Music that was playing in our room at the show -- What's playing in your room?

cfcjb

Antony and the Johnson's "The Crying Light"
This guy has the most amazing voice (strangely akin to Nina Simone).  A beautiful meditative record. Great arrangements, great songs,  great vocals. If you have a hankering for an album that's sad beauty is totally uplifting, then this is the one for you.

Nick Lowe "The Brentford Trilogy"
This is a 3CD package of "The Impossible Bird", "Dig My Mood", "The Convincer".
Lowe writes some of the best pop songs out there. Check out "The beast in me" or "Faithless lover".
If you are a fan of classic pop tied to great arrangements and wrapped up in a beautiful production, then look no further. It's what the Brits do best.

« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2009, 10:46 pm by cfcjb »

David C.

You can't judge an album by its cover - this one is filled with cheerful, optimistic blues.

Earman

Tal Wilkenfeld - Transformation
Bass wonder from down under

Tower Of Power - Live And In Living Color
TOP kicks live booty

Susan Tedeschi - Back To The River
A Bonnie Raitt for the 21st century

R Browne

Some new music for me - all from ECM.

Julia Hülsmann Trio - The End of a Summer

Anouar Brahem - The Astounding Eyes Of Rita

Gianluigi Trovesi - Vaghissimo Ritratto

Jon Hassell - Last night the moon came dropping its clothes in the street

David C.

A lovely long conversation between cello and piano. This is all that Beethoven had to say.

decal

Real deal honky tonk blues.Very well recorded.

David C.

Beautiful and noble lamentation and prophecy of doom from medieval Spain.

R Browne

Vassilis Tsabropolos/Arild Andersen/John Marshall - Achirana

Christian Vasseur - Alam

Nest - Retold

Solo Andata - Solo Andata

Willits + Sakamoto - Ocean Fire
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2010, 03:33 am by R Browne »

vulcan

Some new music for me - all from ECM.

Julia Hülsmann Trio - The End of a Summer

Anouar Brahem - The Astounding Eyes Of Rita

Gianluigi Trovesi - Vaghissimo Ritratto

Jon Hassell - Last night the moon came dropping its clothes in the street
:dance: :dance: Great!!

Gianluigi Trovesi you listen Fugace? Is a beatiful cd's
I like ECM music now I'm listening a  JON BALKE / AMINA ALAOUI "SIWAN" :angel: :angel:

R Browne

Nicola,

Thanks. I haven't heard "Fugace" yet. I'll check it out. The JON BALKE / AMINA ALAOUI "SIWAN" disc was named as #1 in a selection of the top ten recordings of 2009 by one of the DJ's of a World Music/Jazz program at my local radio station KCRW.

Robert
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2010, 12:58 am by R Browne »

David C.

Spooky, compelling rock from the sixties, remixed for much better sound quality. This is the first, and best, of the Doors' six studio albums. The last song on the album, 'The End', was used on the soundtrack for the movie 'Apocalypse Now.'

David C.

Complex, subtle and refreshing; this ain't your grandpa's waltz music.

R Browne

Egberto Gismonti - Solo

Nils Frahm - Wintermusik
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2010, 01:48 am by R Browne »

Major Roadrash

I heard a cut from this on CBC Radio 2 and liked it.  Sort of a post-modern country sound (they call it "city-grass"), lots of acoustic guitar and banjo with a very natural sound.  Took me a while to locate the CD but it was worth it.  As a bonus, when I heard "Big Ol' Dirty Tattoo" that's on this CD, it made me laugh out loud...been a long time since a song has made me do that!  The band is called The United Steelworkers of Montreal and the CD is "Kerosene & Coal".  Highly recommended for both the music and the great sound.  You can get more info and a link to download the album in FLAC format here:  http://www.uswm.ca/
Dan.

« Last Edit: 10 May 2010, 06:51 pm by Major Roadrash »

David C.

Slow, ghostly, high-pitched ambient music.

David C.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Electric Ladyland.
Swooping, stratospheric electric guitar with plenty of wah-wah pedal. Jimi was from Seattle, so he knew how to cope with a west coast winter: "Lay back and dream on a rainy day. Ain't no use gettin' uptight, just let it groove its own way."

David C.

The coolest of cool jazz, built around Bill Evan's piano work. Introspective, occasionally verging on introverted, and so cool as to sometimes seem slightly morose, I find this music consoling when my faith in human nature is at a low ebb.

Miles Davis: The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions (3 discs)
Miles has a new crew, goes electric and does fusion. It took me a long time to see that this is a happier, more meditative extension of Kind of Blue; now I wonder how I ever missed the connection.

cfcjb

"King Tubby deconstructions of Dynamites rhythms produced by Clancy Eccles. Anyone interested in Tubby's early mixing style need look no further as he takes on these straight forward reggae songs and turns them upside down and inside out, taking them on to somewhere completely different."

Totally and utterly brilliant dub reggae re-mixes. This stuff is so cool it's ice cold. Even if you don't have an interest in this genre, I would urge you to listen to the samples on Amazon and then buy the damned thing!

Note the cover. The boys seem to be into audio as well.  ;-)

R Browne

Michael Brook - Cobalt Blue

Balmorhea - Constellations

Jóhann Jóhannsson -  And in the endless pause there came the sound of bees

R Browne

Some Robin Guthrie...

Carousel

Angel Falls

Songs To Help My Children Sleep