VMPS owner

ksbryan

VMPS owner
« on: 19 Feb 2018, 11:09 pm »
Hi. I own a pair of VMPS Tower II R's, and was referred to your site for help and advice. Also looks like there is lots of interesting reading too.  My issue with the speakers is I need to replace all the woofers.  I could have them re-coned, but is that the best option? Does anyone know of a suitable replacement driver?  They are wonderful speakers, and I really don't want to buy something else.   Look forward to hearing what other owners think I should do.  Ken

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: VMPS owner
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2018, 11:56 pm »
Welcome aboard Ken :thumb:
VMPS closed due Brian passing but VMPS Circle continue active here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=39.0

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2018, 12:07 am »
Hi. I own a pair of VMPS Tower II R's, and was referred to your site for help and advice. Also looks like there is lots of interesting reading too.  My issue with the speakers is I need to replace all the woofers.  I could have them re-coned, but is that the best option? Does anyone know of a suitable replacement driver?  They are wonderful speakers, and I really don't want to buy something else.   Look forward to hearing what other owners think I should do.  Ken
  Like most all speaker manufactures Brian Cheney  (May he rest in peace) Probably bought his drivers from an other source. I doubt if he made his drivers.
  Don't know how but maybe you can find the the company that supplied his drivers. HEY!!! Try google!

Cheers
                                                               Charlie

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2018, 12:17 am »
Welcome!

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2018, 12:19 am »
There's lots of threads here - e.g. - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113729.0

revg1952

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2018, 12:22 am »
Misco manufactured the woofers and some of the cone mids in the past. MISCO is Minneapolis Speaker Company. Is it the cones or the surrounds that need to be replaced?
RevG

ksbryan

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2018, 09:56 pm »
The problem is the surrounds . . . the cones themselves seem to be fine. That is great info about MISCO; I probably should be contacting them.  Many thanks. :) 

Bob Stark

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2018, 10:27 pm »
ksb,

I had my 10" woofer for my VMPS RM40s refoamed with a new cone that looks identical to the other woofers except newer for a reasonable cost at Deltronics in Woodridge, IL.  Phone number is (630) 910-6630.  They do work on anything including vintage tube equipment and really old stuff.  They have fixed a sub for me along with the VMPS woofer, TRL DUDE preamp, Oppo 83 cd/DVD player, and advised me not to fix a couple items that would not have been worth it even though they would have made good money doing the fix.  Everything has worked fine since.  They could fix your woofer.  If you don't find a place close to you that can do it, they are plenty able.  Located about 25 miles SW of Chicago.

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2018, 02:49 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, ksbryan.  AC will likely be a good source for info and an occasional source for parts as several members are constantly scouring the internet to find and post those ads here in the VMPS Owner's Circle.

ksbryan

« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2018, 03:15 pm »
I think I am going to pursue having new surrounds/recons rather than new drivers. I appreciate all the feedback and am open to any other thoughts. Still have a lot to look at on the site.  :)