How's your car in the snow?

Jason55

Re: How's your car in the snow?
« Reply #40 on: 10 Mar 2018, 03:08 pm »
My BMW is a piece of shit !! But it's all wheel drive and does well in the snow. My wife's Forester kicks ass in the snow . She however panics in the snow !!!  Subaru has the best all wheel drive I believe. But any heavy all wheel drive SUV should do well. I live in the Burgh , and it's a super hilly city!!! Many people do have front wheel drive cars here though.

I have an awd Bmw and my so has an Outback. I have oldish tires but it handles the snow well. The Outback is good for snow but sounds like a truck and not fun to drive :)

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #41 on: 16 Apr 2018, 01:37 am »
For the most part, it's about the tires. I always put 4 snows on my BMW's over the years with great results. My RWD E39 540i 6-speed was a beast in the snow and slick stuff, as long as it wasn't crazy deep.

Totally agree. I have a FWD car (PT Cruiser), a RWD car (Miata) and they both do excellent in winter. Tires?  Continental ExtremeWinterContacts.

I've run "ice radials" since my first set of Cooper Weatheralls for my truck more than 20 years ago. They vary a bit from each other, and I've tried Michelin X-Ice, various models of Bridgestone Blizzaks, Nokians, and Coopers, which so far, the best "true truck", as in not P-rated (which means Passenger Car) variants, but even cheap Chinese $40 Wall-Mart specials are markedly better than all-seasons, as I've bought some tires for the kids' and they were an eye-opener to drive on. If that's all you can afford, go for it.

The biggest thing these days are modern vehicles and two things ... catalytic converters and anti-lock brakes. The anti-locks polish the approach to intersections and the cats mean there is a lot of tailpipe moisture until the vehicle is fully warmed up, so when a car or truck accelerates after a stop, they dump water between the crosswalks which freezes on contact with below-freezing pavement. So the whole section from approach to past the threshold of the far corners is icy.

The Conti's are the best passenger car tires ever, I am amazed at their snow grip, which you don't always get in a winter tire that is designed for ice traction, and they still are 95% as sticky as the best on ice and great in wet cold weather pavement. Not even noisy. Drove more than once when the snow was so high that the car is plowing with the plastic under-engine "skid plate" which is really to control airflow underhood, or the front dam, and no problems with traction.

For the truck I've settled on Cooper AT-3's which are more of a snow tire than an ice tire, but they are M+S rated and have the mountain/snowflake. The key to driving a heavy vehicle like that in winter is smooth power and brake application. Right foot discipline.

RWD or FWD, they drive differently but there is no reason not to use a RWD vehicle in winter. If you have some experience with them (even FWD cars are easy to spin with understeer and unexpected bite which can take an inexperienced driver by surprise), it's not a case of FWD is the only way to go as some believe. AWD is OK but you don't stop any faster.

Contrary to what some believe, if you have uneven F-R wear, put the tire with the most bite on the rear. That goes with FWD vehicles as well; otherwise understeer on declining radius curves, like a cloverleaf or freeway exit ramp, will introduce a spin. With RWD you can drive with the throttle, nudging the vehicle to be tail happy or nose-heavy without understeer, as you see fit.

I actually *like* driving in winter, it's fun and with experience not dangerous, although you do have to be paying attention. I feel sorry for people who can't experience low-traction driving, it's a gas sometimes and just as controllable as on dry warm pavement. It's kind of like on summer gravel only more so. A Dirt Track racer would know what I'm talking about.

It must be said, though, that the near-extinct manual transmission (both cars) is so much better in winter than an automatic (the truck).

By the way, this topic was dead for "more than 30 days", although not by much, but the reason I'm posting is, if you can spare the money, the real deals on good winter tires are happening right this minute. Check out online stock and have them sent to your local store, or just call around. They don't want to inventory them, so it's at cost or less right now. Buy something fresh for next winter.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #42 on: 16 Apr 2018, 06:07 am »
I've been driving in snow for as long as I've been driving but mostly have had 4wds. Like someone mentioned the 4 runners go well but they must be in 4wd, they are bad in 2wd. The other comments about tires is also correct and very important. I have had great luck with goodyear all terrain tires, they don't last all that long because the rubber is soft. Of course that's what you want for snow tire.

