Best computer speakers to run off Audioengine D1 DAC.

Huck

Looking to upgrade my Logitech speakers with something a little better,must have RCA inputs and possible sub-out.
I am looking now at the Kanto YU6 and Sub8 and for much more money and equipment needed to run a sub...Mackie MR624(no rca in and no sub-out)...but a different class altogether and certainly not cheap.
 Kanto setup is around $800 with 8 inch sub,Mackie is around $1500 with 10 inch sub.
 Audioengine A5+ ...possibly?!
What else should I be looking at?...Thanks,Huck

hdspeakerman

Re: Best computer speakers to run off Audioengine D1 DAC.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2017, 01:46 am »
JBL LS305

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2017, 03:42 am »
- How big is your room?
- how much space do you have on your desk or do you have speaker stands?
- how close are you to the speakers?
- how far from the rear wall can you be?
- are you intent on a 2.1 or are you ok with a 2.0 setup

A couple days ago someone had some Vanatoo speakers on sale here for a very good price that's worth looking into.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2017, 10:23 am »
Both the JBL 305 and Vanatoo are good choices.  Have heard both (had the JBL's here for a couple of weeks).  Not sure about connections, but "Y" connections and RCA/XLR adapters at the preamp output could take care of hookup issues (check out Parts Express and Monoprice).

Also check out audiostream.com for good reviews of powered/active desktop speakers.

Huck

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2017, 10:43 am »
JBL LS305
Looking for a sub-out...no room for an extra controller. Thanks,Huck

Huck

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2017, 10:44 am »
Both the JBL 305 and Vanatoo are good choices.  Have heard both (had the JBL's here for a couple of weeks).  Not sure about connections, but "Y" connections and RCA/XLR adapters at the preamp output could take care of hookup issues (check out Parts Express and Monoprice).

Also check out audiostream.com for good reviews of powered/active desktop speakers.
Thanks,Huck

srb

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2017, 04:14 pm »
I started a topic back in December 2016 about the Quad 9AS Active speakers that were on sale / closeout at Music Direct for $499 (50% off).

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=147352.msg1576096#msg1576096

They just really didn't catch on nor were they properly marketed, but are still available, now at $399.  As those that own / have owned the Quad 11L and 12L Actives can attest, they are high quality speakers with good quality drivers.  (I have owned the Quad 11L passive).

Unlike the Audioengine, Klipsch and some others, these are fully active with an electronic crossover and 65W + 35W Class AB amplifier channels for each driver.  The electronics are housed in a heatsinked base isolated from the drivers and there is a subwoofer output.

It's possible that the internal DAC could outperform (or not) the Audioengine D1 DAC, so it's worth trying, although I will note that on one forum a user experienced a brief dropout on the first track on one of his digital sources.

Steve

Huck

« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2017, 12:45 pm »
Since I will be running two active monitors and a single sub eventually,I would now need a controller to have a single volume control for all three....since I will only be using one source,what would be a good controller for this situation? Thanks,Huck

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2017, 02:35 pm »
What is your budget and does it fit within C&C guidelines?

srb

« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2017, 02:48 pm »
Since I will be running two active monitors and a single sub eventually,I would now need a controller to have a single volume control for all three....since I will only be using one source,what would be a good controller for this situation?

If you use a pair of monitors like the Quad 9AS (active), Audioengine A5+, Peachtree M24 (powered), etc., you will have both a physical volume control on the front of the master speaker as well as a remote volume control and won't need any additional controller.  The subwoofer outputs are variable volume controlled.

Steve

Huck

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2017, 07:59 pm »
What is your budget and does it fit within C&C guidelines?
  Yeah...I guess it will not fit within the guidelines....Sorry! Huck
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2017, 12:07 am by Huck »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2017, 02:26 am »
  Yeah...I guess it will not fit within the guidelines....Sorry! Huck

No problem at all, I'll send it over to Enclosures.  It will likely get more response over there anyway.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2017, 06:30 pm »
If you go with the JBL LSR305, I doubt you'd need a subwoofer unless you're insane  :P

Huck

« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2017, 06:47 pm »
If you go with the JBL LSR305, I doubt you'd need a subwoofer unless you're insane  :P
After all the talk about them all around and You Tube vids....I went ahead and bought a pair of those J Bee L 305's....gonna have to wait till next week,on order.
JBL says that they run them at full power for 100 hours to weed out any problems (marketing hype,most likely).....Yeah,I am insane! Huck :lol:

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2017, 07:07 pm »
I have the Peachtree M24 powered speakers for the office. I've had them for about three months but I've been away from home traveling so haven't put a lot of listening hours in but I've liked what I've heard so far. Subwoofer and phono capable, if that's of interest, and it seems to be the selling point for some. Retails $369 pair.

Cheers,
Lester

24/96 USB digital audio input
Phono input
24/96 optical digital audio input for an audio streamer, TV or other digital device
Bluetooth for wireless connection from a mobile device or computer (including A/V Remote Control Profile)

Additional M24 Features
* 4" fiberglass woofer
* 1" soft-dome tweeter
* Subwoofer output for additional bass
* 5V USB charging port to keep your mobile device charged
* IR wireless remote control with power, input and bass and treble controls
* Front panel volume control and input selection
* Front panel LEDs indicate power and selected input
* Power amplification: 2 X 50W
* Right-sized at 8.8 inches tall, 5.5 inches wide and 8.4 inches deep (including connectors)
* It’s from Peachtree so it sounds great!

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S23C2AtSkQY&sns=em

srb

« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2017, 07:22 pm »
The LSR305 probably have the highest SPL for the buck.  I've played around with them but have not had them in my home for close scrutiny.

My initial reaction was I prefer finesse and articulation and I don't listen to much rock music.  Regardless, not sure that a horn loaded tweeter would be my choice for close nearfield desktop use.

Huck

« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2017, 12:54 pm »
Looking for a good powered sub that mates well with the 305's...currently looking at the KRK 8s.I need a small foot-print,so the JBL is out.
Anyone using the 8S? Thanks,Huck

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #18 on: 13 Nov 2017, 06:43 pm »
Good and compact, but expensive: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/7040APM

Huck