Restoring a pair of Altec Valencias

S Clark

• Measurements don't make your toes tap
Re: Restoring a pair of Altec Valencias
« Reply #60 on: 2 Nov 2017, 02:36 am »
Did Danny get the parameters of the 15" ? The TS stuff? I'm curious. I'm sure he has a woofer tester.

Maybe the answer is to build a deck for listening and BBQ? You do live in TX...
You've got a PM on TS parameters. 
As to the deck... I like that idea.  The slab and BBQ part are already in place, just have to move 100 lb speakers back and forth. 

S Clark

« Reply #61 on: 2 Nov 2017, 02:46 am »
Or you might realize you now have the best garage system in your neighborhood...maybe all of Abilene!  Rock your neighbors!  :drums: :guitar: :rock:
I have been, even though the closest one is 1/4 mile away. I live a few miles outside of town. There are advantages to country living. Even outdoors, you can crank up the volume. But I think Folsom is on to something.  It may be time to fire up the BBQ and invite a bunch of folks out for some food and outdoor listening in the back yard. 

nickd

« Reply #62 on: 5 Nov 2017, 02:30 am »
Thanks for the listening notes S Clark.

I love the LS9’s too. In my room however I couldn’t tame the bass nodes they excited. I never considered DSP as I had never heard one that was transparent enough to satisfy me.

When I read a review on the Lyngdorf TDAI 2170, I thought what the heck, I should give one a try. I’ll sell the thing if it sounds bad. I wanted a new DAC anyway and It wasn’t crazy money. The tech used in the design was light years ahead of what most companies are putting out.

All I can say is if I had owned this amp when I built my LS9’s I would still have them. Using well designed DSP and digital crossovers is a game changer for room issues. I could never go back.

I have had some crazy good speakers overt the years, yet getting a well balanced in room response with killer imaging was almost impossible. One or two dB peak or null in the wrong place just bugs me after a few weeks. So I would sell the speakers and try to find something better.

You should hear the Altec’s with just a touch of DSP magic. They can’t Image like the LS9’s, nothing can. But they make lifelike music indeed.

Bring us up date this spring when you get them outside. going to impress yout guests for sure..

S Clark

« Reply #63 on: 6 Nov 2017, 04:32 am »
Cloth grills are done with a reversable fabric, black diamond on one side, gold diamond on the other.

fredgarvin

« Reply #64 on: 6 Nov 2017, 03:50 pm »
I love those grills.

S Clark

« Reply #65 on: 6 Nov 2017, 04:13 pm »
Thanks, Fred.  I'm happy with the way they turned out also. Most importantly, my wife likes the way they look. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #66 on: 6 Nov 2017, 04:15 pm »
That's a "win win" right there.  :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #67 on: 6 Nov 2017, 08:14 pm »
Are you trying to make the gold diamond look better by juxtaposing it next to some dog ass?

S Clark

« Reply #68 on: 6 Nov 2017, 08:29 pm »
Are you trying to make the gold diamond look better by juxtaposing it next to some dog ass?
Hey, that's my listening partner you're talking about! 
I had just put on some CSN&Y, and he was leaving the room.  He only listens to jazz and classical.  :thumb:

JakeJ

• Volunteer
  • Summer in My Neck O' The Sand!
« Reply #69 on: 7 Nov 2017, 01:55 am »
Your dog has excellent taste!  He wasn't leaving due to the music choice, he just wanted to photobomb the shot with his butt.

Smart dog.  Good dog.

SteveFord

• Admin
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #70 on: 8 Nov 2017, 10:23 am »
Your dog has excellent taste!  He wasn't leaving due to the music choice, he just wanted to photobomb the shot with his butt.

Smart dog.  Good dog.

Thanks, I needed a laugh. 

If those speakers sound as nice as they look you've got it made.

MerRev

« Reply #71 on: 9 Nov 2017, 03:07 am »
Those diamond grill cloths are icing on the cake.   :thumb:
Where did you find them?
Thanks for taking us through your journey and sharing Dannys expertise with the old girls.

S Clark

« Reply #72 on: 9 Nov 2017, 05:07 am »
Those diamond grill cloths are icing on the cake.   :thumb:
Where did you find them?
Thanks for taking us through your journey and sharing Dannys expertise with the old girls.
Kenneth Richmond of Richmond Designs Inc.  He specializes in cloth for old radio restoration... lots of patterns to choose from and he'll cut to order. 
Not as cheap as typical ebay stuff, but I thought it was worth a bit extra for a pattern that was a better match.  Easy to deal with and good communications.  http://www.richmonddesignsinc.com