Multi-channel Guy diving into the Two-channel Pool

IndyLions

Multi-channel Guy diving into the Two-channel Pool
« on: 24 Feb 2018, 02:06 pm »
I have enjoyed researching here over the past several months.  I guess it is about time to stop lurking, and step out of the shadows.  I have been a member at AVS Forum for many years, and as my interests are expanding this forum was a logical stop.

I’ve been a music and home theater aficionado and general tech geek for a number of years.  I have a modest, dedicated home theater / multichannel home theater - and now I’m going “Back to the Future” to 2 channel Audio.

I have always told people that despite being a proud father and dedicated husband with a successful career, I’m really just a 14 year old at heart.  In 1978, my dreams of the future were to have a great stereo system - located in a dedicated room for listening to music and reading books. So in 2018 with my kids out of the house - it’s time to make it happen.

As an electrical engineer by degree, and as a Sales/Marketing professional in a technical (non-consumer) industry - I am interested by the tech behind the Sound - but mainly am looking forward to the listening.  I am open minded but a little skeptical when it comes to certain upgrades that people invest in - but those folks trust their ears and are spending their own money - so more power to them.

I have just ordered a pair of Salk Sound Song 3-As which will be the heart of my Music Library (which is what I’m calling my listening / reading room, partially due to its double meaning).  As the Salk’s could take 3-4 months to construct - I am using the time to renovate the room - which is currently my home office - what the builder described as a “Parlor” in the home plans.  I will take a practical, minimalist approach to Sound treatments and am researching that now.

From an amplification standpoint, I am sold on Scott separates for Pre-Amp (Freya) & Amp (Vidar).  I plan on a single amp to start in single-ended mode, with adding a second Amp and switching to balanced mode a near future upgrade.  The size of the room and efficiency of the speakers seems to indicate one stereo Amp will do.

On the source side, I recently purchased a reasonable entry level turntable - the Audio Technica AT-LP5.  An upgraded cartridge will soon follow.  But vinyl will probably only take up 5-10% of my listening time - as I have not had an active record collection since 1983 (my last album purchase was Kilroy was Here LOL).  It’s just that my dream of 1978 included a turntable, so the reality of 2018 will include one!

A majority of my listening will be digital.  A SACD/DAC from TEAC (CD-2000) will initially pull double duty for all the digital sources - with digitized music served up by Roon running on a Mac Mini.

Ironically, my Back to the Future” post is being composed on a Train (Lake Shore Limited) instead of a jet, and my stop approaches.

Thanks for reading!

Phil A

Re: Multi-channel Guy diving into the Two-channel Pool
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2018, 02:23 pm »
Welcome to AC!

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2018, 02:55 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, IndyLions.  You sound like a man with a plan!  And enjoy those Salks, they are going to blow you away if you haven't heard Salks before.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2018, 03:03 pm »
Welcome and thanks for the full bodied introduction.

I have a 'practical' (net increased cost = $0) dedicated listening room that was built with the house in '05.  Cheaper carpet/pad and door offset staggered (insulated) stud walls and cryogenically treated hospital grade wall receptacles.  Most importantly was the room shape, followed Cardas Golden Cuboid (hope you can too).  I also have six GIK 244 panels (check them out here on Audio Circle) but they are almost useless in my ideal room and near-field setup (work wonders elsewhere).

Had a Freya here last spring but sent it back.  See my review here at AC.  YMMV

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2018, 08:33 pm »
Welcome IndyLions :thumb:

srb

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2018, 09:30 pm »
I have just ordered a pair of Salk Sound Song 3-As which will be the heart of my Music Library (which is what I’m calling my listening / reading room, partially due to its double meaning).
What a great choice.  Speakers are where the rubber meets the road.

From an amplification standpoint, I am sold on Scott separates for Pre-Amp (Freya) & Amp (Vidar).
You can say it, you're among friends .... Shit Schiit.  ;)

Welcome, great first post.

Steve

IndyLions

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2018, 01:33 pm »
You can say it, you're among friends .... Shit Schiit.  ;)

I can say it....but my iPad’s spell checker can’t

:)

rockadanny

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2018, 01:38 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:

"Parlor" room ... In my mind when I read this I saw a small enclosed room. Is your room open? What dimensions?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2018, 09:31 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC IndyLions    :thumb: 

IndyLions

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2018, 12:03 am »
"Parlor" room ... In my mind when I read this I saw a small enclosed room. Is your room open? What dimensions?

11’4” x 13’8”

It’s mostly open on one side.  When I consulted with the speaker builder (Jim Salk), he recommended the Song 3A given that room.  Best orientation (according to Jim) would likely be the speakers on the narrow wall with the open side behind the listening position.  That orientation will be the trickiest from a traffic flow standpoint, so I’m still trying to figure out if I can make that work.

IndyLions

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2018, 12:13 am »
...I also have six GIK 244 panels (check them out here on Audio Circle) but they are almost useless in my ideal room and near-field setup (work wonders elsewhere).

Had a Freya here last spring but sent it back.  See my review here at AC.  YMMV

Thanks for the links to the panels.  They aren’t as expensive as I would have thought. 

I’ll be sure to read your review on the Freya.  I have heard the Freya/Vidar combination at a friend’s house - but with a completely different loudspeaker design and listening room.  Price wise it is hard to beat as an entry level point for separates.