Hello

Azeria

Hello
« on: 15 Nov 2017, 04:26 am »
I'm just an audio enthusiast looking for information on how move from the CD/SACD age into purely digital.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2017, 11:44 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Azeria.  :beer:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2017, 12:48 pm »
Welcome Azeria,

One of the the easiest, cheapest way is to use your computer as the music server and add a Digital/Analog Convertor (DAC), checking to make sure both components use the same connectors.  I ripped all my CDs (copied to the computer permanent drive) using iTunes (takes about 7 minutes per disc).  Search the Apple Circle for a ripping primer that our fearless leader JohnR created for the exact how to.  I use my laptop with a 10 ft USB cable (shorter runs recommended but I use the laptop while listening) and connect to a USB DAC/preamp that is remote controlled, but even cheaper options exist.   

DAC costs range from $100 on up.  The technology has been changing rapidly, so buying used or 'over investing' can be a mistake.  Another great option is to get a $20/month subscription to Tidal (millions of CD quality real time downloads that stores the songs you've heard and learns/suggest other albums to you).  I have an audiophile friend who uses only Tidal, with a $35 Chromecast wireless receiver/DAC that he controls from his smartphone. 

Better sound quality can be had by using a dedicated music server that is specifically designed for music playback, but currently requires some computer knowledge to setup plus a tablet/smartphone/computer to wirelessly control, with prices starting around $500.  Note that years ago it was popular to dedicate/even modify a Mac Mini for audio use, but with the advent of dedicated/audio designed servers that is no longer viable from a cost/sound quality standpoint.

Various PCM/DSD/DXD digital formats exist.  DSD/DXD are closest to SACD, but not sure about the conversion possibilities.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2017, 01:36 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2017, 04:08 pm »
Welcome aboard Azeria :thumb:
Maybe this help:
http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/
DXD is a PCM format 24/352.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2017, 07:40 pm by FullRangeMan »

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2017, 07:24 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, Azeria.