Out of all the 4wd vehicles I have owned by far the best one was a 1999 Ford Expedition. All wheel drive all the time or 4H and 4L. I put Good Year all terrain tires on that rig and I could go anywhere. It was hard to break loose from the road on compact snow and ice and I could drive 50mph on the passes here in WA. State. The worst care I ever had was a 1967 Ford Mustang, manual 3 on the floor with a 289. It would hardly go in the snow at all and mostly I just took in out in the parking lots for fun and spun around a lot.

DKMTech

« Reply #43 on: 4 Sep 2018, 02:03 pm »

By the way, this topic was dead for "more than 30 days", although not by much, but the reason I'm posting is, if you can spare the money, the real deals on good winter tires are happening right this minute. Check out online stock and have them sent to your local store, or just call around. They don't want to inventory them, so it's at cost or less right now. Buy something fresh for next winter.

It's almost winter again. I've had trouble getting tires if I order much past September. Something to keep in mind...

twitch54

« Reply #44 on: 4 Sep 2018, 02:22 pm »

On top of that I can see how a CVT transmission is probably the worst idea ever for snow... It basically encourages spinning.

not all CVT's !! my old 'snow pony' could hook quite well !

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #45 on: 4 Sep 2018, 03:07 pm »
I got one snow car and one road car.  No tire change is going to make a Mustang GT a snow car.  It's not going anywhere if there is snow or ice.  Expedition EL 4x4 on the other hand came with Hankook all season tires on 20" wheels.  It's great on snow.  Under a foot and it's good.  More than a foot would close all businesses, schools and offices around DC and I wouldn't be driving at all.  Having 2 different sets of tires make sense but I am just too lazy and we don't really get that much snow around here to justify keeping an additional set of tires just for snow.  Plus,  there is the subway option if I must go into the city.

rodge827

« Reply #46 on: 4 Sep 2018, 03:30 pm »
Snow? Really?

Sweating my a$$ off today!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #47 on: 4 Sep 2018, 03:30 pm »
I'd rather not know how my car performs in snow. Best to stay home by the fire and wonder than to go out and be disappointed or pleased. Play it safe. Stay warm. Snow outdoors just enhances the listening experience in your room that much more. Put the snow tire money toward a winter amp.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #48 on: 4 Sep 2018, 07:10 pm »
I live in Minnesota. I have a 2009 Nissan Maxima  and a 2001 Acura CL Type S.  Both have traction control  and Continental Pure Contact V rated AS performance tires which do great in light to moderate snow.  Also have a 2004 AWD Nissan Murano with only 65K miles which does great in  the snow.
« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2018, 10:20 pm by I.Greyhound Fan »

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #49 on: 4 Sep 2018, 08:12 pm »
Practice  Practice  Practice  :
First good snowfall, head out to the biggest empty parking lot you can find.
Launch and lock, launch, turn and loose it, launch, turn and recover.
ABS off and do it all over again.

After hours we were practicing in our local mall lot and a local Cop filipped his lights at us.
"What in heck do you think your doing!!"
My wife, the driver repliides "Practicing" after a brief moment of silence he nods and said "Carry on".

Unless you spent the summer driving dirt backroads you forget that controlled drifting feeling.

Shawn

mcgsxr

« Reply #50 on: 4 Sep 2018, 10:50 pm »
I find most cars built after 2007 or so cannot be slid much.  The traction/yaw control comes on immediately when I yank the e brake on my 2009 Fusion - regardless of how the traction control is turned off.

I grew up driving front wheel drive cars in the snow and e brake turning was excellent practice (done safely in parking lots) for loss of traction in winter.

stlrman

« Reply #51 on: 5 Sep 2018, 09:43 am »
Three words: Subaru , Subaru, Subaru!!!
I had an old Subaru stick shift many years ago, the street would get plowed in . Turn wheels and floor it out of the snow bank.
Now we have a 2015 Forrester and it is awesome in the snow !!!
My BMW all wheel drive does pretty dang well .

BobM

« Reply #52 on: 5 Sep 2018, 12:19 pm »
Subaru Outback - nuff said

sellagogo

« Reply #53 on: 8 Apr 2019, 03:28 pm »
Firestones on a Toyota tacoma...does ok but not the greatest