Welcome! - The Vinyl Circle

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Welcome! - The Vinyl Circle
« Reply #60 on: 12 Sep 2012, 03:18 am »

....It's overwhelming, everything that goes into proper vinyl care and playback.  :o
-Dave
Dave,
Welcome to AC.  As far as being overwhelmed- just jump in to vinyl and enjoy it.  Yeah, you get it down better as you go along, but it's a journey. There's lots of guys here to answer questions.

Scott

jimdgoulding

« Reply #61 on: 12 Sep 2012, 04:26 am »
It's labor of love.  For some of us it is also practical as we got into serious music listening years before digital.

painted_klown

« Reply #62 on: 12 Sep 2012, 05:17 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome all.  :)

I plan to read and learn as I go along, and hope to not make too many costly mistakes along the way.  :P

Ericus Rex

« Reply #63 on: 12 Sep 2012, 05:38 pm »
Let us know where you are and maybe an ACer local to you can help/educate you with setup.    :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #64 on: 12 Sep 2012, 09:43 pm »
Dave,

I join in welcoming you. there are lots of good folks hanging out in the vinyl circle.

Laura

Slowhead

« Reply #65 on: 31 Oct 2012, 03:19 pm »
Howdy,  been a member for awhile,  but due to inactivity,  starting over.
Still chasing those hard to find copies and finding a few surprises along the way.

S Clark

« Reply #66 on: 3 Aug 2014, 11:06 pm »
Hopefully this is as good a place as any to ask.  Since we lost JohnTCG some time back, who is the facilitator here at the vinyl circle?   :scratch:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #67 on: 3 Aug 2014, 11:17 pm »
Hopefully this is as good a place as any to ask.  Since we lost JohnTCG some time back, who is the facilitator here at the vinyl circle?   :scratch:

Woodsyi

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: 3 Aug 2014, 11:18 pm »

S Clark

« Reply #69 on: 3 Aug 2014, 11:42 pm »
Thanks, I was just curious since I spend much of my AC time here.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #70 on: 4 Aug 2014, 01:05 am »
If you go to the Circles page, the facilitator for each circle is listed. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=circles

ACHiPo

« Reply #71 on: 2 Nov 2014, 12:22 am »
Joined AudioCircle a few weeks ago when I was researching speakers.  Really like the variety of great info and helpful folks.

I've got a Well Tempered Reference table, a Lyra Delos cartridge feeding Cardas tonearm cables into a Jeff Rowland Design Group Consummate phono and line stage.  I've never heard vinyl sound so good.  We had friends over last weekend--not audiophiles--and we just happened to compare a Dire Straits CD to LP and everyone (even LOML) was pretty amazed at how much better the vinyl sounded (and that was using a BlackCube phono stage since my Consummate phono stage is out for repairs).
« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2014, 06:35 pm by ACHiPo »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #72 on: 2 Nov 2014, 01:48 am »
Welcome to AC and the Vinyl Circle. A lot of good guys and gals hang out here. The sound of good vinyl is amazing.

ACHiPo

« Reply #73 on: 2 Nov 2014, 02:34 am »
Thanks Vinyl_Lady!

voltz

« Reply #74 on: 26 Nov 2014, 02:07 am »
Hello, Brand new here to the AC & VC. I learned about this place from another old member who knew of my love of Vinyl. I got back into vinyl a year or two ago and my love of playing Vinyl just keeps growing.

pconley2

« Reply #75 on: 23 Aug 2015, 10:41 pm »
Hello,
I realize that even though I have made some comments on this Circle, I have not properly introduced myself.  As I consider how to do that, my first thought is how the hell have all of you guys (and guyettes) spent so much time in my record collection without my noticing all of you in my music room.

Seriously, every day I see someone post a picture of an album I have and my initial thoughts are always—wow, I haven’t heard that one in a long time.  As an example, today, Vinyl Lady posted both the Band and the Grass Roots, both of which I have, the Butterfield Blues Band just showed up and Thin Lizzy (that I don’t have) is also mentioned.

I bought my first album in 1963, I posted it on P-Man’s site, and have continued to buy/collect records, (including the years that I worked in a record store Orpheus Records in Washington D.C. if anyone remembers that store) for a very long time.

In the 80’s, CD’s started to come around, and I went back and forth.  I will admit that I have a love-hate relationship with Vinyl since I think it is a terrible storage medium, and in all the years that I was actively buying records I was aware that much of the physical product that I was buying just sucked and I hated the record companies for putting out crap versions of vital and often crucial music—any ABC/Dunhill, all of the Mamas and Papas (not to mention US versions of the Beatles albums), almost anything on RCA, including the Jefferson Airplane etc, were all badly pressed by companies that simply didn’t care.

