Bicycling Off-Road

tdangelo

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #1260 on: 5 Jan 2018, 01:56 pm »
I would also like recommendations for an elliptical chain ring. Based on reviews I've seen the Absolute Black and Wolf Tooth Components are well regarded. If you have experience with these company's products I would be interested in your opinions.

I have a 30t Absolute on all 4 of my MTB’s. I’ve never dropped a chain on any of them and don’t use a chain guide. I think Absolute is more oval than the Wolf. Whenever I swap bikes with a friend the round ring makes my knee hurt after awhile LOL

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1261 on: 5 Jan 2018, 03:09 pm »
Would you recommend changing the number of teeth on the chain ring using an elliptical? For the gear ratios I'm interested in, a 28 tooth round ring would be what I would use, but I don't know if it would be the same using an elliptical chain ring.
I'm leaning toward the Schwalbe Rock Razor for the rear tire and I'll look at your recommendations for the front.

I'd keep the same teeth. 28t is pretty small. An advantage of going SRAM Eagle is using a larger front ring and having better overall ratio spread as the small rings make for smaller intervals like a car with a short final drive gearing. I use 30t on SRAM 11sp, but am going with a 32t for 12sp.

Rock Razor is a good tire but semi-slick rears do wear very quickly... they may have normal side knobs but braking and climbing traction don't stick around for long. The Tomahawk I recommended is somewhat in between, it has short center knobs but lasts longer than a semi-slick. If not Tomahawk I'd go Maxxis Aggressor. I recently tried Aggressor since a couple guys I know on Yeti's Enduro team are running them and I was surprised at how good they are for a less expensive "all-purpose" tire. They're a very good rear tire.   

2gumby2

« Reply #1262 on: 5 Jan 2018, 06:29 pm »
I got a reply from Absolute Black recommending I stay with the same tooth number so I'll be going with AB. Any opinions on Specialized tires? They have a good variety on their web site. I use their tubes in my road bike and I've been very happy.

2gumby2

« Reply #1263 on: 6 Jan 2018, 05:37 am »
Great recommendations. I've settled on the Maxxis tires as they seem to be the best value.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #1264 on: 6 Jan 2018, 10:39 am »
Fat tires double as suspensions on the road.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1265 on: 9 Jan 2018, 03:42 pm »
Finally got it and went for a ride on Saturday, it does not suck.  :)

« Last Edit: 5 May 2018, 04:04 pm by DaveC113 »

coke

« Reply #1266 on: 21 Jan 2018, 04:27 pm »
I got a reply from Absolute Black recommending I stay with the same tooth number so I'll be going with AB. Any opinions on Specialized tires? They have a good variety on their web site. I use their tubes in my road bike and I've been very happy.

I run absolute black 32t on two of my singlespeeds. The first day I tried one, I set PR on the full loop of my local trail.  I see most of the benefits at a low cadence.  I find at high cadence, it makes it a little more difficult to be smooth.  I use oval on my singlespeeds which really helps on climbs, but stick with normal rings on my geared bikes.

Specialized tires aren't bad for the money.  I find I have to run the grid casing though or the tires just won't last.

I typically run maxxis, but have used a lot of different brands.  In general choosing the right size, tread pattern, compound, and protection level is more important than the brand.

My current favorite normal volume tire for all around use is the Maxxis Forekaster.  Not the best at any one particular thing, but it has no major downsides.  I know it's marketed as a mud tire, but I've raced them in lots of conditions, including dry hardpack.

2gumby2

« Reply #1267 on: 29 Jan 2018, 02:54 am »
I ended up getting a Maxxis Agressor for the rear and a Schwalbe Nobby Nic for the front. They seem to be good all around tires.
I'm planning to do a build for my wife using a Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg frame. She is only 5 feet tall and weighs 100 pounds. Not many manufacturers making extra small frames. Guerrilla Gravity makes them though and they've been good at answering all of my questions. When I call, a human being answers the phone. That's impressive these days.

coke

« Reply #1268 on: 29 Jan 2018, 05:49 pm »
I ended up getting a Maxxis Agressor for the rear and a Schwalbe Nobby Nic for the front. They seem to be good all around tires.
I'm planning to do a build for my wife using a Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg frame. She is only 5 feet tall and weighs 100 pounds. Not many manufacturers making extra small frames. Guerrilla Gravity makes them though and they've been good at answering all of my questions. When I call, a human being answers the phone. That's impressive these days.

Liv bikes would be a potential option.  Those bikes are in women's sizes, which are typically about 1 smaller than men's.  A XS men's is roughly equivalent to a S women's.

