jrmedia

« on: 23 Jan 2018, 04:11 pm »
Hello everybody glad to join the forum!! Need some help on bass traps and wall treatments.My speakers are tyler acoustics pd90 big speakers flooring is carpet back kitchen area is wood. Please look at picture tell me what you guys think. I know the room is not the best but its what I'm dealing with any input would be helpful. Thanks Jason

Hipper

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2018, 05:25 pm »
Hello Jason, welcome!

Three things can improve the sound of a system in a room:

1. Getting the speakers and listening chair in optimum positions.

2. Room treatment.

3. Careful use of an equaliser, if you dare!

1. If you are free to move your speakers and chair around you can reduce in particular bass problems. I use this method, but there are others:

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/monitoring.htm

How free are you to move your chair and speakers around? In order to check you've got it right you can use your ears and music or test tones, your ears and a sound pressure level (SPL) meter with test tones, or best and most sophisticated, a measuring programme such as Room EQ Wizard, which requires a laptop, microphone and stand and lots of learning.

2. Frankly the best place to get advice on room treatment would be to contact a supplier. GIK and Real Traps are such people:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/

http://realtraps.com/

Both should give you free advice in the hope of sales. I've used GIK and found them helpful.

Bass traps will be key and they are quite large and a bit unsightly for a living room. Usually bass traps are placed in corners where the sound pressure seems to build up.

To deal with glass you could use panels on feet so they can be moved away when not in use.

Regarding your room layout, you certainly have some good space to play with. Having nothing behind your listening position is a good thing as you won't get reflections from there. The cove on the left of the left speaker is problematic as it's best to have symmetry for both speakers. Bass will behave differently in each corner, not just wall/wall corners but wall ceiling corners too. I'm not sure what to do about that. You will also get reflections off the right wall but not off the left. By using absorbent panels on the right wall that may balance things.

Some people also have problems with floor and ceiling reflections with the mid and high frequencies. That depends on how your speakers spread the sound. You could ask Tylers about that. Usually a carpet on the floor will help, and panels on the ceiling (you should try and test if ceiling reflections are an issue as putting panels on the ceiling may be difficult).

Well, that's you starter. There's a lot to it. It took me a few years to learn and complete what I wanted to do. Take your time, experiment, and of course, enjoy your music!

jrmedia

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2018, 05:57 pm »
Thanks for the input!! I completely agree on the right speaker having a wall and the left not having a wall is gonna be a problem. The spot the speakers are at now is really my only option I pick the tylers up this week will post more pics on what I'm dealing with just trying to get some ideas. The speakers are massive 6 feet tall and 250lbs each

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2018, 06:15 pm »
Welcome!

Hipper

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2018, 09:41 pm »
I'd suggest trying The Thirds anyway as an exercise just to hear what it does compared to your planned positions. Positioning really has a significant impact on the sound.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2018, 11:24 am »
Welcome.

Confused: do you eat in the living room (kitchen is small)?  Is that a TV, separate from the audio system and with no sound system associated with it?  I see a rack near the TV alcove, but apparently nothing for the audio system, is that correct?  Is your sketch strictly to scale?

Lots of space - good.  A couple of alcoves - can be a good thing.  Your setup looks close to ideal given the space, but would recommend pulling speakers farther out from the front wall.  I'm a near-field fan, so would suggest pulling speakers/listening position closer together to further reduce room effects, reference Cardas room setup guidelines.  As always, moving gear is free, so experiment. 

What do you have for an audio equipment rack?  I've been reducing rack sizes (and simplifying my system) for years and each time find significant imaging/soundstage benefits from it.  Now using a single 12" x 43" shelf that is spiked to the floor and 3 feet clear of the front wall in my man cave (which also allows for shorter cabling).

Unfortunately most audiophiles overbuy gear for the given room.  The room cannot be ignored for optimal in-room sound.  Treatments are the best bandaid to start with but are only that, bandaids.  I have six GIK 244 panels that work wonders elsewhere but in my Cardas Golden Cuboid shaped room are of little benefit.  EQ/DSP must be used with care (for instance trying to eliminate big dips can fry amps and blow up speakers needlessly), should only be used as the finishing touch, and only work at a single room location anyway.  Recommend reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" to learn more.

jrmedia

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2018, 03:48 pm »
No I do not eat in living room the kitchen are is just a small little area to put some crock pots small fridge and sit grab a quick bite during a game is all nothing special. Tv is seperate from audio system I just use a simple sound bar for that.The rack holds my stereo equipment I have always found in my situation if i can put the turntable behind another wall it helps the turntable not to mention I have a 20 amp line ran straight to the box for those outlets nothing else is on that outlet. Audio rack is all wood with spikes. My sketch measurements are very close all in feet. The alcove to the left of the speaker concerns me as does the length of the room. These are massive speakers. My speakers are probably a little big for the area but it's what I have. Once I get everything set up I will post some pictures. Thanks JLM