood) frame holding the mid & ribbon from the bass frame produces a significant improvement, so I'm stoked.   :thumb:

Regards,

Andy

ajzepp

« Reply #22 on: 14 Oct 2010, 06:52 pm »
That's awesome if there are folks from the MUG/asylum participating in this forum...I owe a LOT to those folks for helping me learn as much about Maggies as I know, which subsequently has resulted in a very satisfying system :)  :thumb:

jk@home

« Reply #23 on: 15 Oct 2010, 12:04 am »
That's awesome if there are folks from the MUG/asylum participating in this forum...I owe a LOT to those folks for helping me learn as much about Maggies as I know, which subsequently has resulted in a very satisfying system :)  :thumb:

I snuck in a link to here inside a thread at the MUG, didn't want to make too big a deal about it.  8) I got a few folks attention.

(aka johnvb @ the mug)

Wayner

« Reply #24 on: 15 Oct 2010, 12:53 am »
Another MartinLogan owner here (reQuests) and very interested in what topics might pop up here. A couple of interests of mine is aiming and integrating a sub-woofer. Good luck for the new circle.

Wayner  :D

hatehifi

« Reply #25 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:52 am »
Hi Steve, hope I'm not too late to introduce myself here and say thanks for your commitment. I'm not a regular AC contributor (lencoheaven.net) but recently acquired a pair of pristine 3.5Rs w/3.6 ribbon upgrade (seller went on to Avantgarde Duos - to each their own).

FWIW, settling on Zu's Super Fly for my second system and think that with these two transducers I'll have the best 'compromises' to match my pocket book and taste. Oh, BTW, live in a smallish 2-room apartment and the Maggies sound just fine and are a statement to any visitor, really. Never owned a Maggie nor heard them more than maybe 3 hours total but my decision hit the bull's eye smack in the middle! Maybe also of interest (I do not listen too loud) is I drive them with the Crayon CFA-1/40 SS integrated and it was "oh happy day,"when I realised that it delivers enough current to put the 3.5/3.6 through its paces.

oboaudio

« Reply #26 on: 11 Feb 2011, 02:39 pm »

Great, Greg - thanks for asking!   :D  Being able to isolate the (hardwood) frame holding the mid & ribbon from the bass frame produces a significant improvement, so I'm stoked.   :thumb:

Regards,

Andy

This is my way of completely isolating the mids and highs (Martin Logan Summits (woofers disconnected).  The Magneplanar Tympani IV bass panels are next to but not touching the electrostatic elements.  The Maggies are also bolted together and to the floor and provide awesome bass to below 30 hz.

« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2011, 01:58 am by oboaudio »

Emsquare

« Reply #27 on: 1 May 2012, 09:51 pm »
Hi Folks... and Steve Ford,

How's the water? Room for one more?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #28 on: 2 May 2012, 09:40 am »
Doesn't look like we're full yet so sure.

Emsquare

« Reply #29 on: 5 May 2012, 06:18 pm »
Thanks much... I wondered where everyone went from Planar Assylum. Most of my favorites seem to be here.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #30 on: 6 May 2012, 02:35 pm »
Hey Emsquare, nice to see your moniker 'round these parts. I was going to mention that your post has a typo in it, but I laughed instead - good one. This forum is not as busy as the Planar Assylum, nor does the format lend itself as neatly to tangential discussions, but the water seems to be missing the ingredient that causes insanity. Life isn't so bad out of the padded cell! :lol:

Emsquare

« Reply #31 on: 8 May 2012, 07:47 pm »
Kevin! Wassup buddy?

Thank you kindly for saying hi. Good to see you again.

Perhaps not as busy as Planar Asylum (Ya, it was a typo. I spell... not so good) but perhaps a bit more cordial. I began to feel kinda disappointed with too many of the interactions there. Well... people are people after all so I don't know why it still surprises me. Now if we can just get JBen to come over it will nearly be a complete set. I had to have some places to keep tabs on. How else am I going to come up with things I haven't thought of yet? The Tri-Center is the most intriguing at the moment. Never would have thought of that.

So how's it hanging? The VAC still treating you right? I've noticed some other additions have come since then.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 9 May 2012, 01:03 am »
Sure, JBen would be welcome here.
They certainly were fine with me over on AA.
Over the years I poked around a bit and decided that I liked the people on AudioCircle and thecarversite the best.  The generosity of the people on both sites is just astonishing - they're always willing to help out if you need something.
Which reminds me, I have to return a borrowed phono stage and a tube buffer this weekend, both of which I've had for far too long.

stanz

« Reply #33 on: 19 Jul 2012, 04:26 pm »
Hello everyone!

I have ribbons and cones, but berni says you will hate me  :cry:
Is that true?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 19 Jul 2012, 09:03 pm »
No, that is not true.
We only hate Thunderbrick's bird, Jenny.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #35 on: 19 Jul 2012, 11:41 pm »
It's so nice to hear you guys haven't forgotten my struggles with the flying dung spreader! 

Emsquare

« Reply #36 on: 20 Jul 2012, 01:34 am »
It's so nice to hear you guys haven't forgotten my struggles with the flying dung spreader!

Hmmm... Do you have a friend with an appropriate cat that needs looking after for a week or so? That should be just about enough time.  :green:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #37 on: 20 Jul 2012, 02:22 am »
The wife is allergic to cats.  But, I COULD forget to close the door as I leave for work.    :icon_twisted:

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #38 on: 20 Jul 2012, 02:41 am »
Kevin! Wassup buddy?

Thank you kindly for saying hi. Good to see you again.

Perhaps not as busy as Planar Asylum (Ya, it was a typo. I spell... not so good) but perhaps a bit more cordial. I began to feel kinda disappointed with too many of the interactions there. Well... people are people after all so I don't know why it still surprises me. Now if we can just get JBen to come over it will nearly be a complete set. I had to have some places to keep tabs on. How else am I going to come up with things I haven't thought of yet? The Tri-Center is the most intriguing at the moment. Never would have thought of that.

So how's it hanging? The VAC still treating you right? I've noticed some other additions have come since then.

Please tell me that I sent you an email response. :scratch: Honestly, life has been a little crazy lately, but that's nothing unique.

The VAC is as healthy as ever - thanks to a new (but very old) set of front end tubes (in fact, the Pass X350 is gone - sold it this week (in less than 5 minutes :lol:)). There have been several changes, but some didn't stick. I've been trying to nail down network audio and I'm finally happy, thanks to the arrival of a new device today - the Bryston BDP-1 (which is feeding an Audio Research DAC7). It's outstanding - listening to Corea, Clarke & White right now (in glorious 24/96). I'll get it working with the NAS tomorrow - for now, it's just being fed from USB thumb drives. I also finally added a clock to the room - lower right (displaying 10:16:43).

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #39 on: 20 Jul 2012, 03:47 am »
Hmmm... Do you have a friend with an appropriate cat that needs looking after for a week or so? That should be just about enough time.  :green:

This reminded me of something I once read and thought rather funny (it relates to your suggestion at the very end):

The Cat's Diary

Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...