2gumby2

« Reply #1269 on: 30 Jan 2018, 04:29 am »
Wish I'd known about Liv bikes as they look like a nice option, but I've already purchased all the components for the Shred Dogg build. My wife wants a black frame color so that's what she's getting. She is somewhat style conscious.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1270 on: 14 May 2018, 06:10 pm »
Mt Biking has been awesome here in CO, snow is melting fast!

flat4

« Reply #1271 on: 3 Jun 2018, 08:13 pm »
Mt Biking has been awesome here in CO, snow is melting fast!

Great pics Dave! I love riding in Co.. Been raining a lot here in Pa but still getting out quite a bit. I just ride between the rain drops. :D

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #1272 on: 3 Jun 2018, 11:46 pm »
Hi Guys, just thought to pop in. My ride is a Specialized Enduro but I have been waiting almost 2 years for what should be the world's best folding bike. While street oriented, I will use it on milder off road. I paid half up front and the balance upon delivery. These kick starter projects are always behind. Check out the bike, it's cool and would make a great city transporter. Hey, and it's built in Canada.

https://www.helix.ca

Rocket Ronny

flat4

« Reply #1273 on: 4 Jun 2018, 01:45 am »
Hi Guys, just thought to pop in. My ride is a Specialized Enduro but I have been waiting almost 2 years for what should be the world's best folding bike. While street oriented, I will use it on milder off road. I paid half up front and the balance upon delivery. These kick starter projects are always behind. Check out the bike, it's cool and would make a great city transporter. Hey, and it's built in Canada.

https://www.helix.ca

Rocket Ronny

That would be an awesome commuter. Ti rides sweet and i would go for the 11 speed internal geared hub for less maintenance as i would commute with it in the rain.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1274 on: 4 Jun 2018, 04:54 pm »
Great pics Dave! I love riding in Co.. Been raining a lot here in Pa but still getting out quite a bit. I just ride between the rain drops. :D

Good to hear, don't let rain stop you! ...unless you're talking mud that packs the tires.  :green:   Luckily, that's rare around here and there's lots of decomposing granite that shrugs off water like nothing.

Here's one from South Boundary Trail last weekend, it goes from Angel Fire to Taos in NM, a few days later all the forests were closed due to fire danger, and a fire did break out in the Cimmaron area, not far from Angel Fire. Pic is of my friend Shawnee:

And one of me on the "Staircase of Doom" on South Saint Vrain Trail near Ward, CO. The photo flattened out the perspective, this section of trail requires full commitment. Once you start down this section of trail you're making it to the bottom one way or another, stopping is not an option!

ASCTLC

« Reply #1275 on: 4 Jun 2018, 09:47 pm »
That trail looks nice Dave!

Sadly, I'm already out for the summer.  Going downhill way too fast and missed my corner at Red Rocks (Colo. Spgs) week before last  :slap:  Ruined my golf season too.

Before

After

stlrman

« Reply #1276 on: 5 Jun 2018, 12:53 am »
Yikes , is that a triple fracture?
Get well soon !!

flat4

« Reply #1277 on: 5 Jun 2018, 01:11 am »
Good to hear, don't let rain stop you! ...unless you're talking mud that packs the tires.  :green:   Luckily, that's rare around here and there's lots of decomposing granite that shrugs off water like nothing.

Here's one from South Boundary Trail last weekend, it goes from Angel Fire to Taos in NM, a few days later all the forests were closed due to fire danger, and a fire did break out in the Cimmaron area, not far from Angel Fire. Pic is of my friend Shawnee:

And one of me on the "Staircase of Doom" on South Saint Vrain Trail near Ward, CO. The photo flattened out the perspective, this section of trail requires full commitment. Once you start down this section of trail you're making it to the bottom one way or another, stopping is not an option!

Great pics Dave! I am very familiar with the decomposing granite there.I had a nice downhill crash in 2010 while on TDY in the Springs. The granite was nicely embedded into various contact points on the left side of my body. LOL

Yes pics seem to never do justice to how steep downhills are.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #1278 on: 5 Jun 2018, 11:15 pm »

Great stuff guys, love those trail shots, used to hit the big jumps back in the day but due to some health issues (AGE) I've not been spinning for a while,  but hopefully will start

again soon, here's a shot of my current ride. Thankfully I know Noel, the manufacturer.

Don

flat4

« Reply #1279 on: 6 Jun 2018, 01:02 am »
Great stuff guys, love those trail shots, used to hit the big jumps back in the day but due to some health issues (AGE) I've not been spinning for a while,  but hopefully will start

again soon, here's a shot of my current ride. Thankfully I know Noel, the manufacturer.

Don

51 in July and i keep riding mtb and dirt bikes. Don't let age stop ya. I love Knolly and hope to have one along side my Pivot 429t.