Music Hall dac25.2 DIY cap recommendations.

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
Music Hall dac25.2 DIY cap recommendations.
« on: 6 Sep 2010, 10:14 pm »
I recently picked up the Music Hall dac25.2 & in it's stock form I was pleasently surprised at how good it sounded. But being a tweaker I made a few changes. First I replaced the stock Russian EH 6922 tube with a Amperex NOS Bugle Boy...the difference was not subtle! Next up I replaced the stock op-amps with Burson dual HD op-amps...again the difference was not subtle. Those two DIY projects have literally transformed the dac. Now for my final project for the dac I'm looking for recommendations for replacing the 4 stock output caps. My budget is around 2-3 hundred. I'm all ears!

TJHUB

Re: Music Hall dac25.2 DIY cap recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2010, 09:42 pm »
I recently picked up the Music Hall dac25.2 & in it's stock form I was pleasently surprised at how good it sounded. But being a tweaker I made a few changes. First I replaced the stock Russian EH 6922 tube with a Amperex NOS Bugle Boy...the difference was not subtle! Next up I replaced the stock op-amps with Burson dual HD op-amps...again the difference was not subtle. Those two DIY projects have literally transformed the dac. Now for my final project for the dac I'm looking for recommendations for replacing the 4 stock output caps. My budget is around 2-3 hundred. I'm all ears!

I have the same DAC and I run a Mazda 7308 tube, a DEXA clock, and I did the Burson's as well.  You are correct, a complete transformation of the DAC and I have yet to hear something I like better. 

I've not yet tackled upgrading the output caps, but I did try the diode mod and did not hear any change whatsoever. 

For caps, I'd contact Parts Connexion by email and ask for suggestions.  I got a lot of help from them when modding my DAC.

I posted a lot of my modding journey in this thread:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12887

Good luck!

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2010, 01:17 pm »
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into that DEXA clock mod. But you're right...a few simple mods & this dac really sings!!!!

rpf

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2010, 05:50 pm »
I had Affordable Audio (MH dealer and service center) do their complete mod package and it transformed the DAC. I wrote about it here (under "classfolkphile"): http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/401281/music-hall-dac25-2-tube-balanced-usb-dac/60.

The caps used were the Hovland Musicaps. I don't know if they're still available as Hovland went out of business, but Parts Connexion might have some stock.