The new affordable amps are here....CES debut

ctsooner

The new affordable amps are here....CES debut
« on: 5 Jan 2018, 03:41 pm »
Here is what they are sharing for now. 

Vandersteen Audio Introduces the Next GREAT Amplifier at CES 2018!
Venetian Suite 29-203
Vandersteen Audio shook up the audio world with its liquid-cooled M7-HPA monoblocks, a radical advance in power amplifier design and loudspeaker performance that is Stereophile Class-A rated as a true reference.
Vandersteen is doing it again at CES 2018 in Las Vegas, where you can get the first look and listen at a pre-production pair of the upcoming M5-HPA (High-Pass Amplifier) monoblocks!
The M5-HPA is a solid-state design descended directly from the flagship monoblocks. It will be substantially less expensive, but will offer an astonishing amount of the flagship's sonic magic. While the M7-HPA is designed specifically for Vandersteen's Model Seven Mk II speakers, the M5-HPA will work with a much wider variety of loudspeakers and Vandersteen powered subwoofers. To accomplish this goal, while the M7-HPA's high-pass is fixed at 100Hz, the M5-HPA's internal high-pass filtering is adjustable to any of the following five settings: 20Hz, 40Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 200Hz.
Vandersteen for years has employed high-pass filtering with powered subwoofers for the ultimate in powered-bass performance.  When paired with a Vandersteen powered-bass speaker like the Quatro Wood CT the M5-HPA forms a complete powered-bass speaker system in which the amplification is perfectly optimized over the entire frequency range.
Richard Vandersteen is responsible for the M5-HPA’s overall design and architecture; the amplifier was developed and is built in partnership between Vandersteen Audio and Dean Klinefelter, a talented designer and engineer in his own right.
Vandersteen powered-bass speaker systems are the ultimate expression of Richard Vandersteen’s philosophies on design and performance, formed over decades of industry-leading design & research & innovation.

M5-HPA's technical attributes:
Zero-Feedback Solid-State Design With Dual Single-Ended Circuits Connected By The Speaker Load
All Signal Transistors N-Channel Bipolars
No Emitter Resistors
Minimal Circuit Path- Only 5 Parts In Signal Path Per Phase
10 Separate Power Supplies
Adjustable High-Pass Filter (20Hz, 40Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 200Hz)
300-Watts Into 4 Ohms / 150-Watts Into 8 Ohms
Made In The USA

mgsboedmisodpc2

Re: The new affordable amps are here....CES debut
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2018, 12:11 am »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2018, 01:20 am »
Affordable???

Hardly.

George

oem-wheels

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2018, 01:47 am »
NEW AFFORDABLE in the description but fails to mention the price ...

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2018, 03:46 am »
oem-wheels price is less than $57K

oem-wheels

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2018, 04:37 am »
no wonder he didn't mention it

sebrof

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2018, 05:59 am »
oem-wheels price is less than $57K
Each or per pair?

dminches

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2018, 12:45 pm »
First, the press release itself did not call them affordable.  The OP did.

The M7-HPAs are $52k per pair.  Thus, one can safely assume these will be less.

All this stuff is expensive.  At $35k per pair they would hardly be out of the range of tons of other amps available.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2018, 12:59 pm »
First, the press release itself did not call them affordable.  The OP did.

The M7-HPAs are $52k per pair.  Thus, one can safely assume these will be less.

All this stuff is expensive.  At $35k per pair they would hardly be out of the range of tons of other amps available.

Sorry...it’s just too easy to pick on the OP and his constant over the top and poorly worded fan boy posts.

I agree that a lot of gear is expensive and these amps will and should be compared with appropriately priced gear.  Not looking to start up the value debate in this thread.

That said, I do feel like Vandersteen’s move up the chain has been quite substantial (way higher than when I purchased my 5A’s back in 2006) and has certainly reduced my opportunities to move up in the line.

