HE4XX

JohnR

HE4XX
« on: 19 Dec 2017, 11:50 am »
Not a review or anything, just thought I may as well start a discussion about it.

My take so far is that it's a very good deal. In some ways it's easier to listen to than the HE560. But (this is a big but) I'm also now pretty firmly in the camp that you have to EQ headphones. (I'd love to see what Dale would do with these, despite his massdrop aversion :) ) Without EQ, there's a pretty big peaky peak in the 9k area. I'm sensitive to this, others might not be.

As a disclaimer, I'm also struggling a bit right now with a new headphone playback system that seems to be quite ruthless with any shortcomings in a headphone.

The headband is less comfortable than the 560 and the earpads get hot quicker. (This is odd since the same ones are used on the 560.. or so I thought.) But of course it's a fraction of the price.

In terms of finish, they are very acceptable IMO, sort of a stealth matt black. It would have been nice if you could tell left and right by feel rather than having to look for the tiny printed "L" and "R". The drivers don't swivel in and out, which for some people might make fitting/seal/bass response an issue.

JohnR

Re: HE4XX
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2017, 08:10 am »
Sorry I think I lied... It's a combination of needing some boost in the 3-4k range, which means bringing 9k down more.

Anyway I'm getting there :)

BigChubby

Re: HE4XX
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2017, 02:21 pm »
Interesting comments about the 400 series.  Me and my 560s are inseparable.  Right now, it is my planar of choice.  I've got some older LCD-3s - before those fazor thingys - and at first I thought they were "it".  Then a friend suggested I listen to his 560s and now the 3s spend most of their time in the nice glossy box they came in.  Glad the 400s are to your liking despite some fit issues.  Headphones are the hardest thing to get "right" as far as personal preferences go.