When I was given a choice, I took it.  A few years later Apple came out with iTunes, and for the first time I was able to sequence songs in the order I wanted to hear them, drag and drop songs from different artists and albums and easily put together song lists of any length that I could put on an iPod and hook up to my stereo—I was in heaven, but I could only do this with digitized music, not the more that 2500 albums that I have picked up over the years (now I control my digital library from my iPad and don’t even have to leave the comfort of my Perfect Chair to listen to any of the 20,000 songs that I have digitized and the many song lists that I have created over time)
Fast forward to a year or so ago and I join AC to learn more about non-traditional speaker companies, especially Salk and Vapor Sound, and what do I find as I look around---People who have a love of vinyl, and who clearly have much the same taste in music that I have, and you guys have me listening to vinyl again.
So I have to thank you for getting me to get off my butt and put an album on my turntable (Rega P3, Aurum Wood  Cartridge and Bellari Phono Pre-amp, running through a Marsh pre-amp to Parasound JC1’s and my beloved Vapor Joules—see below).

I have over the years bought CD versions of many of my favorite albums, some sound better than the vinyl one I have, some don’t sound as well, but there is clearly a difference in the vinyl.  I am not a vinyl purist, I have some truly exceptional CDs of my favorite albums but I no longer gaze at the wall of records and think of them as wall paper, now they are something that I rifle through and say to myself, let’s try this one and see how it has held up.

So to all of you, but especially P-Man, Vinyl Lady, Devil Doc, Cactus Bob, ACHiPO and Toni Rambold (who I assume is not the fictional german police man), I want to thank you for getting me back to vinyl and having me look at the collection I started many years ago
Phil

vinyl_lady

« Reply #76 on: 25 Aug 2015, 05:12 pm »
Phil,

I enjoyed reading your "formal" introduction to the vinyl circle. Aren't you glad you didn't dump your vinyl collection when CDs were all the rage? I know I'm glad I didn't dump mine. Like you, in the mid to late 80's CDs became the primary way I listened to music. I would still play a record here and there, but CD was the primary medium. I bought a lot of greatest hits CDs because I didn't want to spend the money to have CD versions of all my albums and some have never made it to a digital format.

In late 2005/early 2006 I reconnected with my vinyl collection when I bought a Pro-ject Perspective TT and Sumiko Blackbird cartridge. Since then almost all my home listening is to vinyl. When I'm cooking, running around the house or working in the backyard, I play CDs or stream from iTunes through Apple TV plugged into my OPPO 105D. Otherwise, it's all vinyl.

Welcome back!

Laura

pconley2

« Reply #77 on: 25 Aug 2015, 05:55 pm »
laura, thanks for the reply, yes, I am glad to be back and listening to those lovely crackles and pops :green:, by the way, I just picked up the MoFi 45 RPM John Wesley Harding, which does sound wonderful, again thank you for pointing me towards these recordings, so far I have Bringing it All Back Home, Highway 61, Blond on Blond, and now JWH.  Am waiting for Nashville Skyline to complete the late 60's Dylan collection.  I haven't bought any of the early ones, am thinking of those, any advice?

P

stevoz

« Reply #78 on: 20 Nov 2016, 02:36 am »
Hi all, my name is Steve (user name Stevoz), I live in Central Victoria, Australia and look forward to discussing all things audio, well mainly analogue, with like minded 'audiofools'! I will be nice :thumb: and stick to talking audio, and not deviate from this like I did on Audiokarma, which lead to me being banned :duh: after I commented on the US election.:lol: Seriously though, I love my vinyl and enjoy learning and sharing new things regarding what is still the best sound format around.....analogue.

My system consists of a replinthed  and re-damped CEC BD3200 TT (pictured), Vincent PHO-8 phono stage, Cambridge Audio Azur 640R receiver, CA Azur 650BD multi disc player, Aaron ATS-5 mains, Aaron ATS-1 rears, Aaron CC-240 centre, Aaron SUB-240 subwoofer (never used with music playback, only HT!), CA and Monster interconnects and Tara Labs 'Prism Clara" speaker cables. My cartridge collection consists of the following: Grace Level ll AL, Denon DL103, Grace F8C, Grace F8L, ADC XLM mkll, and a Shure M97xE. I returned to analogue late last year after around thirty years of fooling myself that digital was the new frontier. Don't get me wrong, it's a great format for convenience and clinical sound, but to me, it lacks an emotional connect. I am enjoying my music to the max again! Looking forward to both serious chat and humorous banter with you all. Cheers...

VinylRob

« Reply #79 on: 14 Dec 2016, 01:08 am »
I'm new around these parts but this looks like a place that I might really fit in.