George
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2018, 03:29 pm by zybar »

dminches

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2018, 02:55 pm »
George, there is no doubt that the upper end of the line has moved out of the reach of a lot of people. There are still some “value” options but my guess is that the cost of staying in business has gotten higher and higher. The number of good options continues to shrink and I doubt that will change.

Daverz

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2018, 12:20 am »
An idle request, as I can't afford any of this, but why not put the whole crossover and bass EQ in the amp?

Tomictime

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2018, 12:42 am »
sure CT is enthusiastic and as a happy listener he should be.

fact the preliminary pricing will be $15 K the pair. so for the cynics you can go pick around the edges somewhere else.

let me repeat that the CES flyer will state preliminary pricing $15 K

for those of us who have any significant part of creating new products out of less than whole cloth you know how tough it is to nail down pricing on hundreds of componenets and then predict assembly times and yields, hence the word preliminary....but hopefully by now as mostly Vandersteen fans and owners you KNOW RV does not do anything half A.....

George are you running the better 7 filters on your 5 a ? that an easy and frankly inexpensive upgrade path available to you now. Maybe you bought mine off Agon... ?

I had 5 a for years, thought about Quattro CT being a better fit for new room, evaluated the 5 a carbon but went ahead and got the 7 mk2, yes I understand I am blessed. Just recently added the M7- HPA and I can tell you it is an amazing system paired with the 7

I should and will write a detailed review but I can say in no way do I miss ANY aspect of the great amplifier the Vandersteen amps replaced. Will the new affordable amps be as good? probably not but knowing RV and his approach they will be incredible....

Tomictime

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2018, 12:46 am »
lots of Quattro, 5 a, 7 owners already have the sub amps, crossovers, and EQ why duplicate investment by building all that again into the amplifier...they already weigh 118 each and have 3 DBS ports....

ctsooner

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jan 2018, 10:13 pm »
Sorry...it’s just too easy to pick on the OP and his constant over the top and poorly worded fan boy posts.

George

George, why do you feel that you need to pick on anyone?  Easy?  Maybe in your mind, but my posts are just like many who enjoy audio and their gear.  Who's judging me as being over the top?  Just what I thought. I'm sorry that my wording of posts isn't up to your standards.  Having MS and dealing with the issue I deal with daily are troublesome enough, but to be put down by someone who doesn't know me is well, sad.  It's a message board and I understand that folks have no problem making a statement like you did. Heck, I'm sure I've insulted others too without realizing it, but I don't believe that I've ever made a statement like you just did. 

If you feel better now that you have 'easily picked on me', then I'm happy for you and feel badly that you feel the need to do that.  Feel free to ignore this post as well as the rest of my posts and I'll feel free to keep posting and enjoying this and other forums. 

2bigears

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jan 2018, 10:39 pm »
 :D who buys this stuff. VAC 65K dollar amps.?  35k dollars is huge loot.  Real people are tripping out to buy 1000 dollar amps now without hearing them.  (in the market myself).  :scratch:
     Make more on a Caddy than a Corolla ,,,,,,  :D

dminches

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jan 2018, 12:32 am »

George are you running the better 7 filters on your 5 a ? that an easy and frankly inexpensive upgrade path available to you now. Maybe you bought mine off Agon... ?

I have a pair of M7 high pass filters available if someone is looking for a set...

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jan 2018, 12:00 pm »
I have a pair of M7 high pass filters available if someone is looking for a set...

Thanks for the offer Dave.

I will most likely be selling my 5A's in the near future, but if I decide to keep them, I will ping you.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jan 2018, 12:02 pm »

Just curious...

What are the changes and expected improvements in the M7 high pass filters of the version 5 filters?

George

dminches

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jan 2018, 12:58 pm »
Just curious...

What are the changes and expected improvements in the M7 high pass filters of the version 5 filters?

George

I really don't know.  Let me see if I can get some information.  Could just be "upgraded components."

dminches

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jan 2018, 12:59 pm »
Thanks for the offer Dave.

I will most likely be selling my 5A's in the near future, but if I decide to keep them, I will ping you.

George

What do you think you will be replacing them with?