Inexpensive Android Tablet

Don_S

Inexpensive Android Tablet
« on: 8 Jan 2018, 05:54 pm »
I would appreciate recommendations for a small, inexpensive Android tablet. I do not have a smart phone.  I will be traveling outside the US in areas that may or may not have internet access. I would like something inexpensive and lightweight to take with me. I could also use it as a remote for my music streamer at home.

I have a 10" iPad with hardcover/keyboard case. It is a great combination but too much to take with me on a trip that will not have more than two nights in any one location. I need to keep everything to one suitcase not over 50 pounds.

Are Amazon Fire tablets Android or some Amazon proprietary device?

Thanks for any help.

Phil A

Doublej

Re: Inexpensive Android Tablet
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2018, 10:21 pm »
What are your desires on price, size, resolution and Android version? Best Buy has a bunch starting at around $60. My understanding of Amazon Fire Tablets is that they run an Amazon specific version of Android which uses the Amazon App store instead of Google's app store.

I have no idea how the two compare.

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2018, 11:09 pm »
What are your desires on price, size, resolution and Android version? Best Buy has a bunch starting at around $60. My understanding of Amazon Fire Tablets is that they run an Amazon specific version of Android which uses the Amazon App store instead of Google's app store.

I have no idea how the two compare.

Doublej,  Thanks for the info. I will avoid Amazon Fire products.  $60 works.  Hopefully someone will have brand/model specific recommendations or avoid warnings.

Do I have to purchase security software with the device or do android products come with it like Windows does?

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2018, 11:59 pm »
I am not an Android expert but I believe you will need to purchase security software. Your ISP provider might have something that you can install for free.

Privacy is a separate issue. You should be very cautious about the apps you install and what they are asking for access to (microphone, location, photos, etc.). Never install anything from outside of the Google app store.

Also considering doing a factory reset on the device when you return to rid the device of any software malware that may have found it's way on the device during your travels.

rikhav

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2018, 01:59 am »
The biggest issue with cheap android tablets is poor screen resolution so make your decision accordingly. It surely is a problem if you want to read articles on websites
One can manage to Iive with slower cpu but I feel if screen resolution is sub par it will cause too much